ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

VR

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
feduppostie
Posts: 947
Joined: 24 Jun 2007, 19:46

VR

Post by feduppostie »

Anyone know the 'rules for VR? Anyone know if they are likely to be offered anytime soon?
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

VR

Post by robbertwhitton »

I ask my so called boss everyday,I’ve done 38 years and at 58 not enjoying the toxic work environment one bit,and would be happy to go to make the savings he’s continually on about.i wonder just what he does say at these meetings and conference calls,
stodgy88
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 641
Joined: 14 Nov 2008, 20:11
Gender: Male

VR

Post by stodgy88 »

Should be decided on seniority, in my office 2 just been paid off ,not VR ,not IHR,they asked about VR ,was invited to a meeting and offered £20,000 each (full timers ) ,no senority involved,looks like a cheaper way to get rid of people,not sure of unions take on this,another local office just got shut of 9 the same way I was told .Both been with royal mail 30 years plus ,but not top of senority list.
GRS
Posts: 826
Joined: 15 Jun 2015, 18:38
Gender: Female
Location: South West

VR

Post by GRS »

All very well if you can walk into something else or are so well off you don’t need to work but. £20,000 is F All. Bearing in mind we’re apparently about to hit the biggest economic downturn in 300 odd years there ain’t gonna be a lot of work to pick up.
TheStrangler
Posts: 218
Joined: 27 Jun 2017, 10:41
Gender: Male

VR

Post by TheStrangler »

stodgy88 wrote:Should be decided on seniority, in my office 2 just been paid off ,not VR ,not IHR,they asked about VR ,was invited to a meeting and offered £20,000 each (full timers ) ,no senority involved,looks like a cheaper way to get rid of people,not sure of unions take on this,another local office just got shut of 9 the same way I was told .Both been with royal mail 30 years plus ,but not top of senority list.
Are you in a delivery office, mail centre or rdc?
Sounds interesting. I'm assuming they're union members?
Did they go to the main manager in the office or higher up nationally?
Can't imagine union being happy with this though I don't blame those postmen at all, you've got to do what's best for you and maybe they weren't getting any joy from their local rep when asking about vr so decided to just bypass him/union?
fosal29
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 48
Joined: 25 Aug 2008, 20:28
Gender: Male

VR

Post by fosal29 »

I took VR 6 weeks ago at the end of the financial year. I worked in a small delivery office & to make the office savings the DOM said one could go on VR. I was going to leave anyway at 60 in just over 2 years time so for me the timing was perfect. As i was the most senior with 38 years service i was offered it first but there were plenty behind me who would have gone given the chance. I got the full VR package of 104 weeks pay plus 8 weeks pay in lieu but my DOM thinks this wont be around for much longer.
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

VR

Post by Seymour Buts »

fosal29 wrote:I took VR 6 weeks ago at the end of the financial year. I worked in a small delivery office & to make the office savings the DOM said one could go on VR. I was going to leave anyway at 60 in just over 2 years time so for me the timing was perfect. As i was the most senior with 38 years service i was offered it first but there were plenty behind me who would have gone given the chance. I got the full VR package of 104 weeks pay plus 8 weeks pay in lieu but my DOM thinks this wont be around for much longer.
Are you retiring out of interest?
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

VR

Post by rambo1 »

fosal29 wrote:I took VR 6 weeks ago at the end of the financial year. I worked in a small delivery office & to make the office savings the DOM said one could go on VR. I was going to leave anyway at 60 in just over 2 years time so for me the timing was perfect. As i was the most senior with 38 years service i was offered it first but there were plenty behind me who would have gone given the chance. I got the full VR package of 104 weeks pay plus 8 weeks pay in lieu but my DOM thinks this wont be around for much longer.
Good on ya. Crazy though that they are actually not saving any money at all for the next two yrs . They're paying the same out that they would have paid you anyway if you were there, plus someone else is probably taking up the slack on overtime. No wonder the company is knackered.
Grumpyoldmailman
Posts: 810
Joined: 24 Nov 2019, 22:29
Gender: Male

VR

Post by Grumpyoldmailman »

Few have asked up here and have been told there are between 2000 - 2500 people leaving RM every month at the moment so with a recruitment freeze they will get down to the numbers they want without paying VR and loaning out will become a bigger thing between offices with high/low staffing levels.
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

VR

Post by robbertwhitton »

fosal29 wrote:I took VR 6 weeks ago at the end of the financial year. I worked in a small delivery office & to make the office savings the DOM said one could go on VR. I was going to leave anyway at 60 in just over 2 years time so for me the timing was perfect. As i was the most senior with 38 years service i was offered it first but there were plenty behind me who would have gone given the chance. I got the full VR package of 104 weeks pay plus 8 weeks pay in lieu but my DOM thinks this wont be around for much longer.
Well done you my friend,so many different stories on this topic,bombarded by various different replies and what is going on and offered from office to office as with everything in this business,but then our boss doesn’t speak to us much anyway,would I be be better to go above him and confirm my interest in evr? As I’ve said before we keep hearing about what savings are needed etc,
stodgy88
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 641
Joined: 14 Nov 2008, 20:11
Gender: Male

VR

Post by stodgy88 »

Are you in a delivery office, mail centre or rdc?
Sounds interesting. I'm assuming they're union members?
Did they go to the main manager in the office or higher up nationally?
Can't imagine union being happy with this though I don't blame those postmen at all, you've got to do what's best for you and maybe they weren't getting any joy from their local rep when asking about vr so decided to just bypass him/union?
I work in a DO,told by DOM that they asked about VR,so I presume they asked the DOM,i mentioned VR seemed dismissive,but I suppose if they can remove people for half the price they aren't likely to give you any encouragement .
fosal29
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 48
Joined: 25 Aug 2008, 20:28
Gender: Male

VR

Post by fosal29 »

Seymour Buts wrote:
fosal29 wrote:I took VR 6 weeks ago at the end of the financial year. I worked in a small delivery office & to make the office savings the DOM said one could go on VR. I was going to leave anyway at 60 in just over 2 years time so for me the timing was perfect. As i was the most senior with 38 years service i was offered it first but there were plenty behind me who would have gone given the chance. I got the full VR package of 104 weeks pay plus 8 weeks pay in lieu but my DOM thinks this wont be around for much longer.
Are you retiring out of interest?
Yes. I paid off the remaining mortgage and will take a weekly income from whats left of the lump sum. I'm actually slightly better off but obviously will only have 38 rather than 40 years pension. I haven't decided what to do about my pension yet whether to take it early or try and wait until 60.