ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

PDA

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Cluaran
Posts: 97
Joined: 03 Aug 2019, 23:23
Gender: Male

PDA

Post by Cluaran »

Has anyone else's PDA been crashing on a regular basis after the latest update?
Jamesfr3man
Posts: 46
Joined: 10 Jun 2019, 20:04
Gender: Male

PDA

Post by Jamesfr3man »

Everyday, also sometimes the scanner button stops working and I have to turn the screen off and on for it to work, or in some scenarios I have to give it a "light" tap for the scanner to work. Not to mention the time it takes to log into the damn things when scanning my frame, you'd think RM would have this sorted my now :roll:
Rael, the IAK
Posts: 109
Joined: 19 Dec 2018, 13:08
Gender: Male

PDA

Post by Rael, the IAK »

Only crashed on me once in the last 2 weeks. But quite often it won't scan after waking it up. Either have to do an off and on again or back a level and reselect outdoor for it to work.
Dannybuca
Posts: 49
Joined: 02 Jul 2018, 06:18
Gender: Male

PDA

Post by Dannybuca »

Jamesfr3man wrote:Everyday, also sometimes the scanner button stops working and I have to turn the screen off and on for it to work, or in some scenarios I have to give it a "light" tap for the scanner to work. Not to mention the time it takes to log into the damn things when scanning my frame, you'd think RM would have this sorted my now :roll:
What you mentioned about the scanner is exactly my experience in the last week or two. If I put it on standby, when reopening it I have to flick the screen off and on again maybe 75%+ of the time. Over the course of a day that gets more than a little tedious! :arrrghhh
Rael, the IAK
Posts: 109
Joined: 19 Dec 2018, 13:08
Gender: Male

PDA

Post by Rael, the IAK »

And an annoying thing from the update. The font used on the screen for the name of the person accepting a signed for packet is now too small. Can't see it properly with my old eyes.
olilew
Posts: 594
Joined: 19 May 2010, 22:04
Gender: Male

PDA

Post by olilew »

Had various problems with them everyday but my biggest bugbear is accidentally touching the screen and losing data or it going to 'incident'. We had a guy hauled into the office for 'missing several scans' He was getting taken down the disciplinary procedure when it came to light that his pda was faulty. These things are going to cost posties their jobs if they don't sort them out! Having said that I wouldn't put it past them for that to be part of the ir masterplan.
"Just take it out and see how you go......."
Grumpyoldmailman
Posts: 810
Joined: 24 Nov 2019, 22:29
Gender: Male

PDA

Post by Grumpyoldmailman »

Oh yes mine crashes at least twice a day and when it does scan it is painfully slow. I would say it slows me down by about 20 minutes each day. Add that up over the business and it’s serious money.
Pumpernickel
Posts: 155
Joined: 09 Nov 2019, 20:55
Gender: Male

PDA

Post by Pumpernickel »

Around lunchtime every day.

I'm using 2 (covering collections for 2 walks) and find that; when I notice the one I'm using has crashed, the other asks for login (probably also crashed).
chickenwittle
Posts: 2095
Joined: 15 Nov 2009, 09:43
Gender: Male

PDA

Post by chickenwittle »

Mark_F wrote:Around lunchtime every day.

I'm using 2 (covering collections for 2 walks) and find that; when I notice the one I'm using has crashed, the other asks for login (probably also crashed).
Same for me , lunchtime every day , I’ve told the manager that tracked items are probably not being scanned due to this as it happens mid scanning .
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

PDA

Post by Celgar »

PDA has been a bit more annoying of late in terms of software crashing etc.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

PDA

Post by rambo1 »

Is anyone else signing 1dx thus not having to turn the pda around to sign xp1? I figured this out a couple of weeks ago. Good time saving shortcut.
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

PDA

Post by Seymour Buts »

I restart mine at the end of every shift, you tend to have less problems. They're just phones, and if you keep them running endlessly they go slow. That said, since the update it crashes more. Had to knock on the door to rescan a special the other day coz it crashed before I could submit my signature.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12194
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

PDA

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Anyone know what version of Android the PDAs now run (I suspect that it'll be at least 3 versions behind the current version of Android)?
ted_e_bear
Posts: 4110
Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 19:37
Gender: Male

PDA

Post by ted_e_bear »

SpacePhoenix wrote:Anyone know what version of Android the PDAs now run (I suspect that it'll be at least 3 versions behind the current version of Android)?
Just googled tc75 PDA looks like they're on android 5 so only 5 versions behind, I'd say the issue is the 1gb ram though that's why they keep crashing there's too much crap constantly running in the background tracking us etc.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bboingg
Posts: 69
Joined: 21 Jun 2017, 20:35
Gender: Male

PDA

Post by Bboingg »

Reboot every morning, but PDA still crashes regularly .