ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Would this get me in trouble

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
frankieboy
Posts: 303
Joined: 12 May 2008, 18:34

Would this get me in trouble

Post by frankieboy »

I've done the same walk for over 10 years and have got to know my customers really well, especially the elderly. Today I've spoken to some elderly customers through the window (some look petrified at what's to come), asked them if they are ok and if they need anything i.e.: groceries to give me a call and slipped my mobile number through the door. If I were to get them some groceries and deliver them on my walk during duty time would this land me in hot water?
Acca Dacca
Posts: 3221
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
Gender: Male

Would this get me in trouble

Post by Acca Dacca »

Well it seems Royal Mail love the pr when it suits them

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-51959580" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wouldnt advise it personally as you are putting yourself and them at risk
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
twoloops
Posts: 2036
Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
Gender: Male
Location: Sheffield

Would this get me in trouble

Post by twoloops »

I got a pull last week by my line manager for going off route, I had nipped to Tesco for some bread before I started my round, must have been the tracker in the van or PDA that tips them off?
yellowbelly
Posts: 3728
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

Would this get me in trouble

Post by yellowbelly »

twoloops wrote:I got a pull last week by my line manager for going off route, I had nipped to Tesco for some bread before I started my round, must have been the tracker in the van or PDA that tips them off?
Yeah, the Trimble device in the wagon that bleeps at you pointlessly and the PDA can both track you.
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

Would this get me in trouble

Post by wacko74 »

twoloops wrote:I got a pull last week by my line manager for going off route, I had nipped to Tesco for some bread before I started my round, must have been the tracker in the van or PDA that tips them off?

Are there any public toilets on your round?

If not you went off route to use the toilets in Tescos.
sindba
Posts: 1456
Joined: 05 Feb 2012, 20:27
Gender: Male

Would this get me in trouble

Post by sindba »

frankieboy wrote:I've done the same walk for over 10 years and have got to know my customers really well, especially the elderly. Today I've spoken to some elderly customers through the window (some look petrified at what's to come), asked them if they are ok and if they need anything i.e.: groceries to give me a call and slipped my mobile number through the door. If I were to get them some groceries and deliver them on my walk during duty time would this land me in hot water?
In normal times, maybe.

At the moment, I very much doubt it. No manager would be psycophathic enough to give you more than a quick word in these circumstances. But I can't guarantee that!

Personally, I'm doing similar things and will damn well carry on and argue my corner. The nation's effectively at war ffs.
vinny79
Posts: 48
Joined: 21 Mar 2020, 18:55
Gender: Male

Would this get me in trouble

Post by vinny79 »

If you are buying the groceries in your own motor, then dropping them off as you deliver you post I see no issue? The time spent with them would be classed as a break.

The only way you would be sprung is if you had an accident and the screws found a load of tesco bags and apples strewn over the road.

In all seriousness ask your gaffer in private if he would have an issue you dropping off some groceries to a customer.

There are some decent ones out there
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

Would this get me in trouble

Post by number one »

People are dying and managers are pulling people for going off route ffs
picture123
Posts: 121
Joined: 22 Oct 2014, 20:42
Gender: Male

Would this get me in trouble

Post by picture123 »

I sincerely doubt it would get you in trouble, these are exceptional times
Marshamp11
Posts: 437
Joined: 06 Aug 2018, 16:38
Gender: Male

Would this get me in trouble

Post by Marshamp11 »

twoloops wrote:I got a pull last week by my line manager for going off route, I had nipped to Tesco for some bread before I started my round, must have been the tracker in the van or PDA that tips them off?
Yeah its great isn't it. Start work before shops open then by the time we finish there is F#@& all left to buy when they are open. Thats the perk of being a "Key Worker" I suppose.
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Would this get me in trouble

Post by Seymour Buts »

twoloops wrote:I got a pull last week by my line manager for going off route, I had nipped to Tesco for some bread before I started my round, must have been the tracker in the van or PDA that tips them off?
Both.