ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Tax Codes
-
xPandabear1992x
- Posts: 286
- Joined: 29 Jul 2019, 00:49
- Gender: Male
Tax Codes
I've been an OPG for nearly a year, on a 28 hour contract. I'm not really sure what tax code I'm supposed to be on. Was about £30 quid a week tax wise, could live with that. But as of April 2020 its gone up another £30. Bit worried now. Any advice would be appreciated.
-
stodgy88
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 641
- Joined: 14 Nov 2008, 20:11
- Gender: Male
Tax Codes
don't believe your tax rate as changed from last year,so tax should be the same,i was under impression that NI rates had changed and I would be around £2 per week better off ,but was actually a few pence worse off ,not sure if that helps.
-
BeamishStout
- Posts: 387
- Joined: 19 Sep 2012, 14:42
- Gender: Male
Tax Codes
I'd advise you get proactive and register on the gov website so that you can check your tax codes online. Believe me it gets more important as you get nearer to retirement as you can also check other financial information such as National Insurance contributions, Pension estimates, Claim for allowances and so on.xPandabear1992x wrote:I've been an OPG for nearly a year, on a 28 hour contract. I'm not really sure what tax code I'm supposed to be on. Was about £30 quid a week tax wise, could live with that. But as of April 2020 its gone up another £30. Bit worried now. Any advice would be appreciated.
https://www.gov.uk/personal-tax-account" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-
clockworkjerk
- POST OFFICE
- Posts: 54
- Joined: 02 Nov 2008, 22:45
- Gender: Male
Tax Codes
28 x 12 = 17472.
Round it up to 18000 at a minimum - almost impossible you don't do any OT at all + xmas bonus. Plus the hourly rate is actually more than £12 spot on.
18000 = £21 TAX & £19 NI as your minimum before overtime.
https://listentotaxman.com/18000" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?
Round it up to 18000 at a minimum - almost impossible you don't do any OT at all + xmas bonus. Plus the hourly rate is actually more than £12 spot on.
18000 = £21 TAX & £19 NI as your minimum before overtime.
https://listentotaxman.com/18000" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?
-
xPandabear1992x
- Posts: 286
- Joined: 29 Jul 2019, 00:49
- Gender: Male
Tax Codes
Thanks for getting back. On the tax code im on at the moment (1T/0) I’ve gone from paying £120/month in tax to £240. Curiously, when I enter this tax code on gov.uk it says “there’s a problem with your tax code”.clockworkjerk wrote:28 x 12 = 17472.
Round it up to 18000 at a minimum - almost impossible you don't do any OT at all + xmas bonus. Plus the hourly rate is actually more than £12 spot on.
18000 = £21 TAX & £19 NI as your minimum before overtime.
https://listentotaxman.com/18000" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?
-
rogersh
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 1374
- Joined: 26 Oct 2011, 11:31
- Gender: Male
Tax Codes
You are correct, the Tax code remained the same as the previous tax year.stodgy88 wrote:don't believe your tax rate as changed from last year,so tax should be the same,i was under impression that NI rates had changed and I would be around £2 per week better off ,but was actually a few pence worse off ,not sure if that helps.
Personal Tax Allowance £12,500 (plus 120 RM uniform)
National Insurance threshold increased to £9,500 p.a. 12% tax on pay above that figure.
-
rogersh
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 1374
- Joined: 26 Oct 2011, 11:31
- Gender: Male
Tax Codes
Tried a search for the tax code you gave 1T/0. I can only find info relating to the letter "T".xPandabear1992x wrote:Thanks for getting back. On the tax code im on at the moment (1T/0) I’ve gone from paying £120/month in tax to £240. Curiously, when I enter this tax code on gov.uk it says “there’s a problem with your tax code”.clockworkjerk wrote:28 x 12 = 17472.
Round it up to 18000 at a minimum - almost impossible you don't do any OT at all + xmas bonus. Plus the hourly rate is actually more than £12 spot on.
18000 = £21 TAX & £19 NI as your minimum before overtime.
https://listentotaxman.com/18000" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?
T At basic, higher and additional rates depending on the amount of taxable income When HMRC needs to review some items with the employee
Unsure if this info is specific to your code. You should contact HMRC. https://www.gov.uk/government/organisat ... -employees" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-
Rael, the IAK
- Posts: 109
- Joined: 19 Dec 2018, 13:08
- Gender: Male
Tax Codes
You're not getting your tax free personal allowance with that code. You will be paying tax on the whole of your gross pay. Get on to HMRC as soon as possible to find out why they have given you that code for the new tax year.
-
Steve_claret
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 324
- Joined: 17 Dec 2011, 14:53
- Gender: Male
Tax Codes
T = Temporary. This is when HMRC don't have enough information to allocate a permanent tax code. Why this is only they can tell you but they must think you have other income such as a pension or similar.