ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Removed from driving.
-
p5aul789
- Posts: 59
- Joined: 18 Sep 2012, 10:03
- Gender: Male
Removed from driving.
On Monday this week I was driving a Royal Mail van. Late in the day, I was delivering the last few packets.
I pulled in too sharply to park on a residental street and clipped the rear end of a parked car causing minor damage.
The owner was sitting in the car at the time and I gave him my details.
I only just reported the incident today, ( I was off yesterday) and did'nt think it that important.
I was told i should have reported the incident immediately and the managers were not happy.
I have been taken off driving for the time being. I asked for how long and was told i will have to take another test.
Is it correct that I will have to take a test before driving again?
Seems to me to be a lot of fuss about nothing!
I pulled in too sharply to park on a residental street and clipped the rear end of a parked car causing minor damage.
The owner was sitting in the car at the time and I gave him my details.
I only just reported the incident today, ( I was off yesterday) and did'nt think it that important.
I was told i should have reported the incident immediately and the managers were not happy.
I have been taken off driving for the time being. I asked for how long and was told i will have to take another test.
Is it correct that I will have to take a test before driving again?
Seems to me to be a lot of fuss about nothing!
-
Janet Brum
- Posts: 886
- Joined: 28 Sep 2016, 19:52
- Gender: Female
Removed from driving.
Yes, that`s correct, I know it`s frustrating but you should consider yourself lucky for not getting it worse...
This is RM policy if you hit a van, no matter if you clip a car or a building,etc, you have to pass another driving test with an AA instructor.
This is RM policy if you hit a van, no matter if you clip a car or a building,etc, you have to pass another driving test with an AA instructor.
-
Acca Dacca
- Posts: 3221
- Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
- Gender: Male
Removed from driving.
Lucky you
Just become a passenger - easier life
Just become a passenger - easier life
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
-
p5aul789
- Posts: 59
- Joined: 18 Sep 2012, 10:03
- Gender: Male
Removed from driving.
Thanks for your replies.
I could understand if it was a serious incident.
But I am not at all happy with this, I think this is taking the P**s.
I could understand if it was a serious incident.
But I am not at all happy with this, I think this is taking the P**s.
-
phil1966
- Posts: 17
- Joined: 21 Mar 2011, 20:19
- Gender: Male
Removed from driving.
bad news you will need to inform your own car insurance
-
robbertwhitton
- Posts: 1132
- Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
- Gender: Male
Removed from driving.
Yes welcome to my world,a minor accident is an accident,got taken off driving and sent to two other offices to do a trolly delivery as the boss couldn’t get anyt town guys to come off there round,lucky I got an assessment done due to a cancellation,and great common sense approach from the union rep,but I do feel your pain my friend,good luck
-
Hitcher
- Posts: 1532
- Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 09:59
- Gender: Male
Removed from driving.
All depends on what duty you do. In our office if you're a packet driver you get to carry on driving!
-
Ren Hoëk
- Posts: 737
- Joined: 01 Feb 2018, 12:19
- Gender: Male
Removed from driving.
Iv had three collisions. One was 50/50 blame on a greasy single track rural road. Another was when somone decided to reverse into the side of my van. Not my fault. The third was when I misjudged the width of the road and clipped someones wing mirror, Bending it back which then needed replacing. Every time I IMMEDIATELY informed my DOM and gave him full details. What, Where, Who, How etc. Never been taken off driving and never had to do the retest.
-
Grumpyoldmailman
- Posts: 810
- Joined: 24 Nov 2019, 22:29
- Gender: Male
Removed from driving.
How did you get to the 2 other offices if you were not able to drive?robbertwhitton wrote:Yes welcome to my world,a minor accident is an accident,got taken off driving and sent to two other offices to do a trolly delivery as the boss couldn’t get anyt town guys to come off there round,lucky I got an assessment done due to a cancellation,and great common sense approach from the union rep,but I do feel your pain my friend,good luck
-
rainbowwarrior72
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 431
- Joined: 07 Nov 2009, 11:14
- Gender: Male
Removed from driving.
A lorry driver at my place hit a RM van in a yard and just put it in the log book and casually mentioned it when handing in the keys to the K&Ts man. Didn't report it to a manager and went on his rest days (4day week). He got a 1year serious warning over it. I think the taking person off driving for a period of time is part of RMs RTA procedure whilst they investigate. It might be that the Area Advanced Driver Coach (ADC) might take you out. I think RM realised that the AA is very expensive. The ADC normally does the Drivers CPC modules that every lorry driver has to do every 5years to keep driving. We do a module every year to make up the 35hrs we have to compete for us to retain our DCPC card
-
themailman
- Posts: 399
- Joined: 09 Jun 2010, 21:05
- Gender: Male
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12194
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Removed from driving.
At some point within the next 5-10 years it's probably going to end up with all DO being driversthemailman wrote:This, along with the multitude of reasons that a driver can get hauled over the coals for a simple honest mistake makes me wonder why the union hasn't pushed for a better deal for drivers.phil1966 wrote:bad news you will need to inform your own car insurance
-
robbertwhitton
- Posts: 1132
- Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
- Gender: Male
Removed from driving.
As the offices were near I took my car and claimed the mileage,or I could of been chauffeured there and back by a bored manager!Grumpyoldmailman wrote:How did you get to the 2 other offices if you were not able to drive?robbertwhitton wrote:Yes welcome to my world,a minor accident is an accident,got taken off driving and sent to two other offices to do a trolly delivery as the boss couldn’t get anyt town guys to come off there round,lucky I got an assessment done due to a cancellation,and great common sense approach from the union rep,but I do feel your pain my friend,good luck
-
joewyan
- Posts: 382
- Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
- Gender: Male
Removed from driving.
Do you have business insurance on your car? Otherwise you would have been driving without valid insurance as commuting cover is to a fixed place of work only.robbertwhitton wrote:As the offices were near I took my car and claimed the mileage,or I could of been chauffeured there and back by a bored manager!Grumpyoldmailman wrote:How did you get to the 2 other offices if you were not able to drive?robbertwhitton wrote:Yes welcome to my world,a minor accident is an accident,got taken off driving and sent to two other offices to do a trolly delivery as the boss couldn’t get anyt town guys to come off there round,lucky I got an assessment done due to a cancellation,and great common sense approach from the union rep,but I do feel your pain my friend,good luck
Yes, same happened to me with an accident, taken off driving for just under 2 weeks until retest but I had reported it straight away to management and the reporting line as per policy. Make sure you report it to your personal insurers
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
Removed from driving.
They will take you off driving but you should have a retest ie a driving instructor will go out with you and see where he can assess your driving and give instruction how to improve, This is a standard thing in RM just take your time and don't rush as your op says it was your fault.