ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Annual leave during Covid-19 question

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
nightcrawler
Posts: 189
Joined: 20 Sep 2018, 17:05
Gender: Male

Annual leave during Covid-19 question

Post by nightcrawler »

I’m on annual leave next week. With so many off sick in our office they are bound to ask me if I want to cancel it, which I don’t (no point in risking my health if I don’t have too). So my question is, can they MAKE me go in due to unprecedented staff shortages?
Last edited by nightcrawler on 26 Mar 2020, 21:53, edited 1 time in total.
yellowbelly
Posts: 3728
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

Annual leave question

Post by yellowbelly »

nightcrawler wrote:I’m on annual leave next week. With so many off sick in our office they are bound to ask me if I want to cancel it, which I won’t (no point in risking my health if I don’t have too). So my question is, can they MAKE me come in due to unprecedented staff shortages?
IIRC in normal circumstances they have to give you the same amount of notice as that your leave is for (so a weeks notice for a week off).

So they've missed that deadline. And the latest Coronavirus Q & A https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... 71&t=94964" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; state
An employee in my office wants to cancel their holiday and take it another time what should I do?

The expectation is that employee’s will still take the time off for their holiday. Having a rest is important for everyone especially at this time. Employee’s should only carry forward 5 days holiday at the end of the year. If due to operational reasons the local manager needs the employee to attend work then in exceptional circumstances they can agree for employee to return to work earlier and take their holiday at another time.
So that doesn't state they can force you, only if you want to cancel your holiday.
FacesOfStone
Posts: 112
Joined: 01 Jan 2018, 21:52
Gender: Male

Annual leave question

Post by FacesOfStone »

Hah, if they tried that with me I would be gone every day if anyone came within two metres of me at any point regardless of bottlenecks.
HTPostman
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1505
Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
Gender: Male

Annual leave during Covid-19 question

Post by HTPostman »

I had a manager once come to me on a Friday and say am I aware they can cancel my short 4 day break (I was taking the following Monday to Thursday off).

I told him I’m fully aware, but asked if he’s aware he must also give the same amount of notice, meaning he needed to tell me yesterday.

Just play the game.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.

526
Woody Guthrie
Posts: 5166
Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
Gender: Male

Annual leave during Covid-19 question

Post by Woody Guthrie »

Offer to do some volunteer work for the NHS.
Only dead fish follow the current
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Annual leave during Covid-19 question

Post by Seymour Buts »

I have week after next and have asked to cancel mine. Each to their own, but having a week off when you can't do anything is to me a complete waste of time.
FacesOfStone
Posts: 112
Joined: 01 Jan 2018, 21:52
Gender: Male

Annual leave during Covid-19 question

Post by FacesOfStone »

Seymour Buts wrote:I have week after next and have asked to cancel mine. Each to their own, but having a week off when you can't do anything is to me a complete waste of time.
I’d rather just have the time away from danger, given that the virus is projected to reach its UK peak in the next two to three weeks.
nightcrawler
Posts: 189
Joined: 20 Sep 2018, 17:05
Gender: Male

Annual leave during Covid-19 question

Post by nightcrawler »

Seymour Buts wrote:I have week after next and have asked to cancel mine. Each to their own, but having a week off when you can't do anything is to me a complete waste of time.
I have some painting and decorating to do, but yeah each to their own.
tractorboy2
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 545
Joined: 18 Jan 2012, 11:03
Gender: Male

Annual leave during Covid-19 question

Post by tractorboy2 »

Maybe it's a local thing , but in our MC we have been told we have to take our leave and can't cancel it.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Annual leave during Covid-19 question

Post by k979aaa »

You asked for annual leave in advance and were allocated it is not on some whim you need those dates of leave or around them. Trouble with RM is you will never get them day's back if you don't take them so politely tell them to do one!
twiddledumb
Posts: 143
Joined: 06 Dec 2013, 21:37
Gender: Male

Annual leave during Covid-19 question

Post by twiddledumb »

nightcrawler wrote:I’m on annual leave next week. With so many off sick in our office they are bound to ask me if I want to cancel it, which I don’t (no point in risking my health if I don’t have too). So my question is, can they MAKE me go in due to unprecedented staff shortages?
Just had a week off, and no one asked me to go in and if they did they would be told to NO!
nightcrawler
Posts: 189
Joined: 20 Sep 2018, 17:05
Gender: Male

Annual leave during Covid-19 question

Post by nightcrawler »

Well, I have just finished and they never even asked me if I wanted to cancel it. As far am I’m concerned I’m now off for a week :nana thanks fo all your replies :thumbup
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Annual leave during Covid-19 question

Post by rambo1 »

NO! we're posties not the police or army. Have your break and screw em if they're short staffed. We shouldn't even be still working.
FacesOfStone
Posts: 112
Joined: 01 Jan 2018, 21:52
Gender: Male

Annual leave during Covid-19 question

Post by FacesOfStone »

rambo1 wrote:NO! we're posties not the police or army. Have your break and screw em if they're short staffed. We shouldn't even be still working.
With that said, look at the wording the business secretary used regarding the relaxation of the law on carrying leave over:

“We’ve introduced measures to ensure that workers who have not taken all of their statutory annual leave due to COVID-19 will now be able to carry that entitlement over into the next two years.

“This will protect staff from losing out, while providing businesses with flexibility when they need it most.”

The second sentence after the comma speaks volumes as far as I'm concerned. Many businesses will exploit this for all it's worth and essentially force people to work without desperately needed respite.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Annual leave during Covid-19 question

Post by Dorset Plodder »

FacesOfStone wrote:
With that said, look at the wording the business secretary used regarding the relaxation of the law on carrying leave over:

“We’ve introduced measures to ensure that workers who have not taken all of their statutory annual leave due to COVID-19 will now be able to carry that entitlement over into the next two years.

“This will protect staff from losing out, while providing businesses with flexibility when they need it most.”

The second sentence after the comma speaks volumes as far as I'm concerned. Many businesses will exploit this for all it's worth and essentially force people to work without desperately needed respite.
Worse case scenario: If you are not happy with the steps taken within your DO to ensure Social Distancing, you are quite within your rights to go home and self isolate. There has been enough communications from both RM and the CWU laying out the provisions for staying at home.... and the entitlement to sick pay. Some adjustments have been made for colleagues on new contracts who would normally have to wait 12 months to qualify for Sick Pay. Just check out your DO Notice Boards for the FACTS :hmmmm

TBH having to listen to loads of moaning Posties every day is wearing everyone else down whose trying to work in the Office. It doesn't do anyone's Mental health any good. I realise everyone has a different attitude to risk, and some people are genuinely frightened of the situation. Bottom Line: If you don't feel safe ... Stay at Home. Worry about the consequences after the crisis has passed. :hmmmm

Too many people are saying they're in the High Risk Group .... Yet they're still coming in to work :shock: People are complaining that RM hasn't done enough, yet they seem incapable of observing basic Social Distancing, and insist on gathering in groups to have a chat.... or queing up to collect Specials .... that means no more whispering with your mate on his frame (it's an Old Habit but it needs to end) FFS Get the Message 2 metre spacing :arrrghhh

I don't think we need to get frightened about it. Take the "Official Advice" .... Use your Common Sense ... and Stay Safe. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)