ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Probation Extension what's the rules?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Cloudwatcher
Posts: 46
Joined: 08 Aug 2019, 11:05
Gender: Male

Probation Extension what's the rules?

Post by Cloudwatcher »

DOM said they will extend my probation by x months because I am too slow. I thought about this and thought it harsh because I am quicker than many of my partners. I have also been put on 16 walks, more than any other current trialist (we have quite a few at our delivery office) and coped quite well. Also I am trusted to do some of the harder walks on my own whereas the other trialists always seem to be put on the easier walks with a more experienced partner. The dom themselves have said I get on well with most people, I've never had any problems and I enjoy the job.

So it seems a bit of a kick in the teeth to then have this. I was working really hard and trying my best. But I must admit after this my head has dropped a bit as it feels like they have moved the goalpost. And I feel like I now can't trust them if they have moved the goal post once how many more times will they keep me hanging on before putting me in post.....

I spoke to the union rep and they said probation can only be extended if you are on a sick stage and not for performance or any other reason.

Is this true?

It's hard to know whether to keep my head down and accept the probation extension or whether to challenge it?
Ali831
Posts: 268
Joined: 26 Aug 2019, 16:03
Gender: Female

Probation Extension what's the rules?

Post by Ali831 »

Probation being extended for what ever reason seems to be common. A few of us started on the same day with identical contracts. Our probation ends soon and it will be interesting to see if any or all of us get extended. I was told in the first few weeks I needed to speed up despite doing the walk on my own after just 3 days & very little training the others have always been on a van share. Think we have all had a complaint so only time will tell.
Cloudwatcher
Posts: 46
Joined: 08 Aug 2019, 11:05
Gender: Male

Probation Extension what's the rules?

Post by Cloudwatcher »

Ali831 wrote:Probation being extended for what ever reason seems to be common. A few of us started on the same day with identical contracts. Our probation ends soon and it will be interesting to see if any or all of us get extended. I was told in the first few weeks I needed to speed up despite doing the walk on my own after just 3 days & very little training the others have always been on a van share. Think we have all had a complaint so only time will tell.
Thanks. I was the first one of our batch of trainees, the others arrived a few weeks after me so it will be interesting to see what happens when their probation ends. Maybe extensions are common for any reason and the union person might be wrong.

Good luck and hope you get put in post.
citypostie
Posts: 895
Joined: 08 Apr 2009, 19:42
Gender: Male

Probation Extension what's the rules?

Post by citypostie »

I don't know how these probations work but can they get rid of you at the drop of a hat while you are on them? If so they will probably drag probations out as long as they can while they are trying to get there plans in because not wanting to sound harsh but it will be easier and a lot cheaper to cut jobs of people on probation if they need to reduce head count with any new strategy. Especially now they gone on record saying they will still offer the same redundancy packages. And I'm guessing getting rid of someone on probation wouldnt be classed as compulsory redundancy? Sorry to sound like a downer but I'm cynical about royal mail management at the best of times and this lot in charge now are the worst ever
Ali831
Posts: 268
Joined: 26 Aug 2019, 16:03
Gender: Female

Probation Extension what's the rules?

Post by Ali831 »

You're probably right, it would be easier to get rid of staff on probation first, last in first out and all that.
Smith1212
Posts: 161
Joined: 12 Jul 2018, 13:02
Gender: Male

Probation Extension what's the rules?

Post by Smith1212 »

Just work hard and keep positive my probation was extended but I’m now on full time 35 hour contract so it’s not always doom and gloom
Cloudwatcher
Posts: 46
Joined: 08 Aug 2019, 11:05
Gender: Male

Probation Extension what's the rules?

Post by Cloudwatcher »

Ali and Citypostie good point if needs be easier to get rid of people. Though personally if a company wants to be like that I think it better to get agency staff in who know where they stand rather than mess people about which is poor for staff morale.

Smith too true. Gotta stay positive and not let the head drop. I suppose keep on knocking on the door till they let you in.