ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Difference between floater and reserve?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
smartecosse
Posts: 131
Joined: 29 Jan 2019, 18:01
Gender: Male

Difference between floater and reserve?

Post by smartecosse »

What's the difference between these two roles?

As it was explained to me it seemed like they were the same role but with two different names?

Thanks
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Difference between floater and reserve?

Post by Celgar »

I think floater covers days off and reserve covers AL so stays on walks for a week or more at a time.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
leolion855
Posts: 641
Joined: 11 Jun 2018, 17:41
Gender: Male

Difference between floater and reserve?

Post by leolion855 »

reserve is holiday cover can be ft or pt
floater covers rest days and becomes 'spare' lent out to other offices if not required
Newbie001
Posts: 474
Joined: 30 May 2014, 17:29
Gender: Male

Difference between floater and reserve?

Post by Newbie001 »

Floater has a signed for duty. Rest day cover for 5 different walks but still a duty nonetheless.They should also have rotating day off.
Reserve covers AL and sickness with duty set day off.
But Dom and LM usually see them as exact same. And both never get long weekends and usually a Tues off, also duty usually depends on whim of who is working their day off.
Sound familiar.
yellowbelly
Posts: 3728
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

Difference between floater and reserve?

Post by yellowbelly »

Newbie001 wrote:...........
Reserve covers AL and sickness with duty set day off..
In your dreams......
Newbie001
Posts: 474
Joined: 30 May 2014, 17:29
Gender: Male

Difference between floater and reserve?

Post by Newbie001 »

yellowbelly wrote:
Newbie001 wrote:...........
Reserve covers AL and sickness with duty set day off..
In your dreams......
I know, but that's how it's supposed to work...so I'm told lol
sindba
Posts: 1456
Joined: 05 Feb 2012, 20:27
Gender: Male

Difference between floater and reserve?

Post by sindba »

Float duties are signed-for structured duties, like any other. They cover the set days off for 3 or 4 other duty holders.

You will have set start and finish times and set days off indefinitely, until you sign for another duty, so you always know your shift times far in advance.

You will also *usually* know which duty you are on, but as always can get moved.

Reserves cover ad hoc absence like sickness. They can be asked to cover any shift, so often don't know what days or times they are working week to week and sometimes day to day.
richietns
Posts: 1101
Joined: 17 Oct 2011, 18:09
Gender: Male

Difference between floater and reserve?

Post by richietns »

smartecosse wrote:What's the difference between these two roles?

As it was explained to me it seemed like they were the same role but with two different names?

Thanks
Ime actually a float yes you cover rest days I cover four and they can't move you,The only way they can is "operational needs"but they can do that to anyone.I got the union involved once and they left me alone but they can move you if you know a certain duty.BUT ido have an old contract,new contracts ?
Kesknight
Posts: 98
Joined: 11 Aug 2016, 22:00
Gender: Male

Difference between floater and reserve?

Post by Kesknight »

I'm a floater covering days off, i've been a Postman for 33 years. I get moved round all the time, it doesn't bother me one bit, it's just another days work. I get a rotating day off with one long weekend in five, same as everyone else.
postslippete
Posts: 4198
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Difference between floater and reserve?

Post by postslippete »

When I was Leave Reserve I never knew what duty I was on from one week to the next. Some weeks I would be all over the place.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
smartecosse
Posts: 131
Joined: 29 Jan 2019, 18:01
Gender: Male

Difference between floater and reserve?

Post by smartecosse »

Thanks for all the replies.