ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Full pay & SSP

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Chris19
Posts: 70
Joined: 29 May 2019, 17:54
Gender: Male

Full pay & SSP

Post by Chris19 »

If you are off sick and receive full pay do you also receive SSP, or is SSP only paid if you are off for more than 6 mths?
Route1
Posts: 369
Joined: 05 Jun 2015, 00:48
Gender: Female

Full pay & SSP

Post by Route1 »

Chris19 wrote:If you are off sick and receive full pay do you also receive SSP, or is SSP only paid if you are off for more than 6 mths?
If I could get both i'd be off sick too.

Full pay for 6 months followed by 1/2 for 6 months followed by SSP

You wont get both unless full pay or half pay is less than SSP in which case u'd get whatever the SSP amount is.
Chris19
Posts: 70
Joined: 29 May 2019, 17:54
Gender: Male

Full pay & SSP

Post by Chris19 »

Ok, a colleague who has recently been on half pay rec'd half pay (12 hrs) & SSP on top. On pay slip, hrs & SSP on separate lines.
ozzy8mybaby
Posts: 5
Joined: 22 Jun 2011, 17:58
Gender: Male

Full pay & SSP

Post by ozzy8mybaby »

SSP is paid on top of company pay, where possible. You can't receive more that your regular wages, however.

In your example, it sounds like your colleague ran through his six months full sick, returned to work for more than 56 days, then went off again. Although his entitlement to full sick has not returned, his entitlement to SSP had started again, as this is payable for every absence, for 28 weeks.

It's either a flaw or loophole in the system, depending how you look at it. If you return to work just before you go onto half pay, stay two months, then go off again, you'll get SSP on top of your half pay. If you you don't return, and stay off, or return for less than two months, you go straight onto half pay, you'll get no SSP. You can, however, claim ESA, which is around £73 compared to SSP which is 94.

The two month return to work is what allows the SSP to kick in again.
Chris19
Posts: 70
Joined: 29 May 2019, 17:54
Gender: Male

Full pay & SSP

Post by Chris19 »

Ok, thanks,good explanation
Warriorpostie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 118
Joined: 23 Jan 2018, 17:01
Gender: Male

Full pay & SSP

Post by Warriorpostie »

I have been off 6 months now on full pay & am now moving to half pay. Although I have been accidentally filling in the social security section of my fit notes as I’ve never been off this long before. I have now received a letter saying I have been receiving SSP for 28 weeks & it will now cease to be paid. The only payments I have received are my Royal Mail flat wages. Do I need to contact the social security about this or Royal Mail HR? I rang HR & the fella said you receive SSP after 4 days off being off from Royal Mail. Whatever your full wages is £94 of that is SSP. I’m confused???