ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
New pda habit
-
leolion855
- Posts: 641
- Joined: 11 Jun 2018, 17:41
- Gender: Male
New pda habit
Would it be a good idea to start a grab and log on to a pda as soon as we enter the office,even if we're just throwing walks in?
Would it show the bosses how long we are really working and not just to focus on finishing times?
Would it show the bosses how long we are really working and not just to focus on finishing times?
-
hans solo
- Posts: 3289
- Joined: 06 Feb 2011, 18:08
- Gender: Male
New pda habit
that might come with an id card 
-
wacko74
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1572
- Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
- Gender: Male
New pda habit
Our DOM is pretty decent and doesn't usually waste our time regurgitating all the latest bullshit and propaganda being disseminated from higher up, but this week even he mentioned swiping in and out being introduced, so I'd say it is pretty likely to come in.
-
scoobydo79
- Posts: 2057
- Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
- Gender: Male
New pda habit
It won’t show anything of any importance.Just that Your in the building.Whats the point?
-
leolion855
- Posts: 641
- Joined: 11 Jun 2018, 17:41
- Gender: Male
New pda habit
that your 'working all hours your paid for' as the company as requested.scoobydo79 wrote:It won’t show anything of any importance.Just that Your in the building.Whats the point?
-
Trail
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 162
- Joined: 01 Dec 2016, 19:54
- Gender: Male
New pda habit
I don't work for RM anymore as it's a tinpot organisation run by a load of w*****s. I still enjoy reading Blue Shirts as post folk were some of the nicest people I ever met.
I couldn't understand why in the 18 months at RM I wasn't given...
a) an automated/computerised sign-in card like 90% of the rest of the UK workforce. I appreciate it wasn't policy at RM; you sign your name like children in Reception classes across Primary schools everywhere.
b) a RM ID card.
c) the opportunity to go through my RM driving test.
I was also astonished at the polar opposites the workforce and the management were (also how pig useless the CWU Yes Men were).
If RM loses every big contract to the likes of Amazon or DPD or whoever I won't be in the slightest surprised.
I couldn't understand why in the 18 months at RM I wasn't given...
a) an automated/computerised sign-in card like 90% of the rest of the UK workforce. I appreciate it wasn't policy at RM; you sign your name like children in Reception classes across Primary schools everywhere.
b) a RM ID card.
c) the opportunity to go through my RM driving test.
I was also astonished at the polar opposites the workforce and the management were (also how pig useless the CWU Yes Men were).
If RM loses every big contract to the likes of Amazon or DPD or whoever I won't be in the slightest surprised.
-
themailman
- Posts: 399
- Joined: 09 Jun 2010, 21:05
- Gender: Male
New pda habit
Unless you are coming in late how will it be any different to now?leolion855 wrote:that your 'working all hours your paid for' as the company as requested.scoobydo79 wrote:It won’t show anything of any importance.Just that Your in the building.Whats the point?
-
Zicomurphy
- Posts: 579
- Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 06:40
- Gender: Male
New pda habit
In our office PDAs are kept in the RLE and handed out the same time as you collect your specials so this really would not be practical.
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
New pda habit
RM are apparently still talking about timing every activity we do including going to the toilet. The trouble is the previous AHDC trial failed because the technology wasn't up to much and they couldn't separate all the various activities. I get the feeling it's going to come down to them only being concerned when we go home and how much work is actually being done will be ignored.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12194
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
New pda habit
It's probably going to be something on the lines of:Celgar wrote:RM are apparently still talking about timing every activity we do including going to the toilet. The trouble is the previous AHDC trial failed because the technology wasn't up to much and they couldn't separate all the various activities. I get the feeling it's going to come down to them only being concerned when we go home and how much work is actually being done will be ignored.
Probably at every pedestrian entrance to an office. Don't know how they'll handle larger doors to collection bays/docks where in theory they need to be able to fit a standard sized pallet through
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
New pda habit
I believe on the original AHDC trial the cards were read automatically as you passed by sensors. This then caused faults where sensors were closer to each other in smaller sites and the readings got mixed up. In short it failed in terms of the technology plus the union had their reasons to be against new clocking in systems and still do now.
I don't think they will deploy fingerprint sensors which were shown in one of the RMTV films and I doubt underground station style barriers would be feasible either for numerous reasons. I think they might just do automated sensors on all entrances & exits to buildings and not bother with other sensors on frames, toilets, etc. Then they would have accurate times for how long you have worked and maybe just pay for those hours.
I don't think they will deploy fingerprint sensors which were shown in one of the RMTV films and I doubt underground station style barriers would be feasible either for numerous reasons. I think they might just do automated sensors on all entrances & exits to buildings and not bother with other sensors on frames, toilets, etc. Then they would have accurate times for how long you have worked and maybe just pay for those hours.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
Woody Guthrie
- Posts: 5166
- Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
- Gender: Male
New pda habit
You can't have an automated system that reads something in your pocket because if it fails to register your presence you won't know until either it comes to the attention of a manager or you're pulled in some way. You could have members docked pay or conducted because of an IT failure. More importantly from the business point of view it would give us an easy out.
It has to be a physical swipe so that you know immediately if it's been successful. Then obviously the responsibility for reporting a failure becomes yours.
It has to be a physical swipe so that you know immediately if it's been successful. Then obviously the responsibility for reporting a failure becomes yours.
Only dead fish follow the current
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12194
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
New pda habit
Don't know about other types of site but in MCs is quite common for people to have their breaks in their cars or if it's a lunch break maybe at a local cafe so it's got to take that into account
-
DGH
- Posts: 710
- Joined: 13 Dec 2014, 18:04
- Gender: Male
- Location: Neither here nor there
New pda habit
Leaving the workplace (be it the shop floor, in your office or the building) to take your break should be expected (I know, this is RM, but still . . .). However your hours recorded shouldn't contain more than your allocated break's worth of minutes away from your work station.
Recording a break whilst on delivery is a bit different. But a PDA function to record a break taken on delivery could cater for that (If RM are smart enough to think of that, which is of course somewhat moot . . .)
All that said, you'd expect a sensible system to disregard a few minutes either way (if someone needs to go to the toilet at 7.30, that shouldn't be counted as part of their break). However if someone is nipping out for a fag every hour for five minutes, that's different.
Recording a break whilst on delivery is a bit different. But a PDA function to record a break taken on delivery could cater for that (If RM are smart enough to think of that, which is of course somewhat moot . . .)
All that said, you'd expect a sensible system to disregard a few minutes either way (if someone needs to go to the toilet at 7.30, that shouldn't be counted as part of their break). However if someone is nipping out for a fag every hour for five minutes, that's different.
-
DICKIEG
- Posts: 158
- Joined: 27 Jun 2011, 19:07
- Gender: Male
New pda habit
Why would people want their breaks in the van, I may be wrong but I thought a break was supposed to be taken away from your work station. While having your break in the van what do you do if a customer comes with their card asking for a packet?. I know at our DO some of the runners and early finishers say they have their break in the van, but I've worked with a few of them and they don't