ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Sick day before 1 years service

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
HailEris
Posts: 1
Joined: 16 Jun 2019, 03:48
Gender: Male

Sick day before 1 years service

Post by HailEris »

Friday, last week, I had my first sick day (Nora virus doing the rounds). Went in at 6.30 after throwing up, copiously. Managed an hour at my frame then went home.

This weeks payslip was minus that day. Management say that's because you can only self certify and get paid after 1 years service.

Can any knowledgeable bods confirm this?
Chupacabra74
Posts: 52
Joined: 08 Jul 2017, 17:15
Gender: Male

Sick day before 1 years service

Post by Chupacabra74 »

HailEris wrote:Friday, last week, I had my first sick day (Nora virus doing the rounds). Went in at 6.30 after throwing up, copiously. Managed an hour at my frame then went home.

This weeks payslip was minus that day. Management say that's because you can only self certify and get paid after 1 years service.

Can any knowledgeable bods confirm this?
You don’t get paid sick pay til after a years service. Not sure about the hour you were there though....
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

Sick day before 1 years service

Post by norris9 »

That's how I understand it.

No sick pay in first year. Not sure why. Kind of surprised with it myself. I would have thought when under contract you would be paid sick pay, legally. But obviously not.
Navalron
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1044
Joined: 12 Aug 2017, 10:40
Gender: Male
Location: Glasgow

Sick day before 1 years service

Post by Navalron »

Chupacabra74 wrote:
HailEris wrote:Friday, last week, I had my first sick day (Nora virus doing the rounds). Went in at 6.30 after throwing up, copiously. Managed an hour at my frame then went home.

This weeks payslip was minus that day. Management say that's because you can only self certify and get paid after 1 years service.

Can any knowledgeable bods confirm this?
You don’t get paid sick pay til after a years service. Not sure about the hour you were there though....

Yes, actually it's 54 weeks. If your off you can claim ssp (statuary sick pay) but as you only had one day off you won't qualify.
Jahpostie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 318
Joined: 23 Aug 2018, 16:17
Gender: Male

Sick day before 1 years service

Post by Jahpostie »

Really stunned by this. I'm full of cold and unlikely to be working tomorrow and it looks like I won't get paid for being sick. It just shows what the company thinks of the workers and also that the union only cares about full timers. An absolute joke. The union should get this sorted.
Smith1212
Posts: 161
Joined: 12 Jul 2018, 13:02
Gender: Male

Sick day before 1 years service

Post by Smith1212 »

Think we’re lucky after a year to get full sick pay for sick months not many company’s do that mind,and it’s hard job but when you pass that year if your full time or part time you get the same Benefit.
Cloudwatcher
Posts: 46
Joined: 08 Aug 2019, 11:05
Gender: Male

Sick day before 1 years service

Post by Cloudwatcher »

Yeah sorry mate but no sick pay in first year of service. I had few days off and same thing got docked pay. I suppose it is there to stop genuine blaggers but not nice if you have to struggle into work when you are still ill. That's life I suppose.