ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Withdrawing labour.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
hazzeem025
Posts: 280
Joined: 11 Oct 2009, 18:09
Gender: Male

Withdrawing labour.

Post by hazzeem025 »

I'm considering withdrawing my labour until proper social distancing measures are put into place and enforced in my D.O. Either that or a later start time. Does anyone have a link to the H&S article? I think its clause 44 or something? Thanks.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Withdrawing labour.

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... 6.#p891655" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Withdrawing labour.

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

also https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... 77#p894477" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; may help
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
HA1
Posts: 75
Joined: 28 Mar 2020, 16:15
Gender: Male

Withdrawing labour.

Post by HA1 »

hazzeem025 wrote:I'm considering withdrawing my labour until proper social distancing measures are put into place and enforced in my D.O. Either that or a later start time. Does anyone have a link to the H&S article? I think its clause 44 or something? Thanks.

You answered your own post, just start later or do you want to stay at home and get paid for it?
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Withdrawing labour.

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

HA1 wrote:
hazzeem025 wrote:I'm considering withdrawing my labour until proper social distancing measures are put into place and enforced in my D.O. Either that or a later start time. Does anyone have a link to the H&S article? I think its clause 44 or something? Thanks.

You answered your own post, just start later or do you want to stay at home and get paid for it?
Change the tune, your boring me now.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Woody Guthrie
Posts: 5166
Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
Gender: Male

Withdrawing labour.

Post by Woody Guthrie »

Using section 44 with regards to social distancing is dangerous.

HSE and Royal Mail both follow Public Health England guidelines and that only requires an employer to implement social distancing where possible. If management are forcing members to work in close proximity you have a case but if it's physically impossible to implement or other members are simply ignoring instructions you're going to run into difficulties.

I'm not sure members fully understand the possible implications of unilaterally withdrawing their labour, unless you can clearly show an obvious and imminent threat the business can consider it a breach of contract. If an office sticks together over this it's one thing but hanging yourself out to dry on your own is a different matter.
Only dead fish follow the current
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Withdrawing labour.

Post by Dorset Plodder »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
HA1 wrote:You answered your own post, just start later or do you want to stay at home and get paid for it?
Change the tune, your boring me now.
What in only 18 posts? Or this a pseudonym? :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Withdrawing labour.

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Woody Guthrie wrote:
I'm not sure members fully understand the possible implications of unilaterally withdrawing their labour, unless you can clearly show an obvious and imminent threat the business can consider it a breach of contract. If an office sticks together over this it's one thing but hanging yourself out to dry on your own is a different matter.



I personally wouldn't feel very confident using section 44 to defend myself. :hmmmm Too much wriggle room for RM, and they are still trying to get rid of staff on any excuse. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
hazzeem025
Posts: 280
Joined: 11 Oct 2009, 18:09
Gender: Male

Withdrawing labour.

Post by hazzeem025 »

HA1 wrote:
hazzeem025 wrote:I'm considering withdrawing my labour until proper social distancing measures are put into place and enforced in my D.O. Either that or a later start time. Does anyone have a link to the H&S article? I think its clause 44 or something? Thanks.

You answered your own post, just start later or do you want to stay at home and get paid for it?
No I'm just sick of working with a bunch of idiots who are for whatever reason incapable of following the social distancing guidelines.
GRS
Posts: 826
Joined: 15 Jun 2015, 18:38
Gender: Female
Location: South West

Withdrawing labour.

Post by GRS »

hazzeem025 wrote:
HA1 wrote:
hazzeem025 wrote:I'm considering withdrawing my labour until proper social distancing measures are put into place and enforced in my D.O. Either that or a later start time. Does anyone have a link to the H&S article? I think its clause 44 or something? Thanks.

You answered your own post, just start later or do you want to stay at home and get paid for it?
No I'm just sick of working with a bunch of idiots who are for whatever reason incapable of following the social distancing guidelines.

Had the same problem. Idiots right on top of you not giving you any room and then thinking you’re taking the piss when you confront them on it. Do what I did - move to later starts. Massive benefits including more relaxed atmosphere, not permanently tired and no dick heads around.
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Withdrawing labour.

Post by aiden01 »

hazzeem025 wrote:
HA1 wrote:
hazzeem025 wrote:I'm considering withdrawing my labour until proper social distancing measures are put into place and enforced in my D.O. Either that or a later start time. Does anyone have a link to the H&S article? I think its clause 44 or something? Thanks.

You answered your own post, just start later or do you want to stay at home and get paid for it?
No I'm just sick of working with a bunch of idiots who are for whatever reason incapable of following the social distancing guidelines.
Just ignore the troll mate.
hazzeem025
Posts: 280
Joined: 11 Oct 2009, 18:09
Gender: Male

Withdrawing labour.

Post by hazzeem025 »

GRS wrote:
hazzeem025 wrote:
HA1 wrote:
hazzeem025 wrote:I'm considering withdrawing my labour until proper social distancing measures are put into place and enforced in my D.O. Either that or a later start time. Does anyone have a link to the H&S article? I think its clause 44 or something? Thanks.

You answered your own post, just start later or do you want to stay at home and get paid for it?
No I'm just sick of working with a bunch of idiots who are for whatever reason incapable of following the social distancing guidelines.

Had the same problem. Idiots right on top of you not giving you any room and then thinking you’re taking the piss when you confront them on it. Do what I did - move to later starts. Massive benefits including more relaxed atmosphere, not permanently tired and no dick heads around.
Yeah, it's looking like that's the route I'm going to take. Find some peoples attitude to this whole situation very puzzling. I've no problem going into work but I point blank refuse to work with people who won't and will not respect the social distancing guidelines. They are more concerned with getting out early and getting done early.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12194
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Withdrawing labour.

Post by SpacePhoenix »

hazzeem025 wrote:They are more concerned with getting out early and getting done early.
If they are getting back early, does the DOM never send them back out with lapsing, have them throw of d2d, clean their van, etc?
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

Withdrawing labour.

Post by Jpro747 »

I’m in the same situation mate. Getting fed up having to tell people to back off
ssdd
Posts: 2053
Joined: 06 Sep 2018, 22:39
Gender: Male

Withdrawing labour.

Post by ssdd »

The key-words in section 44 are 'serious and imminent threat'. Yet, the Government has assigned Coronavirus as a 'serious and imminent threat'.
However, how that's interpreted in practice would be circumstantial I believe. (I'm no lawyer by the way).
For example, asking a nurse/doctor to deal with a patient either knowingly or suspected to have Covid-19, would/could be deemed as a 'serious and imminent threat'.
A postie or other person within a confined environment, where practices have been shown to be taken to mitigate against the chance of infection. Well you have to ask yourself if that would stand in court.
Don't forget the Government's advice on social distancing is 'where practical'.
It all depends on your particular workplace. Have they implemented any PPE or social distancing measures? If not, then you may have a case.
The way I see it is if your workplace have implemented even a token gesture towards acknowledging the safety requirements, then a section 44 claim wouldn't stand.
As for other workers not adhering to the regulations...well you either tell them..or not.