ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

3 day cover duties set to go

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Charliecat
Posts: 92
Joined: 16 Dec 2017, 09:29
Gender: Female

3 day cover duties set to go

Post by Charliecat »

I’m gutted to say the least! After having a nice life , work balance of working 3 days a week to be told we will have to do 5 days with 1 in 6 Saturdays off is going to be a shock to my system to say the least! I really hope it doesn’t happen but it’s looking like it will. It’s a shame Royal Mail can’t accommodate those that can’t work 5 days or can’t because it’s too much walking with no recovery time. Time for some serious job hunting :sad:
bunji
Posts: 21
Joined: 25 Feb 2019, 14:44
Gender: Male

3 day cover duties set to go

Post by bunji »

aint going to happen
Charliecat
Posts: 92
Joined: 16 Dec 2017, 09:29
Gender: Female

3 day cover duties set to go

Post by Charliecat »

bunji wrote:aint going to happen
I hope you’re right!
Yamr1
Posts: 625
Joined: 04 Feb 2018, 11:26
Gender: Female

3 day cover duties set to go

Post by Yamr1 »

Royalmail the flexible employer not

Yes vote let's beat 97%
Charliecat
Posts: 92
Joined: 16 Dec 2017, 09:29
Gender: Female

3 day cover duties set to go

Post by Charliecat »

Yamr1 wrote:Royalmail the flexible employer not

Yes vote let's beat 97%
Definitely yes vote from me!
eldritch1987
Posts: 18
Joined: 14 Oct 2008, 21:25
Gender: Male

3 day cover duties set to go

Post by eldritch1987 »

More and more companies are introducing flexible working, working from home etc. Royal Mail are doing the complete opposite. Right now there are many ways people can work at Royal Mail, but it seems they want a "one size fits all" 20th century model in the future. Well done Rico.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

3 day cover duties set to go

Post by k979aaa »

Charliecat wrote:I’m gutted to say the least! After having a nice life , work balance of working 3 days a week to be told we will have to do 5 days with 1 in 6 Saturdays off is going to be a shock to my system to say the least! I really hope it doesn’t happen but it’s looking like it will. It’s a shame Royal Mail can’t accommodate those that can’t work 5 days or can’t because it’s too much walking with no recovery time. Time for some serious job hunting :sad:
Go sick get paid off even managers get it these days
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

3 day cover duties set to go

Post by wacko74 »

Are they increasing your contracted hours when going from 3 to 5 days?

If not I'm assuming they're expecting you to do lots of overtime?

If that is the case and you don't want the overtime just refuse to do it and insist on only working your current contracted hours over the course of the 5 days.
Daveg50
Posts: 40
Joined: 02 Jun 2016, 19:48
Gender: Male

3 day cover duties set to go

Post by Daveg50 »

If they want you to do 5 day cover a week then they will have to increase your hours, I am presuming you are on 23.5 hours a week covering a 1 in 4. They cant increase you hours not without your consent. Four and a half hours a day isn't much use to them, ask for a job share.
Charliecat
Posts: 92
Joined: 16 Dec 2017, 09:29
Gender: Female

3 day cover duties set to go

Post by Charliecat »

wacko74 wrote:Are they increasing your contracted hours when going from 3 to 5 days?

If not I'm assuming they're expecting you to do lots of overtime?

If that is the case and you don't want the overtime just refuse to do it and insist on only working your current contracted hours over the course of the 5 days.
No it will be a case of starting at 10am and finishing at 3pm or thereabouts. Walk prepped and so should be just a case of delivery. More outside work than inside. That's what I'm understanding it to be. Thought it would be like this in every office??
Charliecat
Posts: 92
Joined: 16 Dec 2017, 09:29
Gender: Female

3 day cover duties set to go

Post by Charliecat »

Daveg50 wrote:If they want you to do 5 day cover a week then they will have to increase your hours, I am presuming you are on 23.5 hours a week covering a 1 in 4. They cant increase you hours not without your consent. Four and a half hours a day isn't much use to them, ask for a job share.
On 25 hour contract so it will be 5 hours outdoor work a day.
leolion855
Posts: 641
Joined: 11 Jun 2018, 17:41
Gender: Male

3 day cover duties set to go

Post by leolion855 »

Charliecat wrote:
wacko74 wrote:Are they increasing your contracted hours when going from 3 to 5 days?

If not I'm assuming they're expecting you to do lots of overtime?

If that is the case and you don't want the overtime just refuse to do it and insist on only working your current contracted hours over the course of the 5 days.
No it will be a case of starting at 10am and finishing at 3pm or thereabouts. Walk prepped and so should be just a case of delivery. More outside work than inside. That's what I'm understanding it to be. Thought it would be like this in every office??
Whats your contract hours?
Charliecat
Posts: 92
Joined: 16 Dec 2017, 09:29
Gender: Female

3 day cover duties set to go

Post by Charliecat »

leolion855 wrote:
Charliecat wrote:
wacko74 wrote:Are they increasing your contracted hours when going from 3 to 5 days?

If not I'm assuming they're expecting you to do lots of overtime?

If that is the case and you don't want the overtime just refuse to do it and insist on only working your current contracted hours over the course of the 5 days.
No it will be a case of starting at 10am and finishing at 3pm or thereabouts. Walk prepped and so should be just a case of delivery. More outside work than inside. That's what I'm understanding it to be. Thought it would be like this in every office??
Whats your contract hours?
25 hours over 3 days but will be 25 hours over 5 days
LukeyBoy
Posts: 47
Joined: 16 Apr 2010, 20:12
Gender: Male

3 day cover duties set to go

Post by LukeyBoy »

I did the best 3 day cover job with Fixed Weds+Thurs off,then got moved to 5 day week.
The reality is they say your work will be ready to go but if it's anything like any other offices I've been at yours will be the last you be thrown in if there is sickness etc.
It's then the usual battle with managers where they just expect you to do more then your hours.
Charliecat
Posts: 92
Joined: 16 Dec 2017, 09:29
Gender: Female

3 day cover duties set to go

Post by Charliecat »

LukeyBoy wrote:I did the best 3 day cover job with Fixed Weds+Thurs off,then got moved to 5 day week.
The reality is they say your work will be ready to go but if it's anything like any other offices I've been at yours will be the last you be thrown in if there is sickness etc.
It's then the usual battle with managers where they just expect you to do more then your hours.
Yes it’s as I thought,.,not gonna work is it! ?
Also when they throw in your parcels they won’t be doing it how you would and that’s going to slow things down. Also if I end up being a reserve because of the , and even though I’ve been there just over 2 years I’ll be low on pecking order, I’ll be doing duties I don’t even know and I’ll be even slower ...can’t wait. Let the games commence ....plus the overtime cos I don’t know what’s what!!!

However my main concern is the fact they don’t give a sh.t about us.