ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Rest days changing???

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Petecartmell
Posts: 8
Joined: 26 Feb 2020, 13:08
Gender: Male

Rest days changing???

Post by Petecartmell »

Hi new to the forum. After some advice please. Been employed on permanent 24 hour contract at my office for nearly two years. Days off have always been Tuesday and Wednesday. Recently line manager has said needs of the buisness means my days will be changing every week.is this allowed??
Ali831
Posts: 268
Joined: 26 Aug 2019, 16:03
Gender: Female

Rest days changing???

Post by Ali831 »

Mine have always changed every week. They don't follow a pattern either. Two weeks ago it was a tuesday, last week Saturday & this week it's Thursday. Hard to plan anything made worse by only knowing on a Thursday or friday what day I will be off next week.
Petecartmell
Posts: 8
Joined: 26 Feb 2020, 13:08
Gender: Male

Rest days changing???

Post by Petecartmell »

I've talked to numerous colleagues on the same contract as mine and they are still set on Tuesday Wednesday off. So wondering why mine has changed. Have your days off always been different since you started??
Ali831
Posts: 268
Joined: 26 Aug 2019, 16:03
Gender: Female

Rest days changing???

Post by Ali831 »

Yes always different. They have never been set days nor a rolling day off. I am only a reserve so kind of accept it that way as I do get my fair share of Saturdays. I just wished there was more then a few days notice to what my next rest day is going to be to allow planning for appointments etc.
Petecartmell
Posts: 8
Joined: 26 Feb 2020, 13:08
Gender: Male

Rest days changing???

Post by Petecartmell »

Wouldn't have a problem myself with it but childcare is going to be the issue. I'm reserve myself so maybe it is right. Doubt I'll get any Saturdays though haha. You'd think after almost two years of the same days off they would have to stick to that
Hitcher
Posts: 1532
Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 09:59
Gender: Male

Rest days changing???

Post by Hitcher »

Petecartmell wrote:Hi new to the forum. After some advice please. Been employed on permanent 24 hour contract at my office for nearly two years. Days off have always been Tuesday and Wednesday. Recently line manager has said needs of the buisness means my days will be changing every week.is this allowed??
Did the advertised job or your contract specifically state your days off would always be Tues/Wed?
Petecartmell
Posts: 8
Joined: 26 Feb 2020, 13:08
Gender: Male

Rest days changing???

Post by Petecartmell »

Hmmm I doubt it, just 4 over 6 days I imagine it would have said. Worse thing is they've told me it's happening to everyone in the office but it obviously isn't from what I've heard from other people saying their days have remained the same. I'll bring it up with union rep and manager. Thanks for your replys
jd9442
Posts: 218
Joined: 22 Apr 2017, 20:57
Gender: Male

Rest days changing???

Post by jd9442 »

I questioned this with someone once and they said something about ‘custom and practice’ where although something isn’t in your contract if it’s become common practice for years then you have a right to it
Something like that, I can’t remember what they said
https://www.crunch.co.uk/knowledge/empl ... act-terms/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;