ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Not enough time to complete the workload in

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
edward918
Posts: 40
Joined: 23 Feb 2018, 21:37
Gender: Male

Not enough time to complete the workload in

Post by edward918 »

Got told that my hours (part-timer) would be from today:
Start: 9:30am
Finish: 14:15pm and that I will be delivering parcels (including oversize) for 2 duties.

Had 6 packet bags in total (3 per walk), each full to the brim, so in total, well over 80+ packets to deliver plus 5 specials. I didn't actually start delivering until around 11am due to faffing around, trying my best to put each parcel in order.

Managed to get rid of roughly 60 packets, might have been able to do more but as I had no idea where I was going on both duties, I was pretty much blind. Had to cut off at around 2pm and bring back well over 30+ packets, some were tracked but the majority were normal ones.

I'm sorry, but how on earth are Management expecting people to deliver that amount in such a short time? :arrrghhh
Busterbear
Posts: 76
Joined: 23 Oct 2013, 13:22
Gender: Male

Not enough time to complete the workload in

Post by Busterbear »

You did your best Edward , you can’t do anymore than that . Well done mate :thumbup
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Not enough time to complete the workload in

Post by krussel »

I cannot see it working not even for 7 weeks. It was pretty much the same at our office.

You just come in and work your time and go home. No OT being paid anyway.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
terry2972
Posts: 482
Joined: 17 Jan 2014, 15:26
Gender: Male

Not enough time to complete the workload in

Post by terry2972 »

Please don’t worry it really doesn’t matter as long as you worked your hrs it doesn’t really matter my office failed at least five shrouds of tracked parcels, it’s a big unit
worktotime
Posts: 2866
Joined: 14 May 2010, 20:47
Gender: Male

Not enough time to complete the workload in

Post by worktotime »

edward918 wrote:Got told that my hours (part-timer) would be from today:
Start: 9:30am
Finish: 14:15pm and that I will be delivering parcels (including oversize) for 2 duties.

Had 6 packet bags in total (3 per walk), each full to the brim, so in total, well over 80+ packets to deliver plus 5 specials. I didn't actually start delivering until around 11am due to faffing around, trying my best to put each parcel in order.

Managed to get rid of roughly 60 packets, might have been able to do more but as I had no idea where I was going on both duties, I was pretty much blind. Had to cut off at around 2pm and bring back well over 30+ packets, some were tracked but the majority were normal ones.

I'm sorry, but how on earth are Management expecting people to deliver that amount in such a short time? :arrrghhh
they can expect what they want but back in the real world , don't worry about it and just do what you can within your hours and then go back :wave , we all knew that there great plan was going to be a nightmare so what doesn't get done is there problem not ours.
Rommagic
Posts: 1518
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 16:52

Not enough time to complete the workload in

Post by Rommagic »

We got loads of parcels like Xmas so too start this system on Saturdays is silly.
Pumpernickel
Posts: 155
Joined: 09 Nov 2019, 20:55
Gender: Male

Not enough time to complete the workload in

Post by Pumpernickel »

Don't bother trying to sort parcels in order at the start.

Sort your tracked first, then other parcels sort by street.
Take a couple of bags with you for shorter stretches where you have a few smaller parcels.
Have a set street you start at and have that nearest the vans back door.
Head out to starting street (you should know which will be your first address), and deliver whatever parcels (sorting into order as you go).
As you finish a street, pull your next street nearer the door and sort it into some kind of order (or bag it up if appriopriate).
If you're getting pushed for time, forget anything that isn't a special or tracked.
If you don't know the round, then consider doing all tracked first, then going back doing other parcels if you have time.

It must be said though that the vans the majority of us use for transporting mail to our walks are not fit for the purpose of pure parcel deliveries. They don't have enough space for some of our current volumes (it's damned hard finding stuff you know is there until you've cleared a lot of it), and getting in and out every few seconds isn't doing anyone any good (hence the occasional stroll with a bag of parcels that are in a small area).

Last thing (and most important): you can only do what you can do. Don't rush, and don't panic about not getting finished.
panzer4
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 173
Joined: 25 Jul 2015, 10:58
Gender: Male

Not enough time to complete the workload in

Post by panzer4 »

Mark-f got to agree with you on sorting areas into bags and putting in order as you get to start point .one thing i have found that really helps is carpet the back floor of the van it stops everything sliding around got mine brand new out of a skip customer only to happy to help :wave
HTPostman
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1505
Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
Gender: Male

Not enough time to complete the workload in

Post by HTPostman »

Similar to me, no OT, here’s your parcels get rid of as many as you can. I’ll echo what others have said - any of the later sections I just put in sacks. Keeps them all together at the back of the van, I can’t stand having to search for 5mins for a parcel.

I wouldn’t worry what you did and didn’t get done, just do your hours and go home. The runners (I saw 2 driving back into the yard at 10.30 and signed out a full 2hrs 30mins early!!!) will end up taking a hell of a lot more when upper management want to know why parcels weren’t cleared yet X amount of staff went home early.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.

526
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Not enough time to complete the workload in

Post by rambo1 »

edward918 wrote:Got told that my hours (part-timer) would be from today:
Start: 9:30am
Finish: 14:15pm and that I will be delivering parcels (including oversize) for 2 duties.

Had 6 packet bags in total (3 per walk), each full to the brim, so in total, well over 80+ packets to deliver plus 5 specials. I didn't actually start delivering until around 11am due to faffing around, trying my best to put each parcel in order.

Managed to get rid of roughly 60 packets, might have been able to do more but as I had no idea where I was going on both duties, I was pretty much blind. Had to cut off at around 2pm and bring back well over 30+ packets, some were tracked but the majority were normal ones.

I'm sorry, but how on earth are Management expecting people to deliver that amount in such a short time? :arrrghhh
Sounds like you did a pretty good job considering.
Grumpyoldmailman
Posts: 810
Joined: 24 Nov 2019, 22:29
Gender: Male

Not enough time to complete the workload in

Post by Grumpyoldmailman »

Chin up mate, forget about it you did your best that’s all you can do. Your manager who was home by 11am sure as hell wont still be thinking about it.
JKSmudge
Posts: 395
Joined: 26 Mar 2015, 13:39
Gender: Male

Not enough time to complete the workload in

Post by JKSmudge »

As previously stated - concentrate on specials and tracked as priority ( same as every day ), it's difficult doing 'parcel runs' esp when most people are used to doing them alongside mail.

I managed around 130 in just under 4 hours but that's over 2 walks I know pretty well ( previously done parcel deliveries for another company and it's a slightly different operation and mindset required ).

Don't beat yourself up over this - it's going to be hard for a while, but eventually it will return to 'normal'.

Hopefully after a few weeks RM will realise that there is so much time wasted and it's an inefficient method esp when taking into acccount we will have 2 days of mail to prep on Monday plus the huge backlog of packets/parcels.

Chin up ( it's all good experience - so I'm told :left: ).
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Not enough time to complete the workload in

Post by rambo1 »

JKSmudge wrote:As previously stated - concentrate on specials and tracked as priority ( same as every day ), it's difficult doing 'parcel runs' esp when most people are used to doing them alongside mail.

I managed around 130 in just under 4 hours but that's over 2 walks I know pretty well ( previously done parcel deliveries for another company and it's a slightly different operation and mindset required ).

Don't beat yourself up over this - it's going to be hard for a while, but eventually it will return to 'normal'.

Hopefully after a few weeks RM will realise that there is so much time wasted and it's an inefficient method esp when taking into acccount we will have 2 days of mail to prep on Monday plus the huge backlog of packets/parcels.

Chin up ( it's all good experience - so I'm told :left: ).
Plus d to d to prep into your frame Monday morning and all on shorter day ( in our office anyway) 7hr 30.
Flashman_
Posts: 363
Joined: 05 Jan 2010, 00:08
Gender: Male

Not enough time to complete the workload in

Post by Flashman_ »

I did manage to complete all the packets I took out but I have done this job when we used to do oversized packet as a driver years ago. So I was aware of the difficulty organising the sheer number of packets in a logical manner in unsuitable transport. Back then I often had to use a crew bus. I stopped doing that because the constant in and out of the van and use of the clutch gave me sciatica, Hope this does not make it return.
Blinkboy44
Posts: 48
Joined: 28 Sep 2017, 16:49
Gender: Male

Not enough time to complete the workload in

Post by Blinkboy44 »

I always agree with DOM that il be bringing back non tracked if I struggle for time, but as usually people have been in it’s been much more doable . Agreement is usually 15 packets per hour , but if your just doing them for one walk / area and most are in 80 should be quite doable. But best get assurance you can bring back non tracked if need , otherwise they can take them off you before hand if they don’t want you doing that, so no stress either way