ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

giving mail in street

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Postie_Rob
Posts: 10
Joined: 16 Jul 2010, 20:34
Gender: Male

giving mail in street

Post by Postie_Rob »

Do you give any mail or parcels to people in the street? Today I was in a different street when a guy came asking for parcels which I'd left a p739 card earlier. I told him I couldn't give him his parcels and told him he could have a re-delivery next day. He then proceeded to verbally abuse me. Surprise surprise when I got back to office he had phoned up and said I was swearing at him. Would you have scanned his parcels in a different street and given them to him?
NWpostie
Posts: 3620
Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
Gender: Male
Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9

giving mail in street

Post by NWpostie »

I never give mail or parcels in the street as a rule.
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
Grumpyoldmailman
Posts: 810
Joined: 24 Nov 2019, 22:29
Gender: Male

giving mail in street

Post by Grumpyoldmailman »

If he had the 739 and some id I would have given him it.
ssdd
Posts: 2053
Joined: 06 Sep 2018, 22:39
Gender: Male

giving mail in street

Post by ssdd »

Not supposed to. Have done it with customers I know and not had any comeback. It's a risk because what if it's lost or stolen before they arrive home and/or they try to make a claim. Investigations will show you weren't at the address.
chickenwittle
Posts: 2095
Joined: 15 Nov 2009, 09:43
Gender: Male

giving mail in street

Post by chickenwittle »

Postie_Rob wrote:Do you give any mail or parcels to people in the street? Today I was in a different street when a guy came asking for parcels which I'd left a p739 card earlier. I told him I couldn't give him his parcels and told him he could have a re-delivery next day. He then proceeded to verbally abuse me. Surprise surprise when I got back to office he had phoned up and said I was swearing at him. Would you have scanned his parcels in a different street and given them to him?
Yes as long as he had the 739 card you had written out earlier .
Janet Brum
Posts: 886
Joined: 28 Sep 2016, 19:52
Gender: Female

giving mail in street

Post by Janet Brum »

Grumpyoldmailman wrote:If he had the 739 and some id I would have given him it.
Me too, only the 739 it`s not enough for me.
sledge4882
Posts: 24
Joined: 03 Feb 2011, 16:16
Gender: Male

giving mail in street

Post by sledge4882 »

Sometimes it's also dodgy cause of builders or gardeners are working on the property your delivering too and you don't know them plus if the owner isnt in. What do you do? Give them the mail? Get them to sign for something? I've never had a comeback on anything going missing but to me the owner could always claim they never recieved the item...
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

giving mail in street

Post by norris9 »

hate these people, they don't care about hassling you and costing you time, as long as they save themselves time.

imagine if everyone you had docketed came looking for you later on your round.

Had one the other day, I was quarter of the way through a loop and she pulled up beside me wanting her parcel. I ended up stopping my loop, going back to the van to get her ruddy parcel just to please her. I would never hassle a Postie to do this. If I missed the parcel at my door then tough sh*t - I go and collect it.
sledge4882
Posts: 24
Joined: 03 Feb 2011, 16:16
Gender: Male

giving mail in street

Post by sledge4882 »

norris9 wrote:hate these people, they don't care about hassling you and costing you time, as long as they save themselves time.

imagine if everyone you had docketed came looking for you later on your round.

Had one the other day, I was quarter of the way through a loop and she pulled up beside me wanting her parcel. I ended up stopping my loop, going back to the van to get her ruddy parcel just to please her. I would never hassle a Postie to do this. If I missed the parcel at my door then tough sh*t - I go and collect it.
You should of finished the loop - told her park up near my van and the will give it to you when I arrive back after I finished my deliveries. Be firm with people.
gimba
Posts: 192
Joined: 08 Aug 2018, 21:12
Gender: Male

giving mail in street

Post by gimba »

There and then, i'd probably say i'm just going to finish this round and i'll drive back to the house to deliver it
and then write down the house number on a 739 just so it looks like i will deffo be there, and not just saying it to do a runner
Tinoblade
Posts: 252
Joined: 13 Jan 2018, 19:51
Gender: Male

giving mail in street

Post by Tinoblade »

norris9 wrote:hate these people, they don't care about hassling you and costing you time, as long as they save themselves time.

imagine if everyone you had docketed came looking for you later on your round.

Had one the other day, I was quarter of the way through a loop and she pulled up beside me wanting her parcel. I ended up stopping my loop, going back to the van to get her ruddy parcel just to please her. I would never hassle a Postie to do this. If I missed the parcel at my door then tough sh*t - I go and collect it.
I had a woman who kept doing this on a daily basis. I ended up just point blank ignoring her and she never did it again
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

giving mail in street

Post by Seymour Buts »

Use your common sense. If somebody comes up to you and they are nowhere near their house don't give them anything without an ID. If somebody is on the property I give them the mail; if you watch those training videos on dog awareness weeks they actually encourage you to give the mail to the customer over their gate so you avoid going onto the property. If they do appear to be a gardener or builder I just ask them if they have access to the house. Ultimately people could deny receipt, but I've literally handed people stuff at their door and they've denied receipt so what can you do.
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

giving mail in street

Post by Seymour Buts »

sledge4882 wrote:
norris9 wrote:hate these people, they don't care about hassling you and costing you time, as long as they save themselves time.

imagine if everyone you had docketed came looking for you later on your round.

Had one the other day, I was quarter of the way through a loop and she pulled up beside me wanting her parcel. I ended up stopping my loop, going back to the van to get her ruddy parcel just to please her. I would never hassle a Postie to do this. If I missed the parcel at my door then tough sh*t - I go and collect it.
You should of finished the loop - told her park up near my van and the will give it to you when I arrive back after I finished my deliveries. Be firm with people.
Correct, I will give it them but they're told to wait by the van. You're doing them a favour, not the other way round!
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

giving mail in street

Post by norris9 »

Had another one the other day, she had come out of her house onto the path and was looking for the Royal Mail van....saw me driving up the road and started waving her docket in the air.....I was going 30mph and wasn't stopping for her. :dance
compostcorner
Posts: 32
Joined: 31 May 2011, 15:14
Gender: Male

giving mail in street

Post by compostcorner »

i always stop for a 15 minute break on my round, its always in the same place and usually around the same time and i sit on a nice little wall, my customers know this and many a time my break has been interupted by people waving 739 cards at me, but generally i know all these people so its no problem.