So I returned to work on Monday and had my RTW on Tuesday morning. I was told that I had triggered a stage 3. Although this absence isn't the one that triggered it, as my six month reset ended on the 27th December. The absence which I assume triggered it, was 2 days I was off just before Christmas. On that RTW, nothing was mentioned about a stage 3 interview.
I know I was only a few days from my stage 2 being reset, but my abusive ex made me suicidal, so I had to go sick and get immediate help.
I was also never formally issued a stage 2,as in I had my RTW but was never notified of the decision. That was back in June, and I only got told I was given a stage 2 after a 2 day absence in November. So I certainly never signed any paper work about receiving a stage 2, but I've been told that isn't an issue.
Anyway, first thing I did was take my break and text my area rep to let him know.
What should I be expecting from this interview? I thought the stage 2 cock up might have made this whole thing go away, but I've been told it's not a big deal. Will the fact that all my absences in the last year were due to being sexually assaulted, and being in an abusive relationship, resulting in mental health issues play a factor? And why was I only notified of a stage 3 meeting, a month after the absence that triggered it!
Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Stage 3 interview, what to expect?
-
General Mannerheim
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2299
- Joined: 14 Dec 2007, 13:10
- Gender: Male
- Location: Stalag 17
Stage 3 interview, what to expect?
You will go in with a rep and a manager and they will talk to you about your reasons for being off and will check that the stages have been correctly applied. If there's any issues with you having a disability etc.
After you've had your say your rep will add his reasons why you should be retained, but it's all down to if the dismissal manager thinks that you will improve your attendance and give good service in the future, most of the time you will get off with being downgraded to a stage 2 again.
After you've had your say your rep will add his reasons why you should be retained, but it's all down to if the dismissal manager thinks that you will improve your attendance and give good service in the future, most of the time you will get off with being downgraded to a stage 2 again.
Royal Mail managers.....about as popular as a t.urd in a swimming pool!
The DDA/Equality Act demands action,NOT words......adjustments NOT Occupational Health referrals.Case No:2505901/09
Royal Mail is an Equal Opportunities Employer..It discriminates against everybody.
The DDA/Equality Act demands action,NOT words......adjustments NOT Occupational Health referrals.Case No:2505901/09
Royal Mail is an Equal Opportunities Employer..It discriminates against everybody.
-
Elfcamel
- Posts: 3
- Joined: 22 Jan 2020, 09:20
- Gender: Male
Stage 3 interview, what to expect?
Am I allowed to insist on an area rep, or will RM view the office rep as acceptable?General Mannerheim wrote:You will go in with a rep and a manager and they will talk to you about your reasons for being off and will check that the stages have been correctly applied. If there's any issues with you having a disability etc.
After you've had your say your rep will add his reasons why you should be retained, but it's all down to if the dismissal manager thinks that you will improve your attendance and give good service in the future, most of the time you will get off with being downgraded to a stage 2 again.
I'm glad to see that it usually results in being back to a stage 2, as now I'm out of my previous relationship, I have no concerns about my mental health at all. Hopefully the dismissal manager will see it that way too. I'm not confident though!
-
General Mannerheim
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2299
- Joined: 14 Dec 2007, 13:10
- Gender: Male
- Location: Stalag 17
Stage 3 interview, what to expect?
RM would be delighted if you go in with your local rep. You really do need to get either ideally your Area or Divisional rep to go in with you as they are probably going to be more familiar to the dismissal manager. (anybody for golf?)Elfcamel wrote:Am I allowed to insist on an area rep, or will RM view the office rep as acceptable?General Mannerheim wrote:You will go in with a rep and a manager and they will talk to you about your reasons for being off and will check that the stages have been correctly applied. If there's any issues with you having a disability etc.
After you've had your say your rep will add his reasons why you should be retained, but it's all down to if the dismissal manager thinks that you will improve your attendance and give good service in the future, most of the time you will get off with being downgraded to a stage 2 again.
I'm glad to see that it usually results in being back to a stage 2, as now I'm out of my previous relationship, I have no concerns about my mental health at all. Hopefully the dismissal manager will see it that way too. I'm not confident though!
Whilst it is never 100% that you will get off with another warning if you've given a good account of yourself and your rep is competent
Royal Mail managers.....about as popular as a t.urd in a swimming pool!
The DDA/Equality Act demands action,NOT words......adjustments NOT Occupational Health referrals.Case No:2505901/09
Royal Mail is an Equal Opportunities Employer..It discriminates against everybody.
The DDA/Equality Act demands action,NOT words......adjustments NOT Occupational Health referrals.Case No:2505901/09
Royal Mail is an Equal Opportunities Employer..It discriminates against everybody.
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
Stage 3 interview, what to expect?
you could well be covered under the equality act, due to mental illness (depression). Do you have any documentation that you were suicidal and needed help ? drs reports would help. It sounds like to me with your history that you could well have all of this covered under the equality act as the absences are linked. Id recommend talking this point over with at least your local rep and if they cant help go above them.
-
Elfcamel
- Posts: 3
- Joined: 22 Jan 2020, 09:20
- Gender: Male
Stage 3 interview, what to expect?
I'd be more than happy to provide RM with my medical records. They'll show my depression history/medication. I'm certain I'm covered under the equality act, but I don't know if that'll influence RMs decision. My GP recommended that I come off my medication since I got out of my abusive relationship, so that'll also be on my medical reports.Postie45 wrote:you could well be covered under the equality act, due to mental illness (depression). Do you have any documentation that you were suicidal and needed help ? drs reports would help. It sounds like to me with your history that you could well have all of this covered under the equality act as the absences are linked. Id recommend talking this point over with at least your local rep and if they cant help go above them.
My local and area rep already know about my history with mental illness. It's how I got a stage 2 reversed last year after I was assaulted. I got the impression from them, that it's not that relevant to a stage 3. But I may just be over thinking that.
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
Stage 3 interview, what to expect?
Then you should be fine, Equality act will scare the sh!t out of them sacking you, a long track record of depression is covered under the act, if they havent made reasonable grounds to accomodate your health issues then they leave themselves wide open legally.Elfcamel wrote: I'd be more than happy to provide RM with my medical records. They'll show my depression history/medication. I'm certain I'm covered under the equality act, but I don't know if that'll influence RMs decision.
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
Stage 3 interview, what to expect?
actually its not relevant to stage 1 or 2, but 100% relevant at stage 3 where factors like this are taken into consideration. At worst its a possible IHR case in the long term.Elfcamel wrote:
My local and area rep already know about my history with mental illness. It's how I got a stage 2 reversed last year after I was assaulted. I got the impression from them, that it's not that relevant to a stage 3. But I may just be over thinking that.