ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Exausted

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
dohnut
Posts: 658
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:15
Gender: Male

Exausted

Post by dohnut »

Don't know about the rest of you but I am shattered at the moment, this job is relentless at the best of times but now ☹️, even today my legs are aching and I feel knackered, just hope this eases up soon as it is to much at moment.
Edward Hunter
Posts: 680
Joined: 23 May 2007, 22:30

Exausted

Post by Edward Hunter »

Find it a bit easier tbh. I rarely have time for lapsing but that is completely off the table now. No endless 739s to write out. Packets all delivered quickly. Even managed a couple of early finishes this week. Im on a HCT job so think it may be a little easier than a shared van who are coping with more parcels.plus we are all lucky enough to be fit so no staff shortages for IPS.
Ali831
Posts: 268
Joined: 26 Aug 2019, 16:03
Gender: Female

Exausted

Post by Ali831 »

That's how I was feeling last week. Then my face started to feel hot one afternoon and I thought that and the aches were caused by a heavy day in full sunshine. Then later that evening the cough started, temp of 38.5 and it's gone over 39 several times and you can guess the rest. Currently off with covid symptoms. Look after yourselves, stay safe and don't over do it.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Exausted

Post by Postie45 »

Ali831 wrote:That's how I was feeling last week. Then my face started to feel hot one afternoon and I thought that and the aches were caused by a heavy day in full sunshine. Then later that evening the cough started, temp of 38.5 and it's gone over 39 several times and you can guess the rest. Currently off with covid symptoms. Look after yourselves, stay safe and don't over do it.
get well soon mate.

OP pace yourself.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Exausted

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Make sure you're NOT working over your usual contracted hours. Use the Over Running Procedure if it's a Monster Day with Loads of Parcels. :hmmmm

Just because Parcels have gone MAD doesn't mean you've got to exhaust yourself to put more money in Rico's pocket. :so there

We've just been told everyone's got another 3 weeks lockdown, so we're going to be in it for the long game Donut. Take it easy. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Exausted

Post by aiden01 »

Ali831 wrote:That's how I was feeling last week. Then my face started to feel hot one afternoon and I thought that and the aches were caused by a heavy day in full sunshine. Then later that evening the cough started, temp of 38.5 and it's gone over 39 several times and you can guess the rest. Currently off with covid symptoms. Look after yourselves, stay safe and don't over do it.
Good luck :thumbup
Chelseablue
Posts: 2225
Joined: 19 Aug 2013, 14:33
Gender: Female

Exausted

Post by Chelseablue »

One in a van could last a good few months ?
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Exausted

Post by Celgar »

I think the exhaustion is coming from when we get more delivery/outdoor work to do instead of the sorting & prep we usually do in our duty hours. It's not generally coming from any overrunning as the DOMs, or at least our one, is keen for us not to knacker ourselves up. Trouble is doing just delivery is an extra hit and really wears you down.
Here's hoping Boris gets on the case soon and looks at changing the restrictions. Another month of this and most people will want to move back at least a little to how we usually do things.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Exausted

Post by aiden01 »

Celgar wrote:I think the exhaustion is coming from when we get more delivery/outdoor work to do instead of the sorting & prep we usually do in our duty hours. It's not generally coming from any overrunning as the DOMs, or at least our one, is keen for us not to knacker ourselves up. Trouble is doing just delivery is an extra hit and really wears you down.
Here's hoping Boris gets on the case soon and looks at changing the restrictions. Another month of this and most people will want to move back at least a little to how we usually do things.
Another 3 wks at least personally think it will be at the least another 3 months.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12194
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Exausted

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Celgar wrote:I think the exhaustion is coming from when we get more delivery/outdoor work to do instead of the sorting & prep we usually do in our duty hours. It's not generally coming from any overrunning as the DOMs, or at least our one, is keen for us not to knacker ourselves up. Trouble is doing just delivery is an extra hit and really wears you down.
Here's hoping Boris gets on the case soon and looks at changing the restrictions. Another month of this and most people will want to move back at least a little to how we usually do things.
It'll be interesting to see if the levels of stuff bought online drop at all once the lockdown gets eased
joewyan
Posts: 382
Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
Gender: Male

Exausted

Post by joewyan »

aiden01 wrote:
Celgar wrote:I think the exhaustion is coming from when we get more delivery/outdoor work to do instead of the sorting & prep we usually do in our duty hours. It's not generally coming from any overrunning as the DOMs, or at least our one, is keen for us not to knacker ourselves up. Trouble is doing just delivery is an extra hit and really wears you down.
Here's hoping Boris gets on the case soon and looks at changing the restrictions. Another month of this and most people will want to move back at least a little to how we usually do things.
Another 3 wks at least personally think it will be at the least another 3 months.
What planet are you on? Some restrictions etc yes but not a lockdown like this. The country would be bankrupt and why would be lockdown longer than anyone?
twoloops
Posts: 2036
Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
Gender: Male
Location: Sheffield

Exausted

Post by twoloops »

I agree I believe lockdown will be lifted around the 2nd week of June
Woody Guthrie
Posts: 5166
Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
Gender: Male

Exausted

Post by Woody Guthrie »

The lockdown will be lifted gradually, not in three weeks but over the next six months perhaps longer.

Van sharing is a real headache for Royal Mail and it may never return in its present format. I certainly doubt it will be as widespread as it was.

What's really giving RM problems at the moment are the mail centres.
Only dead fish follow the current
Munchboii
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 261
Joined: 15 Oct 2019, 21:25
Gender: Male

Exausted

Post by Munchboii »

Now that people are ordering online and have the convenience of it I can see 50% of the extra volume we are shifting now becoming permanent in the fact that people may continue to use online delivery for it. The other 50% may return such as alcohol, toiletries or clothes.

In my area the amount of containers HGV per week are about 25% higher than at christmas time which just shows how busy it is.

I think it is a very worrying time for the high street but this is good for Royal Mail. With any luck this will improve Royal Mails profits and offset and cuts to our conditions for a good 5 years at least.

At Christmas time we know we are going to have 3 weeks of Hell but then relax soon after. Also staffing is at 100% with no holidays which means we get parcel assistance. However currently it has already been about 4 weeks of PRESSURE with another 2 months at least likely. I think some of our older posties will be collapsing with injuries. Our walk bags are reaching back breaking weights with all the packets thrown in.
xPandabear1992x
Posts: 286
Joined: 29 Jul 2019, 00:49
Gender: Male

Exausted

Post by xPandabear1992x »

Exhausted too. Nothing has changed in job volume really. Needing overtime because a my tax has gone up and I'm a bit povvo. But I've been starting at 12:30 due to social distancing at the DO and either I take on lots of lapse and stay out until 9PM posting stuff and burn myself out while getting taxed through the roof or I work to my time and get basic and have no money.