ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Advice please
-
Chrislfc85
- Posts: 5
- Joined: 03 Jan 2020, 19:10
- Gender: Male
Advice please
Hi everyone, bit long winded so bear with me. I suffered a broken wrist as a passenger in a work van last December. DOM bullied me into not reporting it and going in for light duties (basically throwing D2D's in for 5 hours a day), using the fact that I had been with the company less than 12 months and wouldn't get sick pay and "if you report it they'll find a way to sack you". During this time I attempted to commit suicide.
Fast forward to August this year, I fainted over a wall whilst on delivery, sustained ligament, tendon and muscle damage as well as a dislocated elbow, had surgery 2 weeks later, and have been off sick ever since. My mother died 3 days after the op, and everything has been a struggle ever since.
DOM (different one now) refused to refer me to Occupational Health when the line manager suggested it in Sept. When I asked about it in November, I was told "I won't refer you. If you can't recover to come back to work, we'll let you exhaust the sick pay and leave you with no choice but to resign".
Union help has been non existsent, I sent my last sick note in via email to the CEO office as I couldn't face seeing my DOM. They didn't reply, but as that sicknote is due to run out this Monday, they've sent a letter today asking me to go in for a face to face TOMORROW. Again I can't face this. They've sent my anxiety through the roof. I've been advised not to drive while the cause of the fainting is investigated, been diagnosed with Diverticular disease just before Xmas due to damage caused by ibuprofen, depression continually getting worse, I just can't face them.
Because I'm a single parent I get universal credit to top up my income. They determined I'm unfit for any work or work related activity, yet my employer won't refer me to OH for assessment or any possible extra physio etc. Rather than helping me mentally, they have made my situation 10 times work. What the hell do I do?!
Fast forward to August this year, I fainted over a wall whilst on delivery, sustained ligament, tendon and muscle damage as well as a dislocated elbow, had surgery 2 weeks later, and have been off sick ever since. My mother died 3 days after the op, and everything has been a struggle ever since.
DOM (different one now) refused to refer me to Occupational Health when the line manager suggested it in Sept. When I asked about it in November, I was told "I won't refer you. If you can't recover to come back to work, we'll let you exhaust the sick pay and leave you with no choice but to resign".
Union help has been non existsent, I sent my last sick note in via email to the CEO office as I couldn't face seeing my DOM. They didn't reply, but as that sicknote is due to run out this Monday, they've sent a letter today asking me to go in for a face to face TOMORROW. Again I can't face this. They've sent my anxiety through the roof. I've been advised not to drive while the cause of the fainting is investigated, been diagnosed with Diverticular disease just before Xmas due to damage caused by ibuprofen, depression continually getting worse, I just can't face them.
Because I'm a single parent I get universal credit to top up my income. They determined I'm unfit for any work or work related activity, yet my employer won't refer me to OH for assessment or any possible extra physio etc. Rather than helping me mentally, they have made my situation 10 times work. What the hell do I do?!
-
Rumple
- Posts: 429
- Joined: 20 Nov 2013, 10:45
- Gender: Male
Advice please
This is the worst case of bullying I've heard within RM. This needs escalating immediately.Chrislfc85 wrote:I suffered a broken wrist as a passenger in a work van last December. DOM bullied me into not reporting it and going in for light duties (basically throwing D2D's in for 5 hours a day), using the fact that I had been with the company less than 12 months and wouldn't get sick pay and "if you report it they'll find a way to sack you".!
How did you break your wrist as a passenger?
-
Chrislfc85
- Posts: 5
- Joined: 03 Jan 2020, 19:10
- Gender: Male
Advice please
Van went into the back of a car on a wet road. I saw it coming and put my hands out onto the dash to brace myself. They tried saying I didn't have my seat belt on at the time but then dropped that when I agreed not to report it. I've since gone down the no win no fee route with it and RM have another month to reply with their side of the story.
I'd read plenty of horror stories about management before I started. Should have gone with the gut and stayed where I was before!
I'd read plenty of horror stories about management before I started. Should have gone with the gut and stayed where I was before!
-
blacov
- Posts: 397
- Joined: 12 May 2019, 21:40
- Gender: Male
Advice please
This should be taken somewhere else to highlight the problem. I assume you have all the paper work and your accident is a bulletproof case and there is no shadow of a doubt that you are responsible for it. RM management should be ashamed. I hope you are going be fine after all.
This is unbelievable how a human being can treat another one. Individuals responsible for all this should be named and shamed. Starting from your local union rep and DOM or whoever dealt with your case.
This is unbelievable how a human being can treat another one. Individuals responsible for all this should be named and shamed. Starting from your local union rep and DOM or whoever dealt with your case.
-
redneck
- Posts: 788
- Joined: 04 Jan 2010, 20:28
- Gender: Male
Advice please
I am horrified by this. If you are a member of the union it's appalling that you feel you have had little or no support, and are using a no win no fee legal challenge to get compensation for the incident at the root of the problem. Words fail me regarding our esteemed employer in all of this.
-
Dindin
- Posts: 491
- Joined: 29 Jul 2019, 17:19
- Gender: Male
Advice please
This is similar to when I said our office isn't paying evr out they're exhausting sick pay to zero
-
hero22
- Posts: 593
- Joined: 21 Mar 2016, 19:48
- Gender: Male
Advice please
was chilled out all evening until I read this
. My heart goes out to you and all the others who are suffering such bullying and always have it in the back of my mind that it could one day be me next.
If i was you mate and you can afford it, get some advice from a solicitor, the stuff that goes on in this company and that it gets away with is disgusting. I simply don't have faith in the union to have the legal know how to deal with such situations and that's based on some personal experiences in our office. I know from personal experience too on a couple of occasions I have had issues with DOM and have threatened a solicitor their attitude does seem to change.
Please Please phone the Samaritans or similar organisations for your personal problems and talk it over and maybe phone the bullying helpline and see if they can help. just ask and I will help you with the phone numbers etc.
If i was you mate and you can afford it, get some advice from a solicitor, the stuff that goes on in this company and that it gets away with is disgusting. I simply don't have faith in the union to have the legal know how to deal with such situations and that's based on some personal experiences in our office. I know from personal experience too on a couple of occasions I have had issues with DOM and have threatened a solicitor their attitude does seem to change.
Please Please phone the Samaritans or similar organisations for your personal problems and talk it over and maybe phone the bullying helpline and see if they can help. just ask and I will help you with the phone numbers etc.
-
hero22
- Posts: 593
- Joined: 21 Mar 2016, 19:48
- Gender: Male
Advice please
If your a union rep reading this thread please highlight it to someone further up the chain. How the feck can this company get away with this.
-
robbertwhitton
- Posts: 1132
- Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
- Gender: Male
Advice please
I stopped reading the post after”got bullied into not reporting it “????!! We really don’t help ourselves do we?Best of luck with the proper and rightful outcome with this
-
Chrislfc85
- Posts: 5
- Joined: 03 Jan 2020, 19:10
- Gender: Male
Advice please
Completely agree! Unfortunately, I sometimes act in ways I don't understand and can't explain. The panic that hit me yesterday has led to my anti depressants being increased. I can sit here now and tell myself how stupid I am and I need to man up, but when I try to put that into practise, I just can't. The number of times I swapped rest days at last minute, did extra loops etc, it was never because I wanted To, they knew I'd do it for an easy life. On the odd occasion I said no, the DOM and his assistant would be absolute arse holes with me until I changed my mind. I know I need to grow a pair, but saying it and doing it are two very different things.robbertwhitton wrote:I stopped reading the post after”got bullied into not reporting it “????!! We really don’t help ourselves do we?Best of luck with the proper and rightful outcome with this
-
hothothot
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 422
- Joined: 06 Sep 2016, 13:15
- Gender: Male
Advice please
This is really quite appalling ,but it's typical of royal mail where bullying is an every day event. You do not have to go into the office for a face to face they can be done at your home but make sure your unoin rep is present. That will put the Dom off for sure. Don't feel as though it's you Thier picking on , they treat everyone the same unfortunately. As long as you have got a sick note they can't do much about it. Remember it's only a job , your much more important . Remember however bad it seems it is just a job. I've been Thier I know what it's like , believe me it will get sorted and your get better. If your getting harmful thoughts contact your doctor for someone to talk it over with. If it gets worse than that talk to someone at the Samaritans. Don't let the bastards grind you down. My thoughts are with you , you will get better. Good luck. Remember your important the on isn't.
-
Ricardo44
- Posts: 164
- Joined: 15 Dec 2013, 20:34
- Gender: Male
Advice please
From reading your first post you should be eligible for ill health retirement and meet the criteria for the ESA support group. Its an absolute disgrace that they wouldnt refer you to OH. Good Luck.
-
hawkeye622
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 122
- Joined: 03 Jul 2019, 21:03
- Gender: Male
Advice please
It's ridiculous that you are being treated like you are mate. Honestly, I don't understand why management feel the need to deploy bullying tactics so much within RM. It's sickening! Go further up the chain regarding the union as your rep has let you down drastically. Your mental health will never get better when there isn't a slight bit of empathy being shown to you. As someone above did say, it is only a job. Good luck bud!
-
noggin1969
- Posts: 1321
- Joined: 13 Oct 2009, 17:28
- Gender: Male
Advice please
Contact the DWP : https://www.gov.uk/industrial-injuries- ... w-to-claim" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Report the original accident and fainting incident. The DWP will contact RM for the reports , then when they can't find a paper trail you can explain why. RM will be held accountable and receive a fine. Get intouch with the area Rep and H&S Rep or go straight to Head Quarters. Re the seat belt you may be held partially blameworthy but that can be argued at a later date. Also fill in a grievance form with HR against both DOM's.
Report the original accident and fainting incident. The DWP will contact RM for the reports , then when they can't find a paper trail you can explain why. RM will be held accountable and receive a fine. Get intouch with the area Rep and H&S Rep or go straight to Head Quarters. Re the seat belt you may be held partially blameworthy but that can be argued at a later date. Also fill in a grievance form with HR against both DOM's.
-
maisymoo04
- Posts: 2226
- Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
- Gender: Male
- Location: You dont want to no
Advice please
Top advice noggin
, Chris hope everything works out right it will mate chin up

"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"