ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Sunday Bank Holiday?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Jamesfr3man
Posts: 46
Joined: 10 Jun 2019, 20:04
Gender: Male

Sunday Bank Holiday?

Post by Jamesfr3man »

Hi all, just a quick question. I'm a part timer on a 25 hour contract, 5 days a week including sundays. Last week I was told to take tuesday off which I did and had good friday off and easter sunday off. My question is, am I owed a extra rest day next week? As both friday and sunday were working days acording to my contract and I only had one rest day in the week (tues)? I've spoken to my DOM and acording to him my second rest day was on sunday and easter sunday doesn't count as bank holiday so it was just a normal restday. Am I being shafted out of a rest day next week? :mad
P13
Posts: 1016
Joined: 11 Oct 2007, 14:35
Gender: Male

Sunday Bank Holiday?

Post by P13 »

Sunday was not a Bank Holiday, Monday is the Bank holiday
Janet Brum
Posts: 886
Joined: 28 Sep 2016, 19:52
Gender: Female

Sunday Bank Holiday?

Post by Janet Brum »

If you are a postie, your contract is 5 days Monday to Saturday, not Sunday.
We don`t deliver on Sunday`s, that`s your day off plus another one during the week.

We had Good Friday bank holiday and Easter Monday for wich we are paid.

Have a read here: https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/royal-m ... glance.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also you can find lots of useful information on this forum.
Jojo008
Posts: 5
Joined: 12 Nov 2019, 19:30
Gender: Male

Sunday Bank Holiday?

Post by Jojo008 »

Does the bank holiday yesterday count as a rest day as I’ve noticed I’m down on the rota to work through to Saturday even though I’m on a 5 day week contract?
Pumpernickel
Posts: 155
Joined: 09 Nov 2019, 20:55
Gender: Male

Sunday Bank Holiday?

Post by Pumpernickel »

The BH can be your rest day. In that case, if another day can't be sorted in the week to substitute (most likely): you'll either be paid the BH as extra (most likely), or be given another day holiday to book. Ask your manager which it is.
Jamesfr3man
Posts: 46
Joined: 10 Jun 2019, 20:04
Gender: Male

Sunday Bank Holiday?

Post by Jamesfr3man »

Hi all, thanks for the replies. My contract does in fact state Sundays as part of my 25 hours a week as I work in the enquiries office from 10:00 till 3:00. Its not just me, there're three other part timers with this contract and we all take turns working Sundays with two rest days in the week. With this information my question still stands. From my understanding Easter Sunday is sort of like Christmas day and thus if a rest day falls on it I might be able to claim a extra day or O/T wages. Unless I'm wrong :d'oh!
P13
Posts: 1016
Joined: 11 Oct 2007, 14:35
Gender: Male

Sunday Bank Holiday?

Post by P13 »

Christmas day is a public holiday Easter Sunday is not
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Sunday Bank Holiday?

Post by aiden01 »

Janet Brum wrote:If you are a postie, your contract is 5 days Monday to Saturday, not Sunday.
We don`t deliver on Sunday`s, that`s your day off plus another one during the week.

We had Good Friday bank holiday and Easter Monday for wich we are paid.

Have a read here: https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/royal-m ... glance.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also you can find lots of useful information on this forum.
Are mc workers not classed as posties :hmmmm.. lots of them work fri sat sun or sat sun mon in mc i work in..
Janet Brum
Posts: 886
Joined: 28 Sep 2016, 19:52
Gender: Female

Sunday Bank Holiday?

Post by Janet Brum »

If you go on delivery inside a Mc then yes, you are classed as a postie :crazy:
Steve_claret
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 324
Joined: 17 Dec 2011, 14:53
Gender: Male

Sunday Bank Holiday?

Post by Steve_claret »

Janet Brum wrote:If you go on delivery inside a Mc then yes, you are classed as a postie :crazy:
Most MC's don't have DO's in the same building nowadays. They have moved delivery staff out into separate buildings as MC's need more floor space for parcels.
Janet Brum
Posts: 886
Joined: 28 Sep 2016, 19:52
Gender: Female

Sunday Bank Holiday?

Post by Janet Brum »

Tomato, tomatoe :shock:
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Sunday Bank Holiday?

Post by Postie45 »

Jamesfr3man wrote:Hi all, thanks for the replies. My contract does in fact state Sundays as part of my 25 hours a week as I work in the enquiries office from 10:00 till 3:00. Its not just me, there're three other part timers with this contract and we all take turns working Sundays with two rest days in the week. With this information my question still stands. From my understanding Easter Sunday is sort of like Christmas day and thus if a rest day falls on it I might be able to claim a extra day or O/T wages. Unless I'm wrong :d'oh!
you are entitled to an extra rest day for the bank holiday monday. Whether you tend to work this day or not regularly matters not your typical weekly hours should be down by 1 day for that week. So anything worked above 20 hours is overtime.