ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Bank Holiday - PT 30 hours

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
gimba
Posts: 192
Joined: 08 Aug 2018, 21:12
Gender: Male

Bank Holiday - PT 30 hours

Post by gimba »

Do part timers NOT get back holidays?

I was asked either a days extra payment or a day back to use another time, but no option to just have a bank holiday like most of the UK
ted_e_bear
Posts: 4110
Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 19:37
Gender: Male

Bank Holiday - PT 30 hours

Post by ted_e_bear »

I presume you mean do reserves get bank holidays, if your office never has enough staff then unfortunately
the answer is no.
gimba
Posts: 192
Joined: 08 Aug 2018, 21:12
Gender: Male

Bank Holiday - PT 30 hours

Post by gimba »

ahh damn ok,
I was reading royal mail site and it says No deliveries or Collections new years day
was hoping there was a cockup at my depot
gimba
Posts: 192
Joined: 08 Aug 2018, 21:12
Gender: Male

Bank Holiday - PT 30 hours

Post by gimba »

ahh damn ok,
I was reading royal mail site and it says No deliveries or Collections new years day
was hoping there was a cockup at my depot
ted_e_bear
Posts: 4110
Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 19:37
Gender: Male

Bank Holiday - PT 30 hours

Post by ted_e_bear »

Ah sorry I'll explain a bit more, if your office is generally understaffed like most then the easiest option for your manager when a bank holiday crops up is to allocate that day to be the reserves day off so there's the maximum number of staff available, yes of course you do get bank holidays off but as you've found out they'll quite often give you them as your day off hence the option of pay or a lieu day.
gimba
Posts: 192
Joined: 08 Aug 2018, 21:12
Gender: Male

Bank Holiday - PT 30 hours

Post by gimba »

Oh, I don't have a day off on Wednesday, I'm writtend down as being in

My day off is Tuesday

Guessing the same applies, short staffed = reserves
Bahia Feliz
Posts: 1169
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
Gender: Male

Bank Holiday - PT 30 hours

Post by Bahia Feliz »

gimba wrote:Oh, I don't have a day off on Wednesday, I'm writtend down as being in

My day off is Tuesday

Guessing the same applies, short staffed = reserves
If your day off is Tuesday then you will get Tuesday (your day off) and Wednesday (New years day) off.
gimba
Posts: 192
Joined: 08 Aug 2018, 21:12
Gender: Male

Bank Holiday - PT 30 hours

Post by gimba »

Bahia Feliz wrote:
gimba wrote:Oh, I don't have a day off on Wednesday, I'm writtend down as being in

My day off is Tuesday

Guessing the same applies, short staffed = reserves
If your day off is Tuesday then you will get Tuesday (your day off) and Wednesday (New years day) off.
I'm written down as in on a certain frame, I wasn't sure if all royal mail was closed bank holidays but guessing not, shame
Blaine
Posts: 90
Joined: 13 Oct 2011, 20:07
Gender: Male

Bank Holiday - PT 30 hours

Post by Blaine »

ted_e_bear wrote:Ah sorry I'll explain a bit more, if your office is generally understaffed like most then the easiest option for your manager when a bank holiday crops up is to allocate that day to be the reserves day off so there's the maximum number of staff available, yes of course you do get bank holidays off but as you've found out they'll quite often give you them as your day off hence the option of pay or a lieu day.
Quick question - we are being told we can no longer claim overtime if our day off falls on a bank holiday and getting a day in lieu is now the only option. Is this right, or is the manager pulling a fast one? Every single reserve in our office has their days off on Christmas Day and New Years Day.
fb1969
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1693
Joined: 29 Aug 2012, 08:38
Gender: Male
Location: hiding on the backstreets

Bank Holiday - PT 30 hours

Post by fb1969 »

gimba wrote:
Bahia Feliz wrote:
gimba wrote:Oh, I don't have a day off on Wednesday, I'm writtend down as being in

My day off is Tuesday

Guessing the same applies, short staffed = reserves
If your day off is Tuesday then you will get Tuesday (your day off) and Wednesday (New years day) off.
I'm written down as in on a certain frame, I wasn't sure if all royal mail was closed bank holidays but guessing not, shame
There are no deliveries on Bank Holidays so I would expect your office is closed. The rosters at our office for this week (Christmas/Boxing Day) and next week (New Years Day) show duties as normal on the Bank Holidays - but no one was working!!
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
Janet Brum
Posts: 886
Joined: 28 Sep 2016, 19:52
Gender: Female

Bank Holiday - PT 30 hours

Post by Janet Brum »

gimba wrote:
Bahia Feliz wrote:
gimba wrote:Oh, I don't have a day off on Wednesday, I'm writtend down as being in

My day off is Tuesday

Guessing the same applies, short staffed = reserves
If your day off is Tuesday then you will get Tuesday (your day off) and Wednesday (New years day) off.
I'm written down as in on a certain frame, I wasn't sure if all royal mail was closed bank holidays but guessing not, shame
On bank holidays all Rm workers get a day off, definately you are off on Wednesday :)
joewyan
Posts: 382
Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
Gender: Male

Bank Holiday - PT 30 hours

Post by joewyan »

Blaine wrote:
ted_e_bear wrote:Ah sorry I'll explain a bit more, if your office is generally understaffed like most then the easiest option for your manager when a bank holiday crops up is to allocate that day to be the reserves day off so there's the maximum number of staff available, yes of course you do get bank holidays off but as you've found out they'll quite often give you them as your day off hence the option of pay or a lieu day.
Quick question - we are being told we can no longer claim overtime if our day off falls on a bank holiday and getting a day in lieu is now the only option. Is this right, or is the manager pulling a fast one? Every single reserve in our office has their days off on Christmas Day and New Years Day.
No you are entitled to the choice of a DOIL or to be paid. Your manager is definitely pulling a fast one
gary1975
Posts: 482
Joined: 16 Apr 2011, 13:41
Gender: Male

Bank Holiday - PT 30 hours

Post by gary1975 »

Put it this way if you go in on Wednesday, you will be the only person there if that helps.
FirstPost
Posts: 675
Joined: 16 Aug 2018, 09:37
Gender: Female

Bank Holiday - PT 30 hours

Post by FirstPost »

gary1975 wrote:Put it this way if you go in on Wednesday, you will be the only person there if that helps.
there may be some others there prepping walks, I know that many like working for free at RM
Navalron
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1044
Joined: 12 Aug 2017, 10:40
Gender: Male
Location: Glasgow

Bank Holiday - PT 30 hours

Post by Navalron »

Blaine wrote:
ted_e_bear wrote:Ah sorry I'll explain a bit more, if your office is generally understaffed like most then the easiest option for your manager when a bank holiday crops up is to allocate that day to be the reserves day off so there's the maximum number of staff available, yes of course you do get bank holidays off but as you've found out they'll quite often give you them as your day off hence the option of pay or a lieu day.
Quick question - we are being told we can no longer claim overtime if our day off falls on a bank holiday and getting a day in lieu is now the only option. Is this right, or is the manager pulling a fast one? Every single reserve in our office has their days off on Christmas Day and New Years Day.

You are entitled to a day off at another time (DOIL) or payment. Your manager is being a tozzer.