ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Management contacting me out of work.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Mr Cabbage Face
Posts: 14
Joined: 01 Mar 2020, 13:23
Gender: Male

Management contacting me out of work.

Post by Mr Cabbage Face »

Hello everyone, hope your weekend is going well. I'm probably being silly but I was called yesterday by a manager while I'm on holiday. I missed/ignored the call as I like to try and leave work to work hours. Anyway, I had a voicemail left as the manager had not hung up and I could hear them talking for about 8 minutes. I could hear something about a customer complaint from December, I'm not aware of any complaint. Anyway I'm probably being over sensitive but it has kinda ruined my break. I prob should of answered call but like I said work for work hours. Appreciate your thoughts on this. Sorry to ramble on. MCF
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Management contacting me out of work.

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Mr Cabbage Face wrote:Hello everyone, hope your weekend is going well. I'm probably being silly but I was called yesterday by a manager while I'm on holiday. I missed/ignored the call as I like to try and leave work to work hours. Anyway, I had a voicemail left as the manager had not hung up and I could hear them talking for about 8 minutes. I could hear something about a customer complaint from December, I'm not aware of any complaint. Anyway I'm probably being over sensitive but it has kinda ruined my break. I prob should of answered call but like I said work for work hours. Appreciate your thoughts on this. Sorry to ramble on. MCF
Was the call muffled and not very clear. 8 Minutes and you saying ''could hear'' a few times - I wonder if it was a pocket dial.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Janet Brum
Posts: 886
Joined: 28 Sep 2016, 19:52
Gender: Female

Management contacting me out of work.

Post by Janet Brum »

They had no right to contact while you`re in holiday, even for a complaint about something you delivered back in December.
They have plenty of pda data to check the facts and they could have waited until you go back to work.

No one expects you to remember a delivery from 2-3 months ago ffs, plus is dodgy why the complaint is now, if that`s the reason.

Enjoy your holiday and don`t contact them, if your manager has a question, he/she can ask it when you go back to work.
HUGSTEREFC
Posts: 11
Joined: 19 Feb 2013, 11:16
Gender: Male

Management contacting me out of work.

Post by HUGSTEREFC »

Don’t mention it on your return to work and if he brings it up then involve your union rep
Mr Cabbage Face
Posts: 14
Joined: 01 Mar 2020, 13:23
Gender: Male

Management contacting me out of work.

Post by Mr Cabbage Face »

Thanks. I think I may had possibly annoyed him previously as I was phoned on delivery prior to holiday and a voicemail was left begging me to work day off as they were struggling for cover. I never replied and a quip was made about me ignoring the call when I got back, I just laughed it off. Again, I probably am being over sensitive but sometimes stuff like that won't leave your thoughts.
Mr Cabbage Face
Posts: 14
Joined: 01 Mar 2020, 13:23
Gender: Male

Management contacting me out of work.

Post by Mr Cabbage Face »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
Mr Cabbage Face wrote:Hello everyone, hope your weekend is going well. I'm probably being silly but I was called yesterday by a manager while I'm on holiday. I missed/ignored the call as I like to try and leave work to work hours. Anyway, I had a voicemail left as the manager had not hung up and I could hear them talking for about 8 minutes. I could hear something about a customer complaint from December, I'm not aware of any complaint. Anyway I'm probably being over sensitive but it has kinda ruined my break. I prob should of answered call but like I said work for work hours. Appreciate your thoughts on this. Sorry to ramble on. MCF
Was the call muffled and not very clear. 8 Minutes and you saying ''could hear'' a few times - I wonder if it was a pocket dial.
Possible but unlikely.
Tinoblade
Posts: 252
Joined: 13 Jan 2018, 19:51
Gender: Male

Management contacting me out of work.

Post by Tinoblade »

Mr Cabbage Face wrote:Thanks. I think I may had possibly annoyed him previously as I was phoned on delivery prior to holiday and a voicemail was left begging me to work day off as they were struggling for cover. I never replied and a quip was made about me ignoring the call when I got back, I just laughed it off. Again, I probably am being over sensitive but sometimes stuff like that won't leave your thoughts.
Yeah I wouldn't worry about that. I've tried to call a gaffer on a Saturday afternoon while still working. They'd gone home so didn't get an answer till Monday. Sod 'em
LouBarlow
Posts: 4709
Joined: 15 Oct 2007, 18:56

Management contacting me out of work.

Post by LouBarlow »

Block their number during annual leave.
Mr Cabbage Face
Posts: 14
Joined: 01 Mar 2020, 13:23
Gender: Male

Management contacting me out of work.

Post by Mr Cabbage Face »

LouBarlow wrote:Block their number during annual leave.
I've blocked 4 of their numbers, so far...
postslippete
Posts: 4198
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Management contacting me out of work.

Post by postslippete »

I'm exactly the same

I don't like managers ringing me up when I'm not at work because I believe that the time and place for it - is at work.

That way I can enjoy a relatively stress free life.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
ThatsNotPlumb
Posts: 165
Joined: 08 Feb 2012, 22:33
Gender: Male

Management contacting me out of work.

Post by ThatsNotPlumb »

Sounds like a pocket dial to me if no actual message for you was left just a muffled conversation between the caller & someone else.

Personally speaking, the only time I can remember being contacted on leave I just ignored the call & text message completely.
picture123
Posts: 121
Joined: 22 Oct 2014, 20:42
Gender: Male

Management contacting me out of work.

Post by picture123 »

The complaints system has the option for managers to select "employee absent" which means they can delay responding to the complaint until your return. Nobody should be contacted while on day off, sick or annual leave in relation to complaints, they can wait.
Mr Cabbage Face
Posts: 14
Joined: 01 Mar 2020, 13:23
Gender: Male

Management contacting me out of work.

Post by Mr Cabbage Face »

picture123 wrote:The complaints system has the option for managers to select "employee absent" which means they can delay responding to the complaint until your return. Nobody should be contacted while on day off, sick or annual leave in relation to complaints, they can wait.
.
Thank you, good to know.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Management contacting me out of work.

Post by Dorset Plodder »

There's No Reason a Manager should need to phone your Personal mobile phone nowadays........ Every PDA has a telephone number........ so they can call you on that. :thumbup Bit different if you're a PT Floater, or Reserve, who may have their Duties changed at short notice. But then again that's just BAD Management... there shouldn't be a need for the DOM to phone you at home and say, "Can you go to the Delivery Office in the next town today". :thumbdown

I never give the Management my Personal Number as a Point of Principle. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Mr Cabbage Face
Posts: 14
Joined: 01 Mar 2020, 13:23
Gender: Male

Management contacting me out of work.

Post by Mr Cabbage Face »

Dorset Plodder wrote:There's No Reason a Manager should need to phone your Personal mobile phone nowadays........ Every PDA has a telephone number........ so they can call you on that. :thumbup Bit different if you're a PT Floater, or Reserve, who may have their Duties changed at short notice. But then again that's just BAD Management... there shouldn't be a need for the DOM to phone you at home and say, "Can you go to the Delivery Office in the next town today". :thumbdown

I never give the Management my Personal Number as a Point of Principle. :cuppa
They often call people on their day off early morning asking if they want to come in, I always set my phone to silent.