ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

RUNNING POSTMEN

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Mightyaj
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 63
Joined: 09 Dec 2009, 21:25
Gender: Male

RUNNING POSTMEN

Post by Mightyaj »

Okay, I haven't been a postman for nearly 5 years now and honestly we did have the posties who liked to go quick back in my day but now it seems like I see the runners everywhere?

The postman round where I live is literally sprinting around and the ones I spot out and about seem to be jogging too! Seriously what is wrong with these people?

Has the job put so much pressure on you that its come to this? I appreciate that some of you reading this are not doing that but for the ones who do then please tell me why?

Even as a ex postie this still infuriates me. You people coming in early and runners always spoiled it when I was working but it seems like a whole different league now where its got even worse!
Yamr1
Posts: 625
Joined: 04 Feb 2018, 11:26
Gender: Female

RUNNING POSTMEN

Post by Yamr1 »

Running themselves out of a job

Sad but true did you see any with lwt

The mind boggles
sledge4882
Posts: 24
Joined: 03 Feb 2011, 16:16
Gender: Male

RUNNING POSTMEN

Post by sledge4882 »

It's a disgrace that managers force you to lapse on heavy days when the staff don't have a leg to stand on with no choice but the take the extra work, that makes them feel pressured to get done. If they don't complete managers moan. Some are so unapproachable or not interested
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

RUNNING POSTMEN

Post by Jpro747 »

Because they’re too scared to tell the manager they’re cutting off.
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

RUNNING POSTMEN

Post by norris9 »

I don't know why people want to finish as quickly as possible, meaning taking every shortcut and walking at pace for the whole round. And I don't know why people start excessively early.

No one has ever explained to me the logic to either of these ways of working.

You finish early - your reward is sitting in the van or going back to the depot and having at least a 50:50 chance of being sent out again. Therefore there is no reason to cut corners risking your job and stressing about going fast.

You start an 20+ minutes early - literally there is no point. What is the point - please someone tell me......do these people that do this daily simply like working?
MarkItZ3r0
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 12
Joined: 14 Nov 2019, 12:38
Gender: Male

RUNNING POSTMEN

Post by MarkItZ3r0 »

Anybody else ever tried explaining any of this to the runners?
I usually get the van appearing next to me at about 1320, driver looking incredulous that I haven't finished yet. Whenever I do explain that I'll be finished on time all I get are excuses about how they were 20mins over at some point the previous week so are owed time.
Yet every single time we do get back early they bound up to the manager as if they're making the deal of their lives, with this golden ticket of 20mins from last week. Only to be slapped back down and told to prep d2d or go back out with stuff. :left:

We've had countless gate meetings and union memos warning us about this stuff, yet they think the magic of their "friendship" with the Lino will protect them. Not that it ever has done in the past, and nor will it with the executive action RM has lined up.
They need to remember that managers tilt their heads upwards to kiss arses, not downwards.
FacesOfStone
Posts: 112
Joined: 01 Jan 2018, 21:52
Gender: Male

RUNNING POSTMEN

Post by FacesOfStone »

It's rare that I find myself sharing a van with a runner, but where I once would have tried to keep up, I now work at my own pace. I’ve never been pulled up for being slow, so I've no interest in burning myself out because someone else is used to knocking off early every day. Same with trolly use - I’m not going to be pedantic when I’ve got one bundle and a couple of light packets on a Tuesday, but gone are the days of meekly accepting having to struggle with a ridiculously overweight bag across my shoulder.
themailman
Posts: 399
Joined: 09 Jun 2010, 21:05
Gender: Male

RUNNING POSTMEN

Post by themailman »

It's sad that automated clocking in/out will be the only thing to stop them.
That's after several runs are removed from their office.