ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
This job is killing me
-
norris9
- Posts: 2696
- Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
- Gender: Female
This job is killing me
I have posted about the physicality of the job before and how I've been struggling....
Now it's worse than ever, I am still aching on a daily basis, but on top of this I crash between 6.30pm and 7.30pm. I am dead, gone, I pass out, mind and body switched off by this time. I go to bed and fall asleep in an instant.
Is this normal?
Are you Posties shutting down this early due to exhaustion?
Is there anyone out there that regularly goes to bed after 10pm and doesn't feel severely exhausted and drained?
I don't know what to do anymore. I want to stay in the job, but I can't if this is how I am going to feel on a daily basis.
Now it's worse than ever, I am still aching on a daily basis, but on top of this I crash between 6.30pm and 7.30pm. I am dead, gone, I pass out, mind and body switched off by this time. I go to bed and fall asleep in an instant.
Is this normal?
Are you Posties shutting down this early due to exhaustion?
Is there anyone out there that regularly goes to bed after 10pm and doesn't feel severely exhausted and drained?
I don't know what to do anymore. I want to stay in the job, but I can't if this is how I am going to feel on a daily basis.
-
roadrunner bill
- Posts: 472
- Joined: 18 Oct 2018, 09:03
- Gender: Male
This job is killing me
Royal mail has become a torture house... and is only going to get worse... they dont give a sh it about its workforce.. they only care about money.. and themselves.....
There putting people in hospital... but they dont give a damn.... its become a hell hole...
The world has gone mad......
There putting people in hospital... but they dont give a damn.... its become a hell hole...
The world has gone mad......
Last edited by roadrunner bill on 28 Jan 2020, 18:13, edited 1 time in total.
-
wacko74
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1572
- Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
- Gender: Male
This job is killing me
Not ashamed to admit I do virtually no activity at all outside of work other than the essentials i.e dog walking, and even then it's now a chore and the bare minimum I can get away with rather than the long pleasurable walks that I used to enjoy.
I've become almost obsessive now about trying to allow my leg joints and muscles to rest and recover, which to anyone not in my shoes would just think I'm being lazy, inactive and sedentary.
Even when I don't feel tired I don't want to risk doing anything as I know the extra activity will catch up with me and I'll need to use painkillers to get through the next working day.
And all at the grand old age of 45!
I've become almost obsessive now about trying to allow my leg joints and muscles to rest and recover, which to anyone not in my shoes would just think I'm being lazy, inactive and sedentary.
Even when I don't feel tired I don't want to risk doing anything as I know the extra activity will catch up with me and I'll need to use painkillers to get through the next working day.
And all at the grand old age of 45!
-
1617mel
- Posts: 172
- Joined: 11 Oct 2017, 15:13
- Gender: Male
This job is killing me
are you off an age like myself over 60, this job is now defo. for younger fit people, the changes will make it worse for older delivery postpersons,im of the feeling that if they introduce which im not sure if it will definitely happen the clock-in clock-out scenario, then the new systems they are going to introduce will not be feasible because the overtime payable will go through the roof and scupper any savings they think will happen im hoping a print out weekly of the clock-in ,clock-out times will be given to us then let there be no mistake you will be by undisaprovable evidence entitled to the overtime paymentsfrom our company royal mail. it will be then up to management to lighten our daily load to reduce the amount of ot that will come about with these absurd changes. and yes I am so tired every day like yourself .good luck
-
Phantom
- Posts: 1234
- Joined: 27 Dec 2007, 18:17
- Gender: Female
- Location: New York
This job is killing me
Do you do the same while on annual leave? if so then go and see a GPnorris9 wrote:I have posted about the physicality of the job before and how I've been struggling....
Now it's worse than ever, I am still aching on a daily basis, but on top of this I crash between 6.30pm and 7.30pm. I am dead, gone, I pass out, mind and body switched off by this time. I go to bed and fall asleep in an instant.
Is this normal?
Are you Posties shutting down this early due to exhaustion?
Is there anyone out there that regularly goes to bed after 10pm and doesn't feel severely exhausted and drained?
I don't know what to do anymore. I want to stay in the job, but I can't if this is how I am going to feel on a daily basis.
CUT OFF!!!
-
norris9
- Posts: 2696
- Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
- Gender: Female
This job is killing me
I'm not even an older Postman. I am in my 30's.
Out on the round I generally don't feel that bad. I feel the odd twinge of pain and walking up stairs is exhausting, but I don't feel that I can't finish a round - I can easily finish the round....
It's more when I am at rest that I notice the exhaustion. My legs burn and seem to always be in a state of recovery, but I guess they never recover and therefore need longer to recover, (maybe several weeks!)..........And then I crash by 7.30pm, falling asleep....
I suppose the normal working day for the typical British employee is a 5.30pm finish, therefore they will have 5 hours left of the day before it gets to 10.30pm when they might think of going to bed. Us Posties are finished at around 2pm and therefore 5 hours after work is 7.30pm. Therefore, in that sense, feeling tired at 7.30pm, especially in a physical job like this, I would assume is quite typical?
I just hate going to bed that early. I think some Posties go home and have a nap for a couple of hours and then stay up later. I might try the same thing. How many of you guys/girls take a nap shortly after you get home from work?
Out on the round I generally don't feel that bad. I feel the odd twinge of pain and walking up stairs is exhausting, but I don't feel that I can't finish a round - I can easily finish the round....
It's more when I am at rest that I notice the exhaustion. My legs burn and seem to always be in a state of recovery, but I guess they never recover and therefore need longer to recover, (maybe several weeks!)..........And then I crash by 7.30pm, falling asleep....
I suppose the normal working day for the typical British employee is a 5.30pm finish, therefore they will have 5 hours left of the day before it gets to 10.30pm when they might think of going to bed. Us Posties are finished at around 2pm and therefore 5 hours after work is 7.30pm. Therefore, in that sense, feeling tired at 7.30pm, especially in a physical job like this, I would assume is quite typical?
I just hate going to bed that early. I think some Posties go home and have a nap for a couple of hours and then stay up later. I might try the same thing. How many of you guys/girls take a nap shortly after you get home from work?
-
Coinbags
- Posts: 34
- Joined: 26 Jan 2018, 22:42
- Gender: Male
This job is killing me
Could be dehydration.
I used to get a really aching back - started drinking 5 pints of water a day and backache gone.
stopped for a while - bad back again.
Returned to the 5 pints of water and back ache gone - reckon the discs needed the water.Have you looked at diet - not enough iron ?
If you are getting enough iron - are you getting enough vitamin C - Iron needs vitamin C.
A fella in his 30's shouldn't find it that tough.
All the Best
I used to get a really aching back - started drinking 5 pints of water a day and backache gone.
stopped for a while - bad back again.
Returned to the 5 pints of water and back ache gone - reckon the discs needed the water.Have you looked at diet - not enough iron ?
If you are getting enough iron - are you getting enough vitamin C - Iron needs vitamin C.
A fella in his 30's shouldn't find it that tough.
All the Best
-
POSTMAN
- SITE ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 32801
- Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
- Gender: Male
This job is killing me
Norris, think you need to see a doctor mate, it doesn't sound normal.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
-
yubin282
- Posts: 993
- Joined: 25 Jul 2014, 19:18
- Gender: Male
This job is killing me
Do you take your break? I take 20 mins before i leave the office and another 20 mins before i start my last loop. When you start to do it everyday maybe you will notice a difference, i know i do.norris9 wrote:I'm not even an older Postman. I am in my 30's.![]()
Out on the round I generally don't feel that bad. I feel the odd twinge of pain and walking up stairs is exhausting, but I don't feel that I can't finish a round - I can easily finish the round....
It's more when I am at rest that I notice the exhaustion. My legs burn and seem to always be in a state of recovery, but I guess they never recover and therefore need longer to recover, (maybe several weeks!)..........And then I crash by 7.30pm, falling asleep....
I suppose the normal working day for the typical British employee is a 5.30pm finish, therefore they will have 5 hours left of the day before it gets to 10.30pm when they might think of going to bed. Us Posties are finished at around 2pm and therefore 5 hours after work is 7.30pm. Therefore, in that sense, feeling tired at 7.30pm, especially in a physical job like this, I would assume is quite typical?
I just hate going to bed that early. I think some Posties go home and have a nap for a couple of hours and then stay up later. I might try the same thing. How many of you guys/girls take a nap shortly after you get home from work?
-
Grumpyoldmailman
- Posts: 810
- Joined: 24 Nov 2019, 22:29
- Gender: Male
This job is killing me
Have u had much leave Norris, say a week or so away, are you working your days off as well and doing OT after your duty? .It sounds like you need a week or 2 off then see how you feel after.
The job is defiantly more tiring than it was years ago, it can also be mentally tiring constantly being told how to do the job and having battles daily with management, got to keep on smiling though.
The job is defiantly more tiring than it was years ago, it can also be mentally tiring constantly being told how to do the job and having battles daily with management, got to keep on smiling though.
-
twoloops
- Posts: 2036
- Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sheffield
This job is killing me
Pity you do not see this type of letter in the Courier?norris9 wrote: I am still aching on a daily basis
Can I ask Norris are you wearing the RM footwear?
-
yellowbelly
- Posts: 3728
- Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
- Gender: Male
This job is killing me
Doesn't sound normal norris - what is your average day - working hours, HCT or LWT, van or van share, how many hours
out on delivery, does your delivery involve flats or steep hills, do you take breaks and keep hydrated (even in the cold)?
out on delivery, does your delivery involve flats or steep hills, do you take breaks and keep hydrated (even in the cold)?
-
norris9
- Posts: 2696
- Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
- Gender: Female
This job is killing me
To answer the above questions.....
-Break is taken at the end of the round....so I go home 'early'.
-I get moved around. Never use a HCT. Getting moved around is mentally exhausting. Not sure if doing different rounds all the time has a bigger impact on the body/muscles used.
-Haven't had any annual leave for 3 months.
-I don't do overtime, or come in early, or walk dogs after work, or walk or cycle to work. I just do my part time 30 hours.
-I drink water when out on the round, but probably could drink more.
-Iron....I only regularly eat one food type with Iron in it and I eat it daily before work.
I feel that maybe I need a 2 week or more break for my muscles to recover and heal.
Does anyone get massages regularly or once in a while to help with achy/fatigued muscles? ........I feel like maybe I should go for a leg massage.
-Break is taken at the end of the round....so I go home 'early'.
-I get moved around. Never use a HCT. Getting moved around is mentally exhausting. Not sure if doing different rounds all the time has a bigger impact on the body/muscles used.
-Haven't had any annual leave for 3 months.
-I don't do overtime, or come in early, or walk dogs after work, or walk or cycle to work. I just do my part time 30 hours.
-I drink water when out on the round, but probably could drink more.
-Iron....I only regularly eat one food type with Iron in it and I eat it daily before work.
I feel that maybe I need a 2 week or more break for my muscles to recover and heal.
Does anyone get massages regularly or once in a while to help with achy/fatigued muscles? ........I feel like maybe I should go for a leg massage.
-
leolion855
- Posts: 641
- Joined: 11 Jun 2018, 17:41
- Gender: Male
This job is killing me
I think the parcel separation thing could be good for guys like you IF you can work later. Driving a van will be much easier on the body.
-
Grumpyoldmailman
- Posts: 810
- Joined: 24 Nov 2019, 22:29
- Gender: Male
This job is killing me
Yes maybe once a month or so, find a good one who does deep tissue massage. It’s not for the faint hearted though, I would suggest it only when you have a rest day the next day.norris9 wrote:Does anyone get massages regularly or once in a while to help with achy/fatigued muscles? ........I feel like maybe I should go for a leg massage.