ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Safeplace
-
somersetgt
- Posts: 2
- Joined: 29 Feb 2012, 20:34
- Gender: Male
Safeplace
Hi. I'm a newbie. Could someone explain to me please RM's delivery standards regarding parcels and packets. If someone isn't home, I've been leaving packets in a safe place such as a shed or locked meter box and leaving a card for the recipient letting them know. Today however, a manager said they'd received a denial of receipt complaint. Apparently a packet I left in a shed has gone missing. Can only certain packets be left with a neighbour or in a safeplace? Any advice would be appreciated as I'm now unsure what what to do with a parcel if the recipient isn't home.
-
smartecosse
- Posts: 131
- Joined: 29 Jan 2019, 18:01
- Gender: Male
Safeplace
Really? So even if safe place is an available option on the PDA unless it's printed on the packet we are not to leave it in a safe place?greengiant wrote:Technically you can only leave an item in a safe place if it states so on the item, e.g. "Safeplace Shed". Even then it is at your discretion, especially if the location isnt secure.
I do that as often as I can as have a gazillion packets a day on my duty. I'd no idea it was only if it was printed on the packet.
-
ted_e_bear
- Posts: 4110
- Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 19:37
- Gender: Male
Safeplace
Yes afraid so, it's only ok until someone claims it's gone missing then unfortunately you're in the sh1t.smartecosse wrote:Really? So even if safe place is an available option on the PDA unless it's printed on the packet we are not to leave it in a safe place?greengiant wrote:Technically you can only leave an item in a safe place if it states so on the item, e.g. "Safeplace Shed". Even then it is at your discretion, especially if the location isnt secure.
I do that as often as I can as have a gazillion packets a day on my duty. I'd no idea it was only if it was printed on the packet.
-
max49
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 122
- Joined: 31 Dec 2010, 20:58
- Gender: Female
Safeplace
This is a very grey area, in our callers' office there are cards the customer can complete identifying a safe place for their packets. Then we have a team brief saying we can only use the safe place option for tracked packets which have that option printed on it - so what do you do? There are some "customers" who will try and pull a fast one saying the packet has "disappeared " from the safe place. One of our posties found the packaging of one of these "stolen" packets in the customer's in the recycle bin.
-
scoobydo79
- Posts: 2057
- Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
- Gender: Male
Safeplace
Ding ,Ding ,Ding!!!twoloops wrote:There’s only one safe place back in the office, 739 everything & you will keep your job.
We have a winner. Only the other day My partner got F over by the old “leave in porch” “I haven’t had it “ ruse.
We should have a Data base of customer claims.!!!
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16701
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Safeplace
Except Delivery to Neighbour is the agreed procedure so refusing to D2N could leave you open to a conduct charge.twoloops wrote:There’s only one safe place back in the office, 739 everything & you will keep your job.
Refusing to do the job properly might not keep you your job.
If the safeplace is stated on the packet you leave it in the safeplace and take a picture on the PDA.
If you don't believe the safeplace stated is safe then you choose that option on the PDA.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
somersetgt
- Posts: 2
- Joined: 29 Feb 2012, 20:34
- Gender: Male
Safeplace
Thankyou everyone. I think the issue is I've been leaving all packets (except those requiring a signature) in a safe place if no one is home. In future, unless it specifically says safeplace and I'm happy that place is safe, I'll either try a neighbour instead or take it back to the DO. I think what upsets me the most is the fact that I know I left the packet. Lesson learnt - there are dishonest people out there!!
-
twoloops
- Posts: 2036
- Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sheffield
Safeplace
If it's available for me to open & close, it's available for anyone to open & take. That's how you keep your job somersetgtclashcityrocker wrote:twoloops wrote: If you don't believe the safeplace stated is safe then you choose that option on the PDA.
-
scoobydo79
- Posts: 2057
- Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
- Gender: Male
Safeplace
Yep.Especially when there is a note on the door telling all and sundry where the safe place is loltwoloops wrote:If it's available for me to open & close, it's available for anyone to open & take. That's how you keep your job somersetgtclashcityrocker wrote:twoloops wrote: If you don't believe the safeplace stated is safe then you choose that option on the PDA.
-
Seymour Buts
- Posts: 1148
- Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
Safeplace
Officially only tracked can be left in a safe place, and it has to have a label as example: 'Safe place: shed'. It must be covered and out of sight. Take a picture and you're okay. If the location isn't secure (not covered and out of sight) you can't leave it. As a reserve I'd avoid door stepping unless it has such a label, once you have a duty you're more familiar and know who you can do it for. Keep your nose clean till then.
-
redneck
- Posts: 788
- Joined: 04 Jan 2010, 20:28
- Gender: Male
Safeplace
Do the job properly, don't leave stuff stashed anywhere on the property unless it is a named 'Safeplace' on the 'Tracked' item. You can deliver to neighbours as well for all but Special Delivery items. However, the leaving of all nature of parcels, all over the round, is endemic even though it is against the rules in Royal Mail, and if they don't like you, management will try and give you the sack for something they unofficially approve of. DOM's and linos don't like you going to neighbours because it takes longer and you claim, even though it is a routine approved of by the company as a whole.