ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Posties - how do you feel about your job?
-
norris9
- Posts: 2696
- Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
- Gender: Female
Posties - how do you feel about your job?
This is a poll specific to Posties, those who walk many miles a day, 5 days a week sticking post and parcels through people's doors. (not van or lorry drivers or those who work solely in the sorting office).
Feel free to add any comments as to the main reason why you dislike the job.
Feel free to add any comments as to the main reason why you dislike the job.
-
leolion855
- Posts: 641
- Joined: 11 Jun 2018, 17:41
- Gender: Male
Posties - how do you feel about your job?
in a word, unsecure, which is upsetting as im quite happy in the office im in floating about.Im constantly worried about us being absorbed into a larger shitty office or having a new role with different hours.
-
Mick100
- Posts: 275
- Joined: 04 Feb 2016, 10:00
- Gender: Male
Posties - how do you feel about your job?
Absolutely hate the job now been a postie over 20 years. rounds are so long now and difficult to finish most of the year
This Christmas haven't got a hope in hell of finishing even after having most parcels taken off us. 56 now so a change of job isn't really an option.
If the opportunity of another job came my way would probably jump at the chance even taking a pay cut however have to be careful as the grass isn't always greener on the other side
This Christmas haven't got a hope in hell of finishing even after having most parcels taken off us. 56 now so a change of job isn't really an option.
If the opportunity of another job came my way would probably jump at the chance even taking a pay cut however have to be careful as the grass isn't always greener on the other side
-
awesomepenguin
- Posts: 122
- Joined: 14 Sep 2016, 20:14
- Gender: Male
Posties - how do you feel about your job?
I hate the company and the union. I did something about it - I left last week after 25 years. 
-
gimba
- Posts: 192
- Joined: 08 Aug 2018, 21:12
- Gender: Male
Posties - how do you feel about your job?
I joined march this year
I really like it so far, I've got the benefit of not being able to compare it to previous times, I see myself staying for a long time
I really like it so far, I've got the benefit of not being able to compare it to previous times, I see myself staying for a long time
-
postieblueshirt
- Posts: 1241
- Joined: 01 Oct 2019, 22:05
- Gender: Male
Posties - how do you feel about your job?
25 years service so yes ive seen the better days and thats the hardest part its changed completely.and it will change more again im afraid
-
norris9
- Posts: 2696
- Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
- Gender: Female
Posties - how do you feel about your job?
I am fairly content with the job apart from the fact I am always exhausted and in mild pain.
-
daveyeff
- Posts: 4699
- Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
- Gender: Male
Posties - how do you feel about your job?
can't say I hate it. yes, its much harder now than years gone by. the new managers we are getting in now are right arseholes and jobsworths, and just don't seem to have any people skills. plus we are getting in top brass who seem hell bent on destroying any redeeming qualities the job has left. but if you compare it with other unskilled work it comes on top with flying colours in my view.
-
MarkItZ3r0
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 12
- Joined: 14 Nov 2019, 12:38
- Gender: Male
Posties - how do you feel about your job?
Been in the job 8 years. Loved it at first, as everyone does. Every one of those years gradually got worse though. Constant arguments with managers and driver just to stop them giving me extra work. I'm on a park and loop with one of those guys who thinks they have authority to offload their work onto you just because they get the van keys - wildly misinterpreting key holder position.-
Anywho it's not all doom and gloom, I've been picking up a couple of night classes at my local college, as I have no plans to stay with the company until retirement. Mainly because, it really gets to me seeing the crap some of the long serving guys have to put up with, having wrecked their bodies in service to royal mail, only to be constantly harassed by some ex Tesco manager who doesn't even know what a bag box is and spends their morning gossiping about them to their little clique. I'm stuck here for a good few more years though, but having something else to focus on is a good distraction from the daily dose of RM bullshit. I feel a bit guilty ditching my fellow Posties. Nobody can weather a literal and figurative s**t-storm like these guys and I really hope mr Rico knows, despite the union, these guys don't take much s**t. So hows the weather in Switzerland? 'Coz it looks like a storms a comin.
Anywho it's not all doom and gloom, I've been picking up a couple of night classes at my local college, as I have no plans to stay with the company until retirement. Mainly because, it really gets to me seeing the crap some of the long serving guys have to put up with, having wrecked their bodies in service to royal mail, only to be constantly harassed by some ex Tesco manager who doesn't even know what a bag box is and spends their morning gossiping about them to their little clique. I'm stuck here for a good few more years though, but having something else to focus on is a good distraction from the daily dose of RM bullshit. I feel a bit guilty ditching my fellow Posties. Nobody can weather a literal and figurative s**t-storm like these guys and I really hope mr Rico knows, despite the union, these guys don't take much s**t. So hows the weather in Switzerland? 'Coz it looks like a storms a comin.
-
daveyeff
- Posts: 4699
- Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
- Gender: Male
Posties - how do you feel about your job?
I do feel sorry for the younger ones though, cos its going to get a hell of a lot worse than we are now. I think in the years to come we will lose some of our hard fought for conditions, i.e. paid sick leave and breaks, working bank holidays etc. I've got 4 years left til im out, but my young driver is only 20, so effectively he's got a least 47 Christmases to do......I don't envy him. 
-
norris9
- Posts: 2696
- Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
- Gender: Female
Posties - how do you feel about your job?
I'd agree.....if you don't suffer from fatigue, burnout, constant mild pain and you have decent managers and colleagues.daveyeff wrote:if you compare it with other unskilled work it comes on top with flying colours in my view.
-
Your late today
- Posts: 57
- Joined: 09 Oct 2017, 13:37
- Gender: Male
Posties - how do you feel about your job?
I’m 57 and have grown to hate this job more and more in the last 3 years it’s getting me down now and I’ve decided this is going to be my last Christmas, I’ve done my maths and can survive on my early pension and savings.
-
maisymoo04
- Posts: 2226
- Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
- Gender: Male
- Location: You dont want to no
Posties - how do you feel about your job?
BAG BOX ???MarkItZ3r0 wrote:Been in the job 8 years. Loved it at first, as everyone does. Every one of those years gradually got worse though. Constant arguments with managers and driver just to stop them giving me extra work. I'm on a park and loop with one of those guys who thinks they have authority to offload their work onto you just because they get the van keys - wildly misinterpreting key holder position.-
Anywho it's not all doom and gloom, I've been picking up a couple of night classes at my local college, as I have no plans to stay with the company until retirement. Mainly because, it really gets to me seeing the crap some of the long serving guys have to put up with, having wrecked their bodies in service to royal mail, only to be constantly harassed by some ex Tesco manager who doesn't even know what a bag box is and spends their morning gossiping about them to their little clique. I'm stuck here for a good few more years though, but having something else to focus on is a good distraction from the daily dose of RM bullshit. I feel a bit guilty ditching my fellow Posties. Nobody can weather a literal and figurative s**t-storm like these guys and I really hope mr Rico knows, despite the union, these guys don't take much s**t. So hows the weather in Switzerland? 'Coz it looks like a storms a comin.
"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"
-
daveyeff
- Posts: 4699
- Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
- Gender: Male
Posties - how do you feel about your job?
well ive had 2 knee replacements, and just recently had my shoulder done, so yes. its f****d me up. but I can still walk and work ok. can you imagine being in a more physical job though. blokes who dig the roads up, scaffolders, carpet fitters, hod carriers, roofers, plasterers. I saw an ex council worker the other week who used to clear old houses out etc, he was on 2 walking sticks and bent over,... jesus I hope the job never gets that bad.
-
maisymoo04
- Posts: 2226
- Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
- Gender: Male
- Location: You dont want to no
Posties - how do you feel about your job?
SO your saying Norris drivers do f@@@ all and indoor staff ???? 
"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"