ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Annual leave during Covid-19 question
-
nightcrawler
- Posts: 189
- Joined: 20 Sep 2018, 17:05
- Gender: Male
Annual leave during Covid-19 question
I’m on annual leave next week. With so many off sick in our office they are bound to ask me if I want to cancel it, which I don’t (no point in risking my health if I don’t have too). So my question is, can they MAKE me go in due to unprecedented staff shortages?
Last edited by nightcrawler on 26 Mar 2020, 21:53, edited 1 time in total.
-
yellowbelly
- Posts: 3728
- Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
- Gender: Male
Annual leave question
IIRC in normal circumstances they have to give you the same amount of notice as that your leave is for (so a weeks notice for a week off).nightcrawler wrote:I’m on annual leave next week. With so many off sick in our office they are bound to ask me if I want to cancel it, which I won’t (no point in risking my health if I don’t have too). So my question is, can they MAKE me come in due to unprecedented staff shortages?
So they've missed that deadline. And the latest Coronavirus Q & A https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... 71&t=94964" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; state
So that doesn't state they can force you, only if you want to cancel your holiday.An employee in my office wants to cancel their holiday and take it another time what should I do?
The expectation is that employee’s will still take the time off for their holiday. Having a rest is important for everyone especially at this time. Employee’s should only carry forward 5 days holiday at the end of the year. If due to operational reasons the local manager needs the employee to attend work then in exceptional circumstances they can agree for employee to return to work earlier and take their holiday at another time.
-
FacesOfStone
- Posts: 112
- Joined: 01 Jan 2018, 21:52
- Gender: Male
Annual leave question
Hah, if they tried that with me I would be gone every day if anyone came within two metres of me at any point regardless of bottlenecks.
-
HTPostman
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1505
- Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
- Gender: Male
Annual leave during Covid-19 question
I had a manager once come to me on a Friday and say am I aware they can cancel my short 4 day break (I was taking the following Monday to Thursday off).
I told him I’m fully aware, but asked if he’s aware he must also give the same amount of notice, meaning he needed to tell me yesterday.
Just play the game.
I told him I’m fully aware, but asked if he’s aware he must also give the same amount of notice, meaning he needed to tell me yesterday.
Just play the game.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.
526
526
-
Woody Guthrie
- Posts: 5166
- Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
- Gender: Male
Annual leave during Covid-19 question
Offer to do some volunteer work for the NHS.
Only dead fish follow the current
-
Seymour Buts
- Posts: 1148
- Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
Annual leave during Covid-19 question
I have week after next and have asked to cancel mine. Each to their own, but having a week off when you can't do anything is to me a complete waste of time.
-
FacesOfStone
- Posts: 112
- Joined: 01 Jan 2018, 21:52
- Gender: Male
Annual leave during Covid-19 question
I’d rather just have the time away from danger, given that the virus is projected to reach its UK peak in the next two to three weeks.Seymour Buts wrote:I have week after next and have asked to cancel mine. Each to their own, but having a week off when you can't do anything is to me a complete waste of time.
-
nightcrawler
- Posts: 189
- Joined: 20 Sep 2018, 17:05
- Gender: Male
Annual leave during Covid-19 question
I have some painting and decorating to do, but yeah each to their own.Seymour Buts wrote:I have week after next and have asked to cancel mine. Each to their own, but having a week off when you can't do anything is to me a complete waste of time.
-
tractorboy2
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 545
- Joined: 18 Jan 2012, 11:03
- Gender: Male
Annual leave during Covid-19 question
Maybe it's a local thing , but in our MC we have been told we have to take our leave and can't cancel it.
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
Annual leave during Covid-19 question
You asked for annual leave in advance and were allocated it is not on some whim you need those dates of leave or around them. Trouble with RM is you will never get them day's back if you don't take them so politely tell them to do one!
-
twiddledumb
- Posts: 143
- Joined: 06 Dec 2013, 21:37
- Gender: Male
Annual leave during Covid-19 question
Just had a week off, and no one asked me to go in and if they did they would be told to NO!nightcrawler wrote:I’m on annual leave next week. With so many off sick in our office they are bound to ask me if I want to cancel it, which I don’t (no point in risking my health if I don’t have too). So my question is, can they MAKE me go in due to unprecedented staff shortages?
-
nightcrawler
- Posts: 189
- Joined: 20 Sep 2018, 17:05
- Gender: Male
Annual leave during Covid-19 question
Well, I have just finished and they never even asked me if I wanted to cancel it. As far am I’m concerned I’m now off for a week
thanks fo all your replies 
-
rambo1
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
- Gender: Male
Annual leave during Covid-19 question
NO! we're posties not the police or army. Have your break and screw em if they're short staffed. We shouldn't even be still working.
-
FacesOfStone
- Posts: 112
- Joined: 01 Jan 2018, 21:52
- Gender: Male
Annual leave during Covid-19 question
With that said, look at the wording the business secretary used regarding the relaxation of the law on carrying leave over:rambo1 wrote:NO! we're posties not the police or army. Have your break and screw em if they're short staffed. We shouldn't even be still working.
“We’ve introduced measures to ensure that workers who have not taken all of their statutory annual leave due to COVID-19 will now be able to carry that entitlement over into the next two years.
“This will protect staff from losing out, while providing businesses with flexibility when they need it most.”
The second sentence after the comma speaks volumes as far as I'm concerned. Many businesses will exploit this for all it's worth and essentially force people to work without desperately needed respite.
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Annual leave during Covid-19 question
Worse case scenario: If you are not happy with the steps taken within your DO to ensure Social Distancing, you are quite within your rights to go home and self isolate. There has been enough communications from both RM and the CWU laying out the provisions for staying at home.... and the entitlement to sick pay. Some adjustments have been made for colleagues on new contracts who would normally have to wait 12 months to qualify for Sick Pay. Just check out your DO Notice Boards for the FACTSFacesOfStone wrote:
With that said, look at the wording the business secretary used regarding the relaxation of the law on carrying leave over:
“We’ve introduced measures to ensure that workers who have not taken all of their statutory annual leave due to COVID-19 will now be able to carry that entitlement over into the next two years.
“This will protect staff from losing out, while providing businesses with flexibility when they need it most.”
The second sentence after the comma speaks volumes as far as I'm concerned. Many businesses will exploit this for all it's worth and essentially force people to work without desperately needed respite.
TBH having to listen to loads of moaning Posties every day is wearing everyone else down whose trying to work in the Office. It doesn't do anyone's Mental health any good. I realise everyone has a different attitude to risk, and some people are genuinely frightened of the situation. Bottom Line: If you don't feel safe ... Stay at Home. Worry about the consequences after the crisis has passed.
Too many people are saying they're in the High Risk Group .... Yet they're still coming in to work
I don't think we need to get frightened about it. Take the "Official Advice" .... Use your Common Sense ... and Stay Safe.
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)