ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Forced to work unpaid/free
-
sledge4882
- Posts: 24
- Joined: 03 Feb 2011, 16:16
- Gender: Male
Forced to work unpaid/free
So I don't get recognised I keep it short and sweet,
In a recent event I did my contractual hours in a day's work as I'm only 30hrs a week. I came in at 7am, and finished at 1pm
My line manager said I couldnt go because I had "an hour" left & wanted me to take mail back out. I meant to start at 8am and finish at 2pm, but effectively I've worked the same time frame.
I refused to work unpaid work. He got mad at me. I reported to union rep and they let me go.
If I didn't go to the union I would of been doing "slave labour"
Does anybody else have this treatment from management or have had a manager try this on with them? Making you work for nothing. It's BS it really is.
In a recent event I did my contractual hours in a day's work as I'm only 30hrs a week. I came in at 7am, and finished at 1pm
My line manager said I couldnt go because I had "an hour" left & wanted me to take mail back out. I meant to start at 8am and finish at 2pm, but effectively I've worked the same time frame.
I refused to work unpaid work. He got mad at me. I reported to union rep and they let me go.
If I didn't go to the union I would of been doing "slave labour"
Does anybody else have this treatment from management or have had a manager try this on with them? Making you work for nothing. It's BS it really is.
-
Yamr1
- Posts: 625
- Joined: 04 Feb 2018, 11:26
- Gender: Female
Forced to work unpaid/free
The fact is any employee who attends work early and does so voluntarily and who is then
involved in an accident will not have such an accident viewed as an industrial injury by the
DWP, which will impact on any possible later claim for compensation.
Sorry but your starting before your official start time your rep should have told you , and your manager should have sent you to the canteen till your correct start time ..
involved in an accident will not have such an accident viewed as an industrial injury by the
DWP, which will impact on any possible later claim for compensation.
Sorry but your starting before your official start time your rep should have told you , and your manager should have sent you to the canteen till your correct start time ..
-
Yamr1
- Posts: 625
- Joined: 04 Feb 2018, 11:26
- Gender: Female
Forced to work unpaid/free
Always attend work at your official start times. Attending work far in advance of your scheduled attendance times is unnecessary, means you are working for no pay, and giving a unfair reflection of your daily workload and the time needed, and will have serious
detrimental consequences if you are involved in an accident
Start time 8am simples
Do you ever watch the union updates or attended any gate meetings
They clearly state start at correct start times , use correct equipment that's mandatory for that duty the list could go on
detrimental consequences if you are involved in an accident
Start time 8am simples
Do you ever watch the union updates or attended any gate meetings
They clearly state start at correct start times , use correct equipment that's mandatory for that duty the list could go on
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72738
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Forced to work unpaid/free
sledge4882 wrote:So I don't get recognised I keep it short and sweet,
In a recent event I did my contractual hours in a day's work as I'm only 30hrs a week. I came in at 7am, and finished at 1pm
My line manager said I couldnt go because I had "an hour" left & wanted me to take mail back out. I meant to start at 8am and finish at 2pm, but effectively I've worked the same time frame.
I refused to work unpaid work. He got mad at me. I reported to union rep and they let me go.
If I didn't go to the union I would of been doing "slave labour"
Does anybody else have this treatment from management or have had a manager try this on with them? Making you work for nothing. It's BS it really is.
Short and simple:
If you voluntarily started work early then the manager can insist you stay till your finish time.
If you were asked to come in early, he can still insist you work to your time unless you came to an agreement to finish early.
Royal Mail doesn't work flexi-time, and probably never will.
A person in my office tried to claim what you have, unfortunately, he did it when a new manager wanted to "make his name" and he ended up leaving RM.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
rogersh
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 1374
- Joined: 26 Oct 2011, 11:31
- Gender: Male
Forced to work unpaid/free
Your subject title is misleading. You are not being forced to worked over you time for free. You are voluntary coming in an hour before your start time. As pointed out it would affect a claim if you had an accident within that period.
-
Ricardo44
- Posts: 164
- Joined: 15 Dec 2013, 20:34
- Gender: Male
Forced to work unpaid/free
Yes, you are still being paid until 2.00pm. Its the hour from 07.00 to 08.00 that you have worked for free. As you chose to do this you have not been 'forced' to work for free and the manager is right. Be very careful that you dont drop yourself right in it.
-
scoobydo79
- Posts: 2057
- Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
- Gender: Male
Forced to work unpaid/free
There is no flexi time in the job.If you start early You still work till your finish time.
-
Java joe
- Posts: 5
- Joined: 12 Mar 2017, 08:02
- Gender: Female
Forced to work unpaid/free
You don’t get to choose your own hours, start at the right time and you won’t have an issue
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
Forced to work unpaid/free
+1 to the above comments, sorry mate you seem to be at fault here not the manager.
-
postslippete
- Posts: 4198
- Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
- Gender: Male
Forced to work unpaid/free
You could always ask your manager if they are willing to pay you to come in an hour early if thats what you prefer?
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
-
paul1231
- Posts: 112
- Joined: 10 Mar 2014, 22:20
- Gender: Male
Forced to work unpaid/free
Depends if you were asked to come in for 7am and not offered to be paid over time? Plenty of times I've been asked to come in 1hour early then when i finish 30minutes before my finish time I'm told can only book 30minutes despite been told i have to come in an hour early for example. Quite often that they force you to stay till your time if theres a bit extra to do yet if theres nothing to do you have to leave early but at the cost of morning overtime that they asked for? Seems to always be in favour of the company.
-
Navalron
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1044
- Joined: 12 Aug 2017, 10:40
- Gender: Male
- Location: Glasgow
Forced to work unpaid/free
paul1231 wrote:Depends if you were asked to come in for 7am and not offered to be paid over time? Plenty of times I've been asked to come in 1hour early then when i finish 30minutes before my finish time I'm told can only book 30minutes despite been told i have to come in an hour early for example. Quite often that they force you to stay till your time if theres a bit extra to do yet if theres nothing to do you have to leave early but at the cost of morning overtime that they asked for? Seems to always be in favour of the company.
Sorry mate, but if that keeps happening, why would you come in early for them. Screw them if they play them games.
-
postslippete
- Posts: 4198
- Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
- Gender: Male
Forced to work unpaid/free
paul1231 wrote:Depends if you were asked to come in for 7am and not offered to be paid over time? Plenty of times I've been asked to come in 1hour early then when i finish 30minutes before my finish time I'm told can only book 30minutes despite been told i have to come in an hour early for example. Quite often that they force you to stay till your time if theres a bit extra to do yet if theres nothing to do you have to leave early but at the cost of morning overtime that they asked for? Seems to always be in favour of the company.
Thats a new one but different offices make up their own rules with the help of their buddy Union Reps. We have now got the banking of hours agreement back in again which means if you worked over your time by an hour on the Monday but made up 30 minutes on the Tuesday; then you would only be paid for 30 minutes. What would be the point of doing any overtime in the first place??
Honestly, the way things are going you would be better off NOT doing any overtime for this company. That means don't come in early, don't take any extra loops for the bosses on 'overtime' and certainly don't work past your finish time.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
-
picture123
- Posts: 121
- Joined: 22 Oct 2014, 20:42
- Gender: Male
Forced to work unpaid/free
If you start before your time it should be overtime and agreed in advance. Finish times should be static. Otherwise you'd have partimers who've came in early in vanshares saying they've done their contracted hours before the full timer is finished.
-
Seymour Buts
- Posts: 1148
- Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
Forced to work unpaid/free
I swear posts like this are done to wind people up.