ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Parcels up by 18%

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Rommagic
Posts: 1518
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 16:52

Parcels up by 18%

Post by Rommagic »

This Christmas.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12194
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Parcels up by 18%

Post by SpacePhoenix »

I think people left it later this year than the previous few years when ordering stuff
Rommagic
Posts: 1518
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 16:52

Parcels up by 18%

Post by Rommagic »

Why they left it later?.
Decky Boy
Posts: 440
Joined: 22 May 2009, 10:00
Gender: Male

Parcels up by 18%

Post by Decky Boy »

Rommagic wrote:This Christmas.
In my office it looked like both parcels and Christmas cards were fewer than last year ! Please quote your source Rommagic?
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Parcels up by 18%

Post by Celgar »

I got the impression that the amount of Xmas cards posted was down this year both from what I emptied from the postboxes and the amount of cards we were delivering seemed less. I didn't see a postbox filled to the top this year but usually have at least once in previous years.
I would agree there seemed to be a lot more parcels & an awful lot more small packets this year than last. I was delivering somewhat in the dark for numerous days this year during the Xmas pressure period which hasn't occurred in previous years. I wasn't hanging around or talking to many customers either so I think this must mean parcels were up and probably by more of an increase than between 2017 & 2018.
I think people generally do leave buying at least some stuff and posting cards til the last few days before Xmas. I try not to do that but have done so in the past as I am not really a fan of Christmas. It could be to with the companies/retailers/couriers not being able to cope with the increased amount of business as well though.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
deltaforce
Posts: 778
Joined: 01 Jan 2009, 15:29
Gender: Male

Parcels up by 18%

Post by deltaforce »

Pitney Bowes in their annual report state that globally parcel traffic will double in the next 6 years to 200 billion from 83 billion now. On average uk market has been growing at 12% per year. In our office the increase in parcel traffic started early nov and is still coming in thickly now.
redneck
Posts: 788
Joined: 04 Jan 2010, 20:28
Gender: Male

Parcels up by 18%

Post by redneck »

Parcels and packets that need a knock are undoubtedly still on the climb, but management don't seem to think it will impact on our work, ever. Dinosaurs.
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Parcels up by 18%

Post by rambo1 »

Decky Boy wrote:
Rommagic wrote:This Christmas.
In my office it looked like both parcels and Christmas cards were fewer than last year ! Please quote your source Rommagic?
Where do you work, I wanna transfer!
Hitcher
Posts: 1532
Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 09:59
Gender: Male

Parcels up by 18%

Post by Hitcher »

Rommagic wrote:Why they left it later?.
General election.