ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
giving mail in street
-
Postie_Rob
- Posts: 10
- Joined: 16 Jul 2010, 20:34
- Gender: Male
giving mail in street
Do you give any mail or parcels to people in the street? Today I was in a different street when a guy came asking for parcels which I'd left a p739 card earlier. I told him I couldn't give him his parcels and told him he could have a re-delivery next day. He then proceeded to verbally abuse me. Surprise surprise when I got back to office he had phoned up and said I was swearing at him. Would you have scanned his parcels in a different street and given them to him?
-
NWpostie
- Posts: 3620
- Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9
giving mail in street
I never give mail or parcels in the street as a rule.
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
-
Grumpyoldmailman
- Posts: 810
- Joined: 24 Nov 2019, 22:29
- Gender: Male
giving mail in street
If he had the 739 and some id I would have given him it.
-
ssdd
- Posts: 2053
- Joined: 06 Sep 2018, 22:39
- Gender: Male
giving mail in street
Not supposed to. Have done it with customers I know and not had any comeback. It's a risk because what if it's lost or stolen before they arrive home and/or they try to make a claim. Investigations will show you weren't at the address.
-
chickenwittle
- Posts: 2095
- Joined: 15 Nov 2009, 09:43
- Gender: Male
giving mail in street
Yes as long as he had the 739 card you had written out earlier .Postie_Rob wrote:Do you give any mail or parcels to people in the street? Today I was in a different street when a guy came asking for parcels which I'd left a p739 card earlier. I told him I couldn't give him his parcels and told him he could have a re-delivery next day. He then proceeded to verbally abuse me. Surprise surprise when I got back to office he had phoned up and said I was swearing at him. Would you have scanned his parcels in a different street and given them to him?
-
Janet Brum
- Posts: 886
- Joined: 28 Sep 2016, 19:52
- Gender: Female
giving mail in street
Me too, only the 739 it`s not enough for me.Grumpyoldmailman wrote:If he had the 739 and some id I would have given him it.
-
sledge4882
- Posts: 24
- Joined: 03 Feb 2011, 16:16
- Gender: Male
giving mail in street
Sometimes it's also dodgy cause of builders or gardeners are working on the property your delivering too and you don't know them plus if the owner isnt in. What do you do? Give them the mail? Get them to sign for something? I've never had a comeback on anything going missing but to me the owner could always claim they never recieved the item...
-
norris9
- Posts: 2696
- Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
- Gender: Female
giving mail in street
hate these people, they don't care about hassling you and costing you time, as long as they save themselves time.
imagine if everyone you had docketed came looking for you later on your round.
Had one the other day, I was quarter of the way through a loop and she pulled up beside me wanting her parcel. I ended up stopping my loop, going back to the van to get her ruddy parcel just to please her. I would never hassle a Postie to do this. If I missed the parcel at my door then tough sh*t - I go and collect it.
imagine if everyone you had docketed came looking for you later on your round.
Had one the other day, I was quarter of the way through a loop and she pulled up beside me wanting her parcel. I ended up stopping my loop, going back to the van to get her ruddy parcel just to please her. I would never hassle a Postie to do this. If I missed the parcel at my door then tough sh*t - I go and collect it.
-
sledge4882
- Posts: 24
- Joined: 03 Feb 2011, 16:16
- Gender: Male
giving mail in street
You should of finished the loop - told her park up near my van and the will give it to you when I arrive back after I finished my deliveries. Be firm with people.norris9 wrote:hate these people, they don't care about hassling you and costing you time, as long as they save themselves time.
imagine if everyone you had docketed came looking for you later on your round.
Had one the other day, I was quarter of the way through a loop and she pulled up beside me wanting her parcel. I ended up stopping my loop, going back to the van to get her ruddy parcel just to please her. I would never hassle a Postie to do this. If I missed the parcel at my door then tough sh*t - I go and collect it.
-
gimba
- Posts: 192
- Joined: 08 Aug 2018, 21:12
- Gender: Male
giving mail in street
There and then, i'd probably say i'm just going to finish this round and i'll drive back to the house to deliver it
and then write down the house number on a 739 just so it looks like i will deffo be there, and not just saying it to do a runner
and then write down the house number on a 739 just so it looks like i will deffo be there, and not just saying it to do a runner
-
Tinoblade
- Posts: 252
- Joined: 13 Jan 2018, 19:51
- Gender: Male
giving mail in street
I had a woman who kept doing this on a daily basis. I ended up just point blank ignoring her and she never did it againnorris9 wrote:hate these people, they don't care about hassling you and costing you time, as long as they save themselves time.
imagine if everyone you had docketed came looking for you later on your round.
Had one the other day, I was quarter of the way through a loop and she pulled up beside me wanting her parcel. I ended up stopping my loop, going back to the van to get her ruddy parcel just to please her. I would never hassle a Postie to do this. If I missed the parcel at my door then tough sh*t - I go and collect it.
-
Seymour Buts
- Posts: 1148
- Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
giving mail in street
Use your common sense. If somebody comes up to you and they are nowhere near their house don't give them anything without an ID. If somebody is on the property I give them the mail; if you watch those training videos on dog awareness weeks they actually encourage you to give the mail to the customer over their gate so you avoid going onto the property. If they do appear to be a gardener or builder I just ask them if they have access to the house. Ultimately people could deny receipt, but I've literally handed people stuff at their door and they've denied receipt so what can you do.
-
Seymour Buts
- Posts: 1148
- Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
giving mail in street
Correct, I will give it them but they're told to wait by the van. You're doing them a favour, not the other way round!sledge4882 wrote:You should of finished the loop - told her park up near my van and the will give it to you when I arrive back after I finished my deliveries. Be firm with people.norris9 wrote:hate these people, they don't care about hassling you and costing you time, as long as they save themselves time.
imagine if everyone you had docketed came looking for you later on your round.
Had one the other day, I was quarter of the way through a loop and she pulled up beside me wanting her parcel. I ended up stopping my loop, going back to the van to get her ruddy parcel just to please her. I would never hassle a Postie to do this. If I missed the parcel at my door then tough sh*t - I go and collect it.
-
norris9
- Posts: 2696
- Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
- Gender: Female
giving mail in street
Had another one the other day, she had come out of her house onto the path and was looking for the Royal Mail van....saw me driving up the road and started waving her docket in the air.....I was going 30mph and wasn't stopping for her. 
-
compostcorner
- Posts: 32
- Joined: 31 May 2011, 15:14
- Gender: Male
giving mail in street
i always stop for a 15 minute break on my round, its always in the same place and usually around the same time and i sit on a nice little wall, my customers know this and many a time my break has been interupted by people waving 739 cards at me, but generally i know all these people so its no problem.