ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Can I refuse to deliver to second home owners?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
kingofdonair
Posts: 7
Joined: 11 Sep 2015, 23:26
Gender: Male

Can I refuse to deliver to second home owners?

Post by kingofdonair »

I deliver to a couple of seaside villages that are starting to see second home owners turn up despite government advice. Can I refuse to deliver? They are a risk compared to the locals, I'm not to keen on touching their gates and doors etc. And I fell like they should be ostracised anyway.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16700
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Can I refuse to deliver to second home owners?

Post by clashcityrocker »

Can you refuse to deliver? No.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Can I refuse to deliver to second home owners?

Post by k979aaa »

Xenophobe or what this whole virus thing is nothing to be sneezed at but mans in humanity to mankind springs to mind!
kingofdonair
Posts: 7
Joined: 11 Sep 2015, 23:26
Gender: Male

Can I refuse to deliver to second home owners?

Post by kingofdonair »

Xenophobic? Well seeing as that's the government plan then I'll wear that hat. So if I encounter a dog loose then it's fine to endorse the Mail and inform my manager. But when someone who is potentially spreading a virus that has brought 1/2 the planet to its knees 'nah, it'll be fine'.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Can I refuse to deliver to second home owners?

Post by k979aaa »

Think of it as a bad cold but why did we let our own citizens return without quarantining them but that is why we are where we are is it not! With half the nation or more unemployed the economy under the floorboards and NO plan out of this mess. Anyone can be forgiven for being Xenophobic in these times if it helps here is a clip about racism but it could adapted for second home owners. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... ll+episode+" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; PS don't own a second home.
alito
Posts: 16
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 17:07

Can I refuse to deliver to second home owners?

Post by alito »

Think of it as a bad cold :crazy:
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Can I refuse to deliver to second home owners?

Post by k979aaa »

Well it sure ani't going to wipe out the whole population on earth winners and losers that is what war is. If you have the mind set we are going to die at some point all of us it is a case of mitigating the death's to as least as possible by the way have not made any trips out other than work related while others cycle two abreast down a public park!
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

Can I refuse to deliver to second home owners?

Post by wacko74 »

I delivered to a holiday home today, had a pkt so did the usual knock and step away, luckily I'd stepped about 4 metres back because when the woman opened the door she was instantly coughing away, she clearly had it and had deliberately travelled to her holiday home, despite the Local Authority and the local Police Force urging people to stay away from the area and actually stopping people and turning them away on the main roads into my area today.

I've seen another 2 cars parked at holiday homes today, I intend to have a look online later to see if there's anywhere I can report all of them.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Can I refuse to deliver to second home owners?

Post by Dorset Plodder »

The ammount of Second Home Owners that have chosen to "Self-Isolate" in their 2nd homes is scandalous. :mad

In my area most of them come from London, it wouldn't be so bad if they they just came down and got on with it........ But they insist on ordering loads of stuff online! :arrrghhh I'm delivering loads of parcels to cottages I've rarely ever delivered mail too. :shock: It's all important stuff though ... New Coffee Machines and loads of those little sachets that George Clooney likes to drink ... obviously a BIG First World Problem. :crazy:

A few of these cottages have cute little signs on the doors saying things like, "We don't use the front door, and are Self Isolating .... Please take any parcels around the back, down the garden, and leave them in the shed" I thought "Yeah Right" I leave them on the Doorstep, Knock and Walk Off! I'll write Parcel on Step on any mail and leave it at that. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16700
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Can I refuse to deliver to second home owners?

Post by clashcityrocker »

wacko74 wrote: the woman opened the door she was instantly coughing away, she clearly had it
So people never coughed for any other reason? And you can diagnose the illness without using any form of testing kit?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

Can I refuse to deliver to second home owners?

Post by wacko74 »

clashcityrocker wrote:
wacko74 wrote: the woman opened the door she was instantly coughing away, she clearly had it
So people never coughed for any other reason? And you can diagnose the illness without using any form of testing kit?
Given there's currently a world pandemic where the key symptom is a persistent, dry, hacking cough I'll say it's more than an evens chance that she had it given she couldn't even prevent herself from constantly coughing for the few seconds that she opened the door.

Regardless of what symptoms she was or wasn't displaying she was blatantly disregarding the requests of everyone from government, health care experts, local authorities and the police to not travel, in particular to not travel to second homes in areas where vital icu resources are already minimal at best.

You really do make yourself look a bit silly sometimes with your pointlessly contrarian responses on here.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16700
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Can I refuse to deliver to second home owners?

Post by clashcityrocker »

wacko74 wrote:
You really do make yourself look a bit silly sometimes with your pointlessly contrarian responses on here.
Yes - but better to be pointless and contrarian than pointless and judgemental.
Do let us know how you get on reporting these people I am sure it will be a riveting read.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

Can I refuse to deliver to second home owners?

Post by wacko74 »

clashcityrocker wrote:
wacko74 wrote:
You really do make yourself look a bit silly sometimes with your pointlessly contrarian responses on here.
Yes - but better to be pointless and contrarian than pointless and judgemental.
Do let us know how you get on reporting these people I am sure it will be a riveting read.

Do please expand on how I'm being ''pointless and judgemental'' when I raise an issue regarding people blatantly disregarding the requests of health experts, politicians and police to stay at home and not make unnecessary journeys, especially with regards to people travelling to holiday homes in areas where local medical facilities and ICU provisions are already at a minimal level without having to cope with the effects of a pandemic?
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16700
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Can I refuse to deliver to second home owners?

Post by clashcityrocker »

wacko74 wrote: Do please expand on how I'm being ''pointless and judgemental'' when I raise an issue regarding people blatantly disregarding the requests of health experts, politicians and police to stay at home and not make unnecessary journeys, especially with regards to people travelling to holiday homes in areas where local medical facilities and ICU provisions are already at a minimal level without having to cope with the effects of a pandemic?
What if she was one of those former NHS staff who have returned to work and she has come to help in those local medical facilities that are having to cope?
What if she needs to isolate from someone very vulnerable at her other home?
What if she has come to look after an elderly relative nearby?
Do you know anything about why she has travelled to be at this place?

And bear in mind you have gone from "she definitely has it" to there being a 50-50 chance of her having it.
People cough for many different reasons. She may be asthmatic, something may have just gone down the wrong way or maybe she just put too much pepper on her eggs Benedict.

Maybe she lives in an area with a high number of cases and (like a lot of people) is s**t scared and felt the need to get away for her own sanity.
Maybe you are right. Maybe she has ignored all warnings (like so many people) and decided to travel anyway. Maybe she is a terrible person.
But you diagnosed her and decided all that without actually knowing anything and now you are going to report her.
Perhaps the biggest casualty of all this will be our compassion, our understanding and our humanity.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
mickeymacca
Posts: 503
Joined: 21 Jun 2012, 18:03
Gender: Male

Can I refuse to deliver to second home owners?

Post by mickeymacca »

clashcityrocker wrote:
wacko74 wrote: Do please expand on how I'm being ''pointless and judgemental'' when I raise an issue regarding people blatantly disregarding the requests of health experts, politicians and police to stay at home and not make unnecessary journeys, especially with regards to people travelling to holiday homes in areas where local medical facilities and ICU provisions are already at a minimal level without having to cope with the effects of a pandemic?
What if she was one of those former NHS staff who have returned to work and she has come to help in those local medical facilities that are having to cope?
What if she needs to isolate from someone very vulnerable at her other home?
What if she has come to look after an elderly relative nearby?
Do you know anything about why she has travelled to be at this place?

And bear in mind you have gone from "she definitely has it" to there being a 50-50 chance of her having it.
People cough for many different reasons. She may be asthmatic, something may have just gone down the wrong way or maybe she just put too much pepper on her eggs Benedict.

Maybe she lives in an area with a high number of cases and (like a lot of people) is s**t scared and felt the need to get away for her own sanity.
Maybe you are right. Maybe she has ignored all warnings (like so many people) and decided to travel anyway. Maybe she is a terrible person.
But you diagnosed her and decided all that without actually knowing anything and now you are going to report her.
Perhaps the biggest casualty of all this will be our compassion, our understanding and our humanity.

Eggs Benedict?? I've not seen an egg since February......shop the b@tch
'Libraries gave us power'