ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Dropping a day. Has anyone thought about it?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
postiewhite
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 619
Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
Gender: Male

Dropping a day. Has anyone thought about it?

Post by postiewhite »

Im on a 30hr contract over 5 days and lately it has taken a toll on my legs and body and was going to see if I can drop a day which could mean I drop my contracted hours. Is there anyway of going about it or will this be refused by the dom?
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

Dropping a day. Has anyone thought about it?

Post by wacko74 »

Will almost certainly be refused unless it suits your DOM.

You might stand a better chance of getting some kind of job share if there's someone else looking to reduce their hours, rather than just you asking to work a day less per week.

Two of you covering a duty over six (7 hour) days might work?... you get to only work a 3 day week, your DOM doesn't have to worry about day off cover for that duty as it's covered for the full 6 days?
FellChair
Posts: 73
Joined: 29 Aug 2007, 13:21
Location: East Midlands

Dropping a day. Has anyone thought about it?

Post by FellChair »

I went from 5 days to 4 days (32 hours) a few years ago and it's the best thing I've ever done! I now have every Tuesday off plus a rotating day, that extra day off makes all the difference plus the pay is still quite good, and I'm more willing to go over given that I've got 2 days off a week now. DOM bit my hand off as it was an easy way for him to save hours, doesn't hurt to ask and I'd definitely recommend it if you're looking to improve work/life balance!
gerrys
Posts: 33
Joined: 03 Sep 2011, 16:15
Gender: Male

Dropping a day. Has anyone thought about it?

Post by gerrys »

FellChair is right what have you got to lose by asking your DOM?on a 30 hr contract dropping down to 24 hrs. you will take a hit of approx.40 quid a week in your hand but;manage a better work to life balance,go for it! best of luck
ssdd
Posts: 2053
Joined: 06 Sep 2018, 22:39
Gender: Male

Dropping a day. Has anyone thought about it?

Post by ssdd »

We have 2 guys in our office do a job share. Each do 3 x 8 hour days.
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

Dropping a day. Has anyone thought about it?

Post by norris9 »

I'd rather do 4 days. I am shattered. I am usually shutting down by 7pm, can't keep eyes open any longer and body wants to turn off.

Also don't want to spend my life delivering post. I reckon when I am on my death bed I'll say to myself - why did you spend all that time delivering mail.
peterg
Posts: 16
Joined: 17 Jan 2008, 15:07

Dropping a day. Has anyone thought about it?

Post by peterg »

job sharing here aswell. Best thing I ever did. 3 x 6 hour days per week. Never feel as tired or pXXXXd off. Found the perfect balance