ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Delivery Staggering & Sunday Delivery

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Jamesfr3man
Posts: 46
Joined: 10 Jun 2019, 20:04
Gender: Male

Delivery Staggering & Sunday Delivery

Post by Jamesfr3man »

Hi all, I've been with RM for about a year now as a part timer on a 25 hour contract, 5 hours a day, including Sunday enquiry office work. I usually work from 9:00 till 2:00 in the week but with the current social distancing I have been told that I have to come in at 1:30 and work till 6:30 as they have to limit the number of staff on frames in the morning and no van sharing is possible so I have to wait till some one has finished to use a van.

Is this allowed?

Also due to my contract stating that I work Sundays, I have been told to go out on delivery on Sunday as they can't cover work from the day before. So they leave it in the frame on Saturday, including the absorption, for me to do.

Is this allowed?

I'm under the impression that my DOM is taking the p*ss... :mad
GRS
Posts: 826
Joined: 15 Jun 2015, 18:38
Gender: Female
Location: South West

Delivery Staggering & Sunday Delivery

Post by GRS »

As I understand it anyone who started in recent years has a ‘flexible’ contract which means their hours and even place of work are easier to change at short notice. Looks like your DOM has taken the easy route of just putting any new starters with these contracts onto the later shifts in a staggered start times scenario. Pity he didn’t ask for volunteers from across the office to do it - maybe on some sort of rota. If he did and no-one came forward it just shows how selfish your colleagues are in letting others get lumbered with it all the time. Suppose they need to be lying on the sofa by 1 watching re-runs of Jeremy Kyle on some obscure Sky channel.

As for Sunday working in the callers - at the mo callers is shut on a Sunday so I suppose he’s within his right to send you out on any delivery that’s left from the previous day.
blakeyboy
Posts: 104
Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 22:05
Gender: Male

Delivery Staggering & Sunday Delivery

Post by blakeyboy »

Wouldn’t of thought you would have to do the Sunday delivery or is the Sunday part of your official contract? Would of thought there would of been a van available earlier than 1.30 mind.
Jamesfr3man
Posts: 46
Joined: 10 Jun 2019, 20:04
Gender: Male

Delivery Staggering & Sunday Delivery

Post by Jamesfr3man »

blakeyboy wrote:Wouldn’t of thought you would have to do the Sunday delivery or is the Sunday part of your official contract? Would of thought there would of been a van available earlier than 1.30 mind.
I'm supposed to work in the enquiry office on Sundays but because of whats happening they have shut it, so I can't make up my days. My contract says "enquiry office work Sunday" but I'm being asked to deliver.
blakeyboy
Posts: 104
Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 22:05
Gender: Male

Delivery Staggering & Sunday Delivery

Post by blakeyboy »

Think you’ll probably have to still work on the Sunday then delivering if that’s the case unfortunately
P13
Posts: 1016
Joined: 11 Oct 2007, 14:35
Gender: Male

Delivery Staggering & Sunday Delivery

Post by P13 »

I don't think we are allowed to deliver mail on a Sunday, probably you should speak to your union rep they could make Sunday your day off
blakeyboy
Posts: 104
Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 22:05
Gender: Male

Delivery Staggering & Sunday Delivery

Post by blakeyboy »

I would suggest only working your hours though especially on the Sunday
GRS
Posts: 826
Joined: 15 Jun 2015, 18:38
Gender: Female
Location: South West

Delivery Staggering & Sunday Delivery

Post by GRS »

P13 wrote:I don't think we are allowed to deliver mail on a Sunday, probably you should speak to your union rep they could make Sunday your day off

Not sure that’s right. We’ve been out on a Sunday in the past at Christmas. Trouble is as the OP says the callers is shut so what else is there to do unless as has been said the day off is changed if possible.