ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
To stay or go
-
Blueeyed20girl
- Posts: 9
- Joined: 24 Jul 2019, 18:38
- Gender: Female
To stay or go
Iv only been with RM for 8 months but I am seriously considering going. I was a manager in retail for 5 years previous. I always wanted to be a postie but its not what it seems. Im on a 20hr contract. I have never done this. Always double plus.. and 6 days a week. Not a sat off since i started... all the old timers telling me they wouldnt want to come into the job now. Will it get better or worse??
-
ssdd
- Posts: 2053
- Joined: 06 Sep 2018, 22:39
- Gender: Male
To stay or go
Definitely worse I'm afraid. How much will depend on the outcome of this dispute...
-
hero22
- Posts: 593
- Joined: 21 Mar 2016, 19:48
- Gender: Male
To stay or go
Blueeyed20girl wrote:Iv only been with RM for 8 months but I am seriously considering going. I was a manager in retail for 5 years previous. I always wanted to be a postie but its not what it seems. Im on a 20hr contract. I have never done this. Always double plus.. and 6 days a week. Not a sat off since i started... all the old timers telling me they wouldnt want to come into the job now. Will it get better or worse??
If its 20 hours your looking to do you can go and say to the DOM that's all you want. It can be easier said than done but your within your rights to do that. As for Saturdays it seems to be unless you have a rotating day off then there not a regular thing. As for this dispute who knows the outcome and what it will bring. I just know there are a lot worse jobs out there for a lot less money.
Good luck anyway
-
Blueeyed20girl
- Posts: 9
- Joined: 24 Jul 2019, 18:38
- Gender: Female
To stay or go
I mean I know being LR we are spares and can get thrown where ever asked. But i find it so stressfull and i cant work out why. Im knackard everyday and believe it or not iv gained weight through stressing since i started with RM. We have a new manager who is tons better than the last idiot we had but i still cant see a light at the end of the tunnel.
-
smartecosse
- Posts: 131
- Joined: 29 Jan 2019, 18:01
- Gender: Male
To stay or go
I'm confused.
Do you want to work 40hrs a week?
If not don't.
Do you want to work 40hrs a week?
If not don't.
-
yellowbelly
- Posts: 3728
- Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
- Gender: Male
To stay or go
smart ecosse - hear what you're saying but don't assume that all your colleagues have the same self confidence as yourself.smartecosse wrote:I'm confused.
Do you want to work 40hrs a week?
If not don't.
I'm not averse to declining lapsing, working to my time and giving as good as I get but the stress of having to daily argue the toss
with a manager can be horrendous, who gives you the usual BS about "mail's down, I've checked the figures and they're not excessive", but
doesn't account for all the packets you've got, who just assumes you'll do a round that has more hours than your contract
and you've never done the round before, no-one will train or advise you on it, and everyone else around is bagging up
ready to go, you don't find out what your day off the next week is until Saturday and then surprise, surprise you've
got another Tuesday off, doesn't give you WTLL and you don't get your OT as holiday pay because
RM won't pay it unless you raise a a grievance and take them to a tribunal but if you're a newbie the process looks horrendously
confrontational and complicated and that's if your rep has given out any local info about it.....
......I could go on...........but you need the job.......so don't want to
upset the apple cart and so 'put up with it' to the detriment of your mental and physical health.
General rant at RM over......
-
world class male
- Posts: 903
- Joined: 03 Jul 2013, 15:29
- Gender: Male
To stay or go
40hrs (or38) he maybe wants, but regular full timers will probably do 24hrs walking max, whereas part timers would be probably be walking 30 when they pair them up like for like, the imbalance within RM staffing is outrageoussmartecosse wrote:I'm confused.
Do you want to work 40hrs a week?
If not don't.
i've known a full timer ready for off and wait 30/45 mins for their partner
-
Blueeyed20girl
- Posts: 9
- Joined: 24 Jul 2019, 18:38
- Gender: Female
To stay or go
Exactly... If im on a van share in a town round i always get the longer routes IE not the driver, doesnt matter how quick I walk im never back to the van before them and there sat waiting so i also never get a break. I have just recently been training on a few rurals to cover etc and I like them and I can be one of the first back in the office instead of lastbon a van shared town round with my partner rolling their eyes and checking their watch. I have also covered a good few LAT duties and like now I am on them for the next 3 weeks.. yet I come in to do them and I end up having to throw out mail before hand and I have never been shown the route before etc so had to go out blind. Nearly 2 hours later actually set off on my LAT parcels. 120 mile round trip and have just parked the van up.. finish time was 7pm.
-
hero22
- Posts: 593
- Joined: 21 Mar 2016, 19:48
- Gender: Male
To stay or go
yellowbelly wrote:smart ecosse - hear what you're saying but don't assume that all your colleagues have the same self confidence as yourself.smartecosse wrote:I'm confused.
Do you want to work 40hrs a week?
If not don't.
I'm not averse to declining lapsing, working to my time and giving as good as I get but the stress of having to daily argue the toss
with a manager can be horrendous, who gives you the usual BS about "mail's down, I've checked the figures and they're not excessive", but
doesn't account for all the packets you've got, who just assumes you'll do a round that has more hours than your contract
and you've never done the round before, no-one will train or advise you on it, and everyone else around is bagging up
ready to go, you don't find out what your day off the next week is until Saturday and then surprise, surprise you've
got another Tuesday off, doesn't give you WTLL and you don't get your OT as holiday pay because
RM won't pay it unless you raise a a grievance and take them to a tribunal but if you're a newbie the process looks horrendously
confrontational and complicated and that's if your rep has given out any local info about it.....
......I could go on...........but you need the job.......so don't want to
upset the apple cart and so 'put up with it' to the detriment of your mental and physical health.
General rant at RM over......
That is spot on
-
LaggyBand
- Posts: 1065
- Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
- Gender: Male
To stay or go
The job is only good if either:
A) you’ve done a lot of years; or
B) you have very thick skin and don’t take things personally.
A) you’ve done a lot of years; or
B) you have very thick skin and don’t take things personally.
-
norris9
- Posts: 2696
- Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
- Gender: Female
To stay or go
Part time postie comes into work, working on their own today..... low and behold the frame isn't prepped, yet everyone else is bagging up.....Postie preps the post, parcels, does redirections etc.....
Postie: I cannot complete
Manager : Why, it's still early
Postie: it's 10am and most other Posties left 45 minutes ago.
Manager: Look you have gaps in your post.
Postie: They are flats, there's often gaps where there are flats, I've still got to go to the top floor. There is a shed load of mail and parcels today.
Manager: You are being confrontational.
Postie: frwfuewf!!! refujreifunre @!!!e rfvjcneriovnrv!!! sdcjc!! vjervnerv!!! sdcsclkdmv!!!!!!!!!
This Postie either takes everything out and goes over their time, or leaves a loop or 2 and comes back at the end of their shift and sees a load of other posties signed out 20 - 30 minutes before the end of their shift....
fdcvfd cfdc efcver!!!!!!!
If the manager had managed better then the Postie could go out at the same time as everyone else and complete within their time. But no, they don't manage properly and they just hope that when you come in you will go out and complete even if that means you go over your time.
Postie: I cannot complete
Manager : Why, it's still early
Postie: it's 10am and most other Posties left 45 minutes ago.
Manager: Look you have gaps in your post.
Postie: They are flats, there's often gaps where there are flats, I've still got to go to the top floor. There is a shed load of mail and parcels today.
Manager: You are being confrontational.
Postie: frwfuewf!!! refujreifunre @!!!e rfvjcneriovnrv!!! sdcjc!! vjervnerv!!! sdcsclkdmv!!!!!!!!!
This Postie either takes everything out and goes over their time, or leaves a loop or 2 and comes back at the end of their shift and sees a load of other posties signed out 20 - 30 minutes before the end of their shift....
fdcvfd cfdc efcver!!!!!!!
If the manager had managed better then the Postie could go out at the same time as everyone else and complete within their time. But no, they don't manage properly and they just hope that when you come in you will go out and complete even if that means you go over your time.
Last edited by norris9 on 12 Mar 2020, 06:46, edited 2 times in total.
-
robbertwhitton
- Posts: 1132
- Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
- Gender: Male
To stay or go
Once again mismanagement at its finest within this corrupt company,and this goes on day in and day out,cut off bring it back if they are going to be bloody minded,I take it the union rep or coach knows about it?norris9 wrote:Part time postie comes into work, working on their own today..... low and behold the frame isn't prepped, yet everyone else is bagging up.....Postie preps the post, parcels, does redirections etc.....
Postie: I cannot complete
Manager : Why, it's still early
Postie: it's 10am and most other Posties left 45 minutes ago.
Manager: Look you have gaps in your post.
Postie: They are flats, there's often gaps where there are flats, I've still got to go to the top floor. There is a shed load of mail and parcels today.
Manager: You are being confrontational.
Postie: frwfuewf!!! refujreifunre @!!!e rfvjcneriovnrv!!! sdcjc!! vjervnerv!!! sdcsclkdmv!!!!!!!!!
This Postie comes back at the end of their shift and sees a load of other posties signed out 20 - 30 minutes early.....
fdcvfd cfdc efcver!!!!!!!
If the manager had managed better then the Postie could go out at the same time as everyone else and complete. But no, they don't manage properly and they just hope that when you come in you will go out and complete even if that means you go over your time.
-
wacko74
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1572
- Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
- Gender: Male
To stay or go
The OP certainly seems to have been thrown in at the deep end... only 8 months in and you've done numerous van shares, several rurals and LAT duties!
Most of the new starters in our office get to stay on the same 1 or 2 duties for at least the first 6-12 months, it's no wonder your heads a bit frazzled.
Most of the new starters in our office get to stay on the same 1 or 2 duties for at least the first 6-12 months, it's no wonder your heads a bit frazzled.
-
blacov
- Posts: 397
- Joined: 12 May 2019, 21:40
- Gender: Male
To stay or go
I am wondering what city are you based in? In our DO its usual the same. They have a few reserves who can cover pretty much entire office. Anything from van shares, hct walks to driving duties.wacko74 wrote:The OP certainly seems to have been thrown in at the deep end... only 8 months in and you've done numerous van shares, several rurals and LAT duties!
Most of the new starters in our office get to stay on the same 1 or 2 duties for at least the first 6-12 months, it's no wonder your heads a bit frazzled.
-
davecc5
- Posts: 14
- Joined: 16 May 2019, 19:11
- Gender: Male
To stay or go
No, a rotating day off may not be the thing but why the hell do Managers at a face to face initial interview tell potential employees that 'you will get a rotational day off' !! That's crap management, are the RM that desperate to draw people in. If anybody had the money, time or inclination to take an employer to court over a situation whereby half of the staff got a rotational day off and the rest didn't I am not sure who would win. Granted, the contract doesn't state anything about a rotational day off but it doesn't state that you would get every Tuesday off either. Job is great, the politics stink.