ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Where my parcel?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Tinoblade
Posts: 252
Joined: 13 Jan 2018, 19:51
Gender: Male

Where my parcel?

Post by Tinoblade »

How do you guys deal with awkward customers coming out every single day chasing where their parcel is. I normally don't mind but its a stressful time and it's really peeing me off. One guy comes out every single time, one just comes out and murmurs how ridiculous it is and what a poor service we offer. Another one has now been driving round to find me and ask about it for the last 3 days.
I've had my headphone in a couple of times so ive just stuck the other one in and ignored them but I feel a right twat doing it, any advice?
Acca Dacca
Posts: 3221
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
Gender: Male

Where my parcel?

Post by Acca Dacca »

I just tell them that I take out and deliver everything that comes into my office for the doors I deliver to - if I dont have it then its not reached the office and therefore dont know anything about it until it does.
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
chickenwittle
Posts: 2095
Joined: 15 Nov 2009, 09:43
Gender: Male

Where my parcel?

Post by chickenwittle »

Give them office number and say speak to my manager .
PostmanBitesDog
Posts: 1428
Joined: 17 Feb 2019, 15:46
Gender: Male

Where my parcel?

Post by PostmanBitesDog »

Tinoblade wrote:One guy comes out every single time, one just comes out and murmurs how ridiculous it is and what a poor service we offer.
And this is what that guy thinks of essential workers such as us posties? What an ass. I bet he wouldn't say the same about other key workers like police officers, bin men, nurses, paramedics or care home staff during this crisis. :evil/mad
Deadly
Posts: 703
Joined: 12 Jul 2014, 21:38
Gender: Male

Where my parcel?

Post by Deadly »

My number one rule for this is don't get into a conversation/debate with them as you are never going to make them happy whatever you say. I just answer once and carry on walking, if they want to follow me down the road that's their choice :Very Happy
Last edited by Deadly on 09 Apr 2020, 09:31, edited 1 time in total.
meercat
Posts: 814
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 16:15
Gender: Male

Where my parcel?

Post by meercat »

Acca Dacca wrote:I just tell them that I take out and deliver everything that comes into my office for the doors I deliver to - if I dont have it then its not reached the office and therefore dont know anything about it until it does.
Sometimes I do this too and say there could be a backlog at the Mail Centre.

But to be honest the country is in lockdown, any customers complaining right now are idiots. Don't take any moaning from them about a crappy little parcel which they probably don't even need, say you haven't got it today and keep walking.
GT85
Posts: 365
Joined: 26 Nov 2013, 20:02
Gender: Male
Location: ASDO

Where my parcel?

Post by GT85 »

I get this and can understand it if it's something important like medication that they are waiting for but not for most of the unessential crap that we have to deliver. I explain that packets are at the same levels as Christmas but with about a 3rd of the staff off so there will be delays. Most people are blissfully unaware of the pressure on us at the moment and say ok thanks for being out n about. Thing is we have been told to clear all Tracked items and then as much mail and other packets as we can so I do get to play god with who gets their stuff and who doesn't. If someone comes and asks about a delayed packet and are nice about it I will try and make sure I look out for it, however the occasional aggressive nasty people may have to wait another day unfortunately.
We're all here because we're not all there
blacov
Posts: 397
Joined: 12 May 2019, 21:40
Gender: Male

Where my parcel?

Post by blacov »

I get it too. Quite often these days. Usually in the area where people of lower social class live. They get out almost in your face asking thousands of question about some crap they ordered a week ago. I always politely explain that if it reached our delivery office I would be delivered today but if its not there. There is a possibility of a backlog at the mail centre and it should be with us in the coming days. I pull out corona virus card and blame staff shortages. It works the trick ;)
Tinoblade
Posts: 252
Joined: 13 Jan 2018, 19:51
Gender: Male

Where my parcel?

Post by Tinoblade »

Cheers guys, I think its one of those situations where it brings out the best in people. But also, the absolute worst in people as well

Met one already today, he rang the company he purchased from. They haven't even dispatched it yet :thumbup
sorefeet17
Posts: 299
Joined: 11 May 2015, 17:10
Gender: Male

Where my parcel?

Post by sorefeet17 »

"Wheres my parcel? I rang the company up and they said it must be lost/delayed by RM"
The next day parcel turns up with yesterdays post date :shock: happens to me all the time! I can see why telephone scammers do so well, some people believe any old s**t that they are told on the phone.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12194
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Where my parcel?

Post by SpacePhoenix »

meercat wrote:Sometimes I do this too and say there could be a backlog at the Mail Centre.
By now there's almost certainly backlogs at every stage of the process. It's quite likely that at RDCs and MCs there will be mail left behind where there's not enough room on the lorries
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Where my parcel?

Post by Celgar »

The vast majority of people are extremely grateful that we are continuing to work and providing a semblance of normality to their lives. I wouldn't stress too much if you get the occasional person asking where their parcel is.
In our DO we had planned to clear everything on Thursday but this didn't happen as a lot more parcels arrived than expected and we only have three posties to do all the sorting & prep due to social distancing. About four yorks of parcels were left unsorted & not delivered. The situation is probably only going to get worse with RM refusing to hire more vans or replace any staff that leave.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.