ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Sciatica
-
Ricardo44
- Posts: 164
- Joined: 15 Dec 2013, 20:34
- Gender: Male
Sciatica
Hi, i'm currently off work with this condition. I'm taking Ibuprofen and trying to rest as much as i can. If anyone else has had this and can offer any advice on how long its likely to last or how to deal with it i'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
-
panzer4
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 173
- Joined: 25 Jul 2015, 10:58
- Gender: Male
Sciatica
Very painful condition I had it for about six weeks before it really improved but it was months before I could drive comfortably painful to press the clutch pedal best thing is painkillers and movement afraid it takes time
-
Steve_claret
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 324
- Joined: 17 Dec 2011, 14:53
- Gender: Male
Sciatica
4 weeks I had it. Only had it the once. Was always worst first thing in the morning. Had to literally crawl out of bed and use a chair to get upright. After about 3 weeks I relented and went to the doctors. All he could offer me was that it was my age (mid fifties) and it will go eventually and keep taking ibuprofen. Gee thanks doc.
-
robbertwhitton
- Posts: 1132
- Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
- Gender: Male
Sciatica
I feel your pain my friend,I’m in pain with my hip due to mild arthritis had a steroid injection a while ago which helped,and recently pulled my ligaments in my knee ,I dispair at times,at 58 and done 38 years a bit of help on my rural round-would be nice getting in and out of my van certainly ain’t no rest! On two weeks leave now out of the cv19 debarkle at work and resting a bit,take care my friend I wish you well
-
Ricardo44
- Posts: 164
- Joined: 15 Dec 2013, 20:34
- Gender: Male
Sciatica
Thanks for the replies. I totally agree Steve, much worse in morning and turning over in bed is painful. I havent been to docs as i know they cant do much and even getting an appointment at the moment would be hard. Hopefully it will start to ease off a bit in another week or two.
-
sorefeet17
- Posts: 299
- Joined: 11 May 2015, 17:10
- Gender: Male
Sciatica
I wear ASICS Men's Patriot 2 , lightweight and grip really well in the wet.
I had really bad sciatica that lasted months, I found working/moving easier than being at home. Sorting and putting the letters in the frame was the worst bit, but once I got out on the round it wasn't as bad.
I had really bad sciatica that lasted months, I found working/moving easier than being at home. Sorting and putting the letters in the frame was the worst bit, but once I got out on the round it wasn't as bad.
-
scotchy1962
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 873
- Joined: 25 Mar 2020, 16:55
- Gender: Male
Sciatica
Its been about 5yrs since my last real bout of it, found it was using the old combo vans which you had to haul yourself out of that was causing it, a good physio can sort it out but keep taking the brufen and it should ease, nowadays if I feel it flaring up at all I just bang brufen into me until it goes away. My first bout of it ended up with 3 months physio and 6 months before I was back on full duties so be careful.
-
hazzeem025
- Posts: 280
- Joined: 11 Oct 2009, 18:09
- Gender: Male
Sciatica
Look on YouTube for Sciatica release stretches and piriformis release. I've had it on and off for 30 years but manage to keep on top of it by following a set number of stretches etc and also using a cricket ball to 'release' the piriformis muscle. It's all there on youtube but you need to find out what works for you and what doesn't.Ricardo44 wrote:Hi, i'm currently off work with this condition. I'm taking Ibuprofen and trying to rest as much as i can. If anyone else has had this and can offer any advice on how long its likely to last or how to deal with it i'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
-
sfxdby
- Posts: 81
- Joined: 28 Jan 2012, 21:48
- Gender: Male
Sciatica
Sciatica is a symptom, it's not a condition.
People have sciatica for different reasons.
I was in lot of pain when I went to my doctor, who prescribed ibuprofen every 4 hours and paracetamol every 4 hours, alternating. This work like magic. For one day. And then the pain came back, and was as bad, despite the painkillers. He did say that I could try the chiropracters, who I had always dismissed as quacks.
Going to the chiropracters was the best money I have ever spent.
He explained what he thought the problem was, how he would treat me etc.
I think it cost me about £150, four trips, and got me out of chronic pain.
I would recommend trying to use stretches, also adopting good posture when you sit, and, if the pain is chronic, go to a chiropracter that you can find good reviews about. Doctors was fairly useless for me, and I don't think the physio really helped except making me feel I was doing something for my health. Chiro gave me insight into my problem and took me out of pain.
People have sciatica for different reasons.
I was in lot of pain when I went to my doctor, who prescribed ibuprofen every 4 hours and paracetamol every 4 hours, alternating. This work like magic. For one day. And then the pain came back, and was as bad, despite the painkillers. He did say that I could try the chiropracters, who I had always dismissed as quacks.
Going to the chiropracters was the best money I have ever spent.
He explained what he thought the problem was, how he would treat me etc.
I think it cost me about £150, four trips, and got me out of chronic pain.
I would recommend trying to use stretches, also adopting good posture when you sit, and, if the pain is chronic, go to a chiropracter that you can find good reviews about. Doctors was fairly useless for me, and I don't think the physio really helped except making me feel I was doing something for my health. Chiro gave me insight into my problem and took me out of pain.
-
Ricardo44
- Posts: 164
- Joined: 15 Dec 2013, 20:34
- Gender: Male
Sciatica
Thanks again for the advice. I've taken this week off but dont want to go on long term sick unless i really have to as it may clear up in a few weeks. Trying to access doc's, hospital and physio now is also a problem. I've got holidays coming up as well so will try and ride it out. My dom's been ok about it as i dont go sick very often and i'm not on any stages.