ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Amended duties

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
robbogas1
Posts: 10
Joined: 19 Nov 2017, 09:55
Gender: Male

Amended duties

Post by robbogas1 »

It would appear my Dom is unable to find me any amended duties to facilitate my return to work. I work in a DO with 120 colleagues. I have been off for 6.5 months after getting cancer. I have had an operation which has cleared the cancer but has now caused an issue meaning that I am currently unable to fulfil my normal duties. I have been directed to OH assist and they have advised that amended duties are required. I am covered by the equality act due to the cancer. My doctor will give me a fit note advising my capabilities for amended duties. Can my Dom insist there are no amended duties and effectively lever me out the door as in 5 months time I will be on zero pay?
Last edited by robbogas1 on 23 Apr 2020, 21:13, edited 1 time in total.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Amended duties

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

To be frank, asking this on a web forum is unlikely to get you a specific and definitive answer.

My strong advice would be to contact your local CWU Branch and speak to the Equalities officer. This will mean you have the CWU behind you and if needed legal representation. I would also suggest going to Citizens Advice as well.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12194
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Amended duties

Post by SpacePhoenix »

How far away is your local MC?
robbogas1
Posts: 10
Joined: 19 Nov 2017, 09:55
Gender: Male

Amended duties

Post by robbogas1 »

HI SpacePhoenix, nearest MC would be about 40 minutes drive away, sadly that might be to far with heavy traffic for my issue. TrueBlueTerrier, i have contacted my local CWU rep and waiting for a response from him, I will contact the local branch to speak to the equalities officer though. Thanks.
General Mannerheim
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2299
Joined: 14 Dec 2007, 13:10
Gender: Male
Location: Stalag 17

Amended duties

Post by General Mannerheim »

Only if you let them get away with levering you out the door. :roll: You have the law on your side especially with any Cancer diagnosis.
They have to provide you with a reasonable adjustment, simply saying there are no duties you can do is a Royal Mail Managers trait that is endemic in this business.
I had to take them to an employment tribunal twice but would do it again in a heartbeat as I don't like bullshitters and bullys.
Royal Mail managers.....about as popular as a t.urd in a swimming pool!
The DDA/Equality Act demands action,NOT words......adjustments NOT Occupational Health referrals.Case No:2505901/09
Royal Mail is an Equal Opportunities Employer..It discriminates against everybody.
Decky Boy
Posts: 440
Joined: 22 May 2009, 10:00
Gender: Male

Amended duties

Post by Decky Boy »

robbogas1 wrote:HI SpacePhoenix, nearest MC would be about 40 minutes drive away, sadly that might be to far with heavy traffic for my issue. TrueBlueTerrier, i have contacted my local CWU rep and waiting for a response from him, I will contact the local branch to speak to the equalities officer though. Thanks.
As a stopgap measure a temp shift to your mail centre.sounds like a good idea to me ? It is unlikely that road traffic will be busy for next two or three months as much of the population are following the government guidelines to "Stay at Home' ?

Good Luck :thumbup
robbogas1
Posts: 10
Joined: 19 Nov 2017, 09:55
Gender: Male

Amended duties

Post by robbogas1 »

General Mannerheim, Decky Boy, thank you both for your comments. Will be talking to my local rep and equalities officer tomorrow to discuss how to move forward with this. Will let you know how I get on going forward.
97gaz
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1023
Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
Gender: Male

Amended duties

Post by 97gaz »

I'm under the impression they have to attempt to make reasonable adjustments. They can refuse if they have no scope for it. They can't do it without a reasonable excuse though.