ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Snowed Under! Like Christmas Pressure!

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Dingo99
Posts: 122
Joined: 06 Mar 2012, 14:04
Gender: Male

Snowed Under! Like Christmas Pressure!

Post by Dingo99 »

Hi guys, I don't know about other offices, but I work in a small office in S.E Kent and for the last 2-3 weeks the parcel situation (not so much the mail) is like Christmas Pressure! Anyway, we should all be pulling together and putting in hours if we want at this difficult time to clear everything and do our job as best as we can. Anyway, the higher ups are paying overtime this week and that is it. We have had lapsing all week for 2 weeks and I have been leaving it due to not having time in my duty hours without significant overtime being booked! Tomorrow we have 2 walks uncovered, anyway, I digress. What I cannot believe is that for the first time when I go back after next week (on leave from 30th for 1 week) I am going to be forced to start cutting off and bringing mail back, because the higher ups have an overtime ban after this week, beggars belief! I don't want to cut off and have customers (yes I know, techinally the sender is the customer) moaning at me because I missed a few loops/streets on certain days but what can you do? Any other offices being told the same?; no overtime?

Regards,
Dan
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32801
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Snowed Under! Like Christmas Pressure!

Post by POSTMAN »

Apparently yes...
https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... 71&t=94776" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
5plusbonusball
Posts: 1136
Joined: 12 Jan 2012, 20:50
Gender: Male
Location: up north of watford

Snowed Under! Like Christmas Pressure!

Post by 5plusbonusball »

Hope the 739 cards have dropped off soget the counter staff on delivery
Why are lino's paid full-time ??
Dingo99
Posts: 122
Joined: 06 Mar 2012, 14:04
Gender: Male

Snowed Under! Like Christmas Pressure!

Post by Dingo99 »

POSTMAN wrote:Apparently yes...
https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... 71&t=94776" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oh sorry, should have had a look first; my bad :(
derricksmyth
Posts: 353
Joined: 13 Sep 2012, 17:58
Gender: Male

Snowed Under! Like Christmas Pressure!

Post by derricksmyth »

Dingo99 wrote:Hi guys, I don't know about other offices, but I work in a small office in S.E Kent and for the last 2-3 weeks the parcel situation (not so much the mail) is like Christmas Pressure! Anyway, we should all be pulling together and putting in hours if we want at this difficult time to clear everything and do our job as best as we can. Anyway, the higher ups are paying overtime this week and that is it. We have had lapsing all week for 2 weeks and I have been leaving it due to not having time in my duty hours without significant overtime being booked! Tomorrow we have 2 walks uncovered, anyway, I digress. What I cannot believe is that for the first time when I go back after next week (on leave from 30th for 1 week) I am going to be forced to start cutting off and bringing mail back, because the higher ups have an overtime ban after this week, beggars belief! I don't want to cut off and have customers (yes I know, techinally the sender is the customer) moaning at me because I missed a few loops/streets on certain days but what can you do? Any other offices being told the same?; no overtime?

Regards,
Dan
Dan , management have started the fire by defrauding hours booked through hours capture. For example , i booked 20 mins on a Monday 2/3/2020 , only for my DOM to claim i finished 20 mins before the end of my shift on the Friday 6/3/2020 , even though i worked to my time. I have challenged about this and it is been looked into , but i won't be extending again for no one to push Pizza leaflets through doors!!
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Snowed Under! Like Christmas Pressure!

Post by Celgar »

Some days walks are being delivered with two or three days worth of letters and flats in the frames. Parcels are being prioritized so they are being delivered daily. We had bad staff shortages due to illnesses and operation recoveries prior to the virus outbreak so staff shortages are worst I have seen in twenty years.
Anyone who offers to work their day off can do so if they want to otherwise walks will not be delivered. There is overtime for those delivering walks with more than a days worth of mail. At least one walk in our office has not had the D2D prepped so they won't be delivered this week on those walk/s and will fail. Apparently Aylesbury Vale are telling the MC to hold onto the mail and not deliver any more to their DO. In short it's getting bad out there.....
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
grchpo
Posts: 488
Joined: 16 Mar 2019, 13:59
Gender: Male

Snowed Under! Like Christmas Pressure!

Post by grchpo »

2 weeks ago got told no overtime from now. If we can't complete leave 1 row & deliver that 1st next day, anything left deliver that 1st next day & keep rotating like that so every day you have double mail in 1 row, but deliver all parcels & remember NO overtime.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12194
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Snowed Under! Like Christmas Pressure!

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Celgar wrote: Apparently Aylesbury Vale are telling the MC to hold onto the mail and not deliver any more to their DO. In short it's getting bad out there.....
That's going to be down to how much storage capacity the MC has. If they don't have the storage space then they'll have to send it to the DO anyway and if it carries on too long then they'll run out of storage space and again will have to send it to the DO
JKSmudge
Posts: 395
Joined: 26 Mar 2015, 13:39
Gender: Male

Snowed Under! Like Christmas Pressure!

Post by JKSmudge »

'2 walks uncovered' - that sounds like heaven !

Currently have about 60% attendance - We've had no OT all week, PTers are getting just the basic 30 hours, no coming in to prep, no excess, so bringing stuff back most days. It's getting ridiculous - packet bags and trays of mail piling up on frames.
nightcrawler
Posts: 189
Joined: 20 Sep 2018, 17:05
Gender: Male

Snowed Under! Like Christmas Pressure!

Post by nightcrawler »

I agree that parcels are through the roof at the moment, probably because most shops are closed. On the flip side however, is that most people are now in, so we gain time in not having to write P739 cards out. We was told at the beginning of the week that we would have “hardly any work by end of the week”! Obviously this turned out not to be true. I’ve also heard that from tomorrow (Saturday) we will be delivering 40% of the Coronavirus testing kits (Amazon delivering the other 60%). I have no idea how big these are or if they will go through letterboxes or not, but obviously it means even more packets for us. Anyway, I’m off for week from Monday for a well deserved rest!
Ren Hoëk
Posts: 737
Joined: 01 Feb 2018, 12:19
Gender: Male

Snowed Under! Like Christmas Pressure!

Post by Ren Hoëk »

SpacePhoenix wrote:
Celgar wrote: Apparently Aylesbury Vale are telling the MC to hold onto the mail and not deliver any more to their DO. In short it's getting bad out there.....
That's going to be down to how much storage capacity the MC has. If they don't have the storage space then they'll have to send it to the DO anyway and if it carries on too long then they'll run out of storage space and again will have to send it to the DO
And where do you think these small DO's are going to put it all? Magic some extra space up? If the MC's run out of space then management will have to find another facility to place it all.
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Snowed Under! Like Christmas Pressure!

Post by aiden01 »

SpacePhoenix wrote:
Celgar wrote: Apparently Aylesbury Vale are telling the MC to hold onto the mail and not deliver any more to their DO. In short it's getting bad out there.....
That's going to be down to how much storage capacity the MC has. If they don't have the storage space then they'll have to send it to the DO anyway and if it carries on too long then they'll run out of storage space and again will have to send it to the DO
Most of our 2nd class packets have been sent to glasgow last 2days from nimc.
Munchboii
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 261
Joined: 15 Oct 2019, 21:25
Gender: Male

Snowed Under! Like Christmas Pressure!

Post by Munchboii »

The inbound mail at our MC is being held for one day at my MC the staffing is so poor. Then the CSS machines run on the late shift and sequenced mail is brought down in the afternoon ready for us in the morning. :crazy:
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Snowed Under! Like Christmas Pressure!

Post by Postie45 »

RM if they had any sense would start planning for delivering half a delivery mail each day with 2 days work on it, with other half left in frame for next day,
Would save time on bundling and then reprepping cut offs every day.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12194
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Snowed Under! Like Christmas Pressure!

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Munchboii wrote:Then the CSS machines run on the late shift and sequenced mail is brought down in the afternoon ready for us in the morning. :crazy:
I wonder how long it'll be before MCs and MPUs all revert to walk sort only. It would mean less staff needed on wave 1 at least, if wave 2 were made to finish later then they could do the same on wave 2, freeing up more staff for the packets and Tracked (maybe SD lockers if some of the mech staff are also SD locker trained)