ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Just wondered...

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
masterblaster
Posts: 285
Joined: 10 Sep 2010, 20:12
Gender: Male

Just wondered...

Post by masterblaster »

I usually pick up the letters from a farm estate office but draw the line at taking parcels, they asked today if I could take a small packet, which would have been OK, apart from it was a tracked. I just wondered if I had of taken it, is there any way to scan it in to the system on my pda? We just have a PO counter and I know they don't accept tracked.
leolion855
Posts: 641
Joined: 11 Jun 2018, 17:41
Gender: Male

Just wondered...

Post by leolion855 »

possibly on indoor yes
Jefferson Starfish
Posts: 905
Joined: 12 Aug 2011, 15:32
Gender: Female
Location: Greendale DO

Just wondered...

Post by Jefferson Starfish »

I recently sent a tracked myself(an ebay return), it was scanned at the PO and I got a receipt/certificate of posting.

I'm not sure there's anything really stopping you from taking a tracked package and just posting it along with the letters you take, as long as the farm don't want proof it was posted.

Why don't your PO accept tracked?
masterblaster
Posts: 285
Joined: 10 Sep 2010, 20:12
Gender: Male

Just wondered...

Post by masterblaster »

Jefferson Starfish wrote:I recently sent a tracked myself(an ebay return), it was scanned at the PO and I got a receipt/certificate of posting.

I'm not sure there's anything really stopping you from taking a tracked package and just posting it along with the letters you take, as long as the farm don't want proof it was posted.

Why don't your PO accept tracked?
PO just say I need to take it to a RM counter to get a receipt, I could just put it in the bag I know, I just wondered if it could be scanned before it gets to the DO, in case it goes missing.
wallop
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 251
Joined: 02 Feb 2011, 07:34
Gender: Male

Just wondered...

Post by wallop »

Use the thing on the PDA to reccomend them for a paid for collection,Then they'll be able to send tracked.
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

Just wondered...

Post by wacko74 »

I took a tracked return off a customer the other day, asked my DOM when I got back to the D.O. if it needed scanning in to the D.O. but he said no.
ssdd
Posts: 2053
Joined: 06 Sep 2018, 22:39
Gender: Male

Just wondered...

Post by ssdd »

wacko74 wrote:I took a tracked return off a customer the other day, asked my DOM when I got back to the D.O. if it needed scanning in to the D.O. but he said no.
So if it goes missing, where are they going to come looking....? Answers on a postcard please. Recorded delivery of course, and don't forget to scan.
ssdd
Posts: 2053
Joined: 06 Sep 2018, 22:39
Gender: Male

Just wondered...

Post by ssdd »

wacko74 wrote:I took a tracked return off a customer the other day, asked my DOM when I got back to the D.O. if it needed scanning in to the D.O. but he said no.
Wacko, was this a residential customer? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think we should be doing this at the moment. I expect down the line we will be however. The reason being, just as has been highlighted, there's no option to scan as 'collected'. It's tempting to just slip it in your bag if it's small, but what happens when the customer wants that big box returned? You'll have to cut off incurring more time.

When customer collections come in they will have to be incorporated into duty time, or are you just going to absorb this extra work to do customers a favour or earn brownie points? Have a good think about this before you continue to do it.

I refused a customer the other day, saying "I would do it for you, but it has to be scanned in at the Post Office, sorry." They were totally understanding about this.
Killerbees
Posts: 4
Joined: 21 Feb 2018, 20:31
Gender: Male

Just wondered...

Post by Killerbees »

Tracked returns that get handed in at the callers office get a scan under enquiry office - acceptance . I pick an odd one up from the old dears on my round , save them making the trip . Just scan it in when I get back to the office
ted_e_bear
Posts: 4110
Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 19:37
Gender: Male

Just wondered...

Post by ted_e_bear »

Yeah you can accept it, it's indoor-acceptance or something like that on your pda,that will give the customer an online record that the item has been handed to royal mail but tbh I'd go with the other replies and say no I think you have to drop them at a post office to get a receipt etc as obviously if it's never seen again then they'll just blame you !
picture123
Posts: 121
Joined: 22 Oct 2014, 20:42
Gender: Male

Just wondered...

Post by picture123 »

Indoor-Enquiry Office-Acceptance Scan
97gaz
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1023
Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
Gender: Male

Just wondered...

Post by 97gaz »

No-one should be scanning anything on indoor other than CSP staff.
ssdd
Posts: 2053
Joined: 06 Sep 2018, 22:39
Gender: Male

Just wondered...

Post by ssdd »

97gaz wrote:No-one should be scanning anything on indoor other than CSP staff.
Here-here. Looks like we have a few heros here. :wave
yellowbelly
Posts: 3728
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

Just wondered...

Post by yellowbelly »

ssdd wrote:
97gaz wrote:No-one should be scanning anything on indoor other than CSP staff.
Here-here. Looks like we have a few heros here. :wave
Really? ''No-one should be scanning anything on indoor''? So, if you're a rural office attached to a PO
counter who won't (or whose system can't) scan in items and we have no RM CSP staff what do you suggest we do?
ssdd
Posts: 2053
Joined: 06 Sep 2018, 22:39
Gender: Male

Just wondered...

Post by ssdd »

yellowbelly wrote:
ssdd wrote:
97gaz wrote:No-one should be scanning anything on indoor other than CSP staff.
Here-here. Looks like we have a few heros here. :wave
Really? ''No-one should be scanning anything on indoor''? So, if you're a rural office attached to a PO
counter who won't (or whose system can't) scan in items and we have no RM CSP staff what do you suggest we do?
I guess there will be exceptions, but in general no. It's not our job to do it. Yet!