ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

van share & having a break

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Postie19931
Posts: 4
Joined: 08 Oct 2019, 16:14
Gender: Male

van share & having a break

Post by Postie19931 »

The biggest problem with the van share system is taking a break

Everyone in my office who I've worked with never takes a break when out on delivery
They just seem to work through it so they can finish 30 mins early, which is fine, but it does put pressure on you to not take the break your entitled to.
sometimes I just want to take a 10 min breather after doing 3 huge loops, but feel that I can't as the other person wants to press on and finish early.

I've been to other offices and worked alone before and it was great, took 5 mins after 1 loop, took another 10 mins whenever I wanted etc.
ya know, I don't want to come across as a D*** by saying "We're not leaving yet, I want a break"

But its just one issue I've come across

Does anyone else find this to be a problem?
toonshola
Posts: 917
Joined: 29 Jul 2011, 16:31
Gender: Male

van share & having a break

Post by toonshola »

This is just one of the van share problems that annoy me too. Being stuck with a runner who is continually rushing around to get a flyer is also a downside to van sharing. Honestly I would rather be stuck with the slowest postie in the world than a stress head runner. The only good thing about this parcel strategy Royal Mail want to bring in is it might open up more deliveries where I could work on my own delivering parcels. Working with other people is crap lol
picture123
Posts: 121
Joined: 22 Oct 2014, 20:42
Gender: Male

van share & having a break

Post by picture123 »

It is against the working time directive to take your full break at the end of the shift. Speak to your manager/rep if this is what people are doing in your office as they should be enforcing people to take at least a part break
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

van share & having a break

Post by Jpro747 »

And if you have an accident they’ll use it against you.
Tinoblade
Posts: 252
Joined: 13 Jan 2018, 19:51
Gender: Male

van share & having a break

Post by Tinoblade »

Postie19931 wrote:The biggest problem with the van share system is taking a break

Everyone in my office who I've worked with never takes a break when out on delivery
They just seem to work through it so they can finish 30 mins early, which is fine, but it does put pressure on you to not take the break your entitled to.
sometimes I just want to take a 10 min breather after doing 3 huge loops, but feel that I can't as the other person wants to press on and finish early.

I've been to other offices and worked alone before and it was great, took 5 mins after 1 loop, took another 10 mins whenever I wanted etc.
ya know, I don't want to come across as a D*** by saying "We're not leaving yet, I want a break"

But its just one issue I've come across

Does anyone else find this to be a problem?
It is tough when your with a regular or whatever. If your with someone new I'd state on the office at the beginning of the week that you will be taking a break while out on delivery.
Then when it gets to it either just sit at the end of the loop and don't move on or if they decide to drive to the next loop just take your break before you start it and they'll have to wait at the end. You're entitled to and should take your break.
Trail
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 162
Joined: 01 Dec 2016, 19:54
Gender: Male

van share & having a break

Post by Trail »

Only one person I worked with always took his break, and I was happy to take it with him because it was only 20 minutes and we used to sit in the old folks' community centre and have a craic with them while we ate our sandwiches, and the fella who I was partnering was salt of the earth old school ex-steelworker who always provided good conversation while were in the community centre. This fella was older than me and wouldn't run around, and I was lightning, so when I finished my half of the loop I'd go help him finish up - this meant the 20 minutes break was cut in real terms because I'd always help him to get things done. The difference between a break or no break was a ten minutes later finish. I can deal with that.

Most of the young 'uns (like me) who I worked with and who had been with the company longer than me never took a break unless we were well ahead of our time. I never wanted one, I was more hellbent on getting finished.
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

van share & having a break

Post by norris9 »

When are all your finish times. Don't you get to take some of your break at the end of the day and therefore finish at say ~2pm ?
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

van share & having a break

Post by norris9 »

Trail wrote:Most of the young 'uns (like me) who I worked with and who had been with the company longer than me never took a break unless we were well ahead of our time. I never wanted one, I was more hellbent on getting finished.
For most posties they feel under pressure and can't be sure what time they will finish most days so they prefer to plod on. Plus sitting around in a van for more than a few minutes is boring as heck.

But people that run round taking every short cut possible, those people should be hung drawn and quartered.
Postie19931
Posts: 4
Joined: 08 Oct 2019, 16:14
Gender: Male

van share & having a break

Post by Postie19931 »

toonshola wrote:The only good thing about this parcel strategy Royal Mail want to bring in is it might open up more deliveries where I could work on my own delivering parcels. Working with other people is crap lol
What exactly is this new parcel system they are bringing in?
scoobydo79
Posts: 2057
Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
Gender: Male

van share & having a break

Post by scoobydo79 »

One in six walks will be a designated big parcel driver working alone.
Postie19931
Posts: 4
Joined: 08 Oct 2019, 16:14
Gender: Male

van share & having a break

Post by Postie19931 »

scoobydo79 wrote:One in six walks will be a designated big parcel driver working alone.
So taking all the big parcels for 6 walks in one duty?
Sounds alright tbf.
poisonpostie
Posts: 47
Joined: 11 May 2019, 19:29
Gender: Male

van share & having a break

Post by poisonpostie »

Postie19931 wrote:
scoobydo79 wrote:One in six walks will be a designated big parcel driver working alone.
So taking all the big parcels for 6 walks in one duty?
Sounds alright tbf.
Not really when the five rounds get the sixth shared between them extra 80 -100 calls each :cry
ssdd
Posts: 2053
Joined: 06 Sep 2018, 22:39
Gender: Male

van share & having a break

Post by ssdd »

Postie19931 wrote:
scoobydo79 wrote:One in six walks will be a designated big parcel driver working alone.
So taking all the big parcels for 6 walks in one duty?
Sounds alright tbf

Don't forget this will be in addition to LAT parcels where you may be covering rural or further away delivery points, and probably working something like a 12-7pm shift, unless I've misunderstood 'the new parcel strategy'.
redneck
Posts: 788
Joined: 04 Jan 2010, 20:28
Gender: Male

van share & having a break

Post by redneck »

Take your break. If the other guy wants to work through let them but they will have to work around your own break entitlement.
grchpo
Posts: 488
Joined: 16 Mar 2019, 13:59
Gender: Male

van share & having a break

Post by grchpo »

ssdd wrote:
Postie19931 wrote:
scoobydo79 wrote:One in six walks will be a designated big parcel driver working alone.
So taking all the big parcels for 6 walks in one duty?
Sounds alright tbf

Don't forget this will be in addition to LAT parcels where you may be covering rural or further away delivery points, and probably working something like a 12-7pm shift, unless I've misunderstood 'the new parcel strategy'.
I thought rural duties weren't included, still taking their own large parcels ?