ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Is this a glimpse into the future

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
postieblueshirt
Posts: 1241
Joined: 01 Oct 2019, 22:05
Gender: Male

Is this a glimpse into the future

Post by postieblueshirt »

Just had a delivery from a soaked stressed Hermes driver at 9:33pm is this what we have to look forward to? P.s it was eBay not amazon I don't buy from amazon
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Is this a glimpse into the future

Post by k979aaa »

postieblueshirt wrote:Just had a delivery from a soaked stressed Hermes driver at 9:33pm is this what we have to look forward to? P.s it was eBay not amazon I don't buy from amazon
That early they soon will be expecting same day 23:59 arse kicked if it goes to next day and you think 1pm specials are a pain in the arse!
CPTNemoUK
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 707
Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
Gender: Male

Is this a glimpse into the future

Post by CPTNemoUK »

I got my royal mail tracked at 7.15 last night. I was shocked the postie was still smiling :crazy:
masterblaster
Posts: 285
Joined: 10 Sep 2010, 20:12
Gender: Male

Is this a glimpse into the future

Post by masterblaster »

postieblueshirt wrote:Just had a delivery from a soaked stressed Hermes driver at 9:33pm is this what we have to look forward to? P.s it was eBay not amazon I don't buy from amazon
Our local Hermes driver had over 600 parcels the other day - £1 a parcel.
cobrakai
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 320
Joined: 13 Dec 2007, 17:17

Is this a glimpse into the future

Post by cobrakai »

masterblaster wrote:
postieblueshirt wrote:Just had a delivery from a soaked stressed Hermes driver at 9:33pm is this what we have to look forward to? P.s it was eBay not amazon I don't buy from amazon
Our local Hermes driver had over 600 parcels the other day - £1 a parcel.
It can be really lucrative if they get on a round in a city suburb. Don’t let people fool you in to thinking it’s all doom and gloom. We had some lads years ago at our office that did it as a second income in their wives names. When they got a round of next directories was still the flat fee per item but every other house had one. It wasn’t great hours granted
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

Is this a glimpse into the future

Post by daveyeff »

I think they have to get rid of them though, (delivered) if they don't then they don't get paid. ive seen Hermes drivers trying to throw packets through open upstairs windows, over garden fences, under bushes, behind wheels of a car and sometimes even just left outside front doors. one guy tried 11 houses in the estate I do but got no answer at any of them. I had done a couple of streets and he was STILL there trying to get shot of it.
LaggyBand
Posts: 1065
Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
Gender: Male

Is this a glimpse into the future

Post by LaggyBand »

£1 a parcel isn’t as bad as I imagined; £160 a day sounds ok; not as good as RM perks but still not what I thought it’d be
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

Is this a glimpse into the future

Post by daveyeff »

LaggyBand wrote:£1 a parcel isn’t as bad as I imagined; £160 a day sounds ok; not as good as RM perks but still not what I thought it’d be
this guy used his own car so he would have the wear and tear on it plus he would need business insurance. not sure if they get a petrol/diesel allowance or if its in with the packet payment. but he said their T&Cs weren't great.
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

Is this a glimpse into the future

Post by daveyeff »

and what about in the summer when its not very busy. they might only have 40-50 packets a day.
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Is this a glimpse into the future

Post by rambo1 »

masterblaster wrote:
postieblueshirt wrote:Just had a delivery from a soaked stressed Hermes driver at 9:33pm is this what we have to look forward to? P.s it was eBay not amazon I don't buy from amazon
Our local Hermes driver had over 600 parcels the other day - £1 a parcel.
That's impossible. Even at a rate of one delivery every minute, that's 10 hrs straight without a break or loading up. They must be working from 5am till 10pm to get rid of 600 pkts.
Warriorpostie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 118
Joined: 23 Jan 2018, 17:01
Gender: Male

Is this a glimpse into the future

Post by Warriorpostie »

They have to work 6 days a week. No choice. Maybe even sundays at this time of year. I can see royal mail going this road in the future with drivers owning their vehicles etc....
joewyan
Posts: 382
Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
Gender: Male

Is this a glimpse into the future

Post by joewyan »

rambo1 wrote:
masterblaster wrote:
postieblueshirt wrote:Just had a delivery from a soaked stressed Hermes driver at 9:33pm is this what we have to look forward to? P.s it was eBay not amazon I don't buy from amazon
Our local Hermes driver had over 600 parcels the other day - £1 a parcel.
That's impossible. Even at a rate of one delivery every minute, that's 10 hrs straight without a break or loading up. They must be working from 5am till 10pm to get rid of 600 pkts.
No chance can you do 600pkts in a day. I’m very quick and it took me best part of 8 hours delivering to do 230 pkts today.
south London postie
Posts: 127
Joined: 14 Jan 2016, 10:54
Gender: Male

Is this a glimpse into the future

Post by south London postie »

That doesn't mean 600 hundred different addresses.
Ricardo44
Posts: 164
Joined: 15 Dec 2013, 20:34
Gender: Male

Is this a glimpse into the future

Post by Ricardo44 »

I spoke to a Hermes courier. He said he likes it as he can work on his own at his own pace without any hassle. He said the moneys not great and it puts a lot of wear and tear on his car.
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

Is this a glimpse into the future

Post by daveyeff »

south London postie wrote:That doesn't mean 600 hundred different addresses.
exactly, he could've had double, treble, even 4 or 5 packets for quite a few of his drops. I've an address on mine that regularly gets 7 or 8 packets... must've had a big van though.