Have any other postie's experienced ingrown toenails? What best to do?
Basically a few weeks ago my big toe got sore (ironically on holiday whilst wearing ill fitting trainers). Back at work the week before last it steadily got worse, unsurprising given our job is to pound the pavements each day. Like a typical bloke I just thought its OK it will get better.
Wednesday it got bad enough that I thought I'd better see the doctor. He said it was an ingrown toenail that was bad enough that it will almost certainly have to be at least partially removed and referred me to a podiatrist. He also gave me a weeks antibiotics. He gave me no advice on whether to go to work or not. So Thursday (yesterday) still went into work as I could still walk OK (to be fair royal mail shoes are very good at protecting toes and wide so not squished) but at end of shift stubbed my toe, very painful and got into car and toe was bloody and not a pretty site. I can barely walk on it today so I had to call in sick.
I am still on probation (started July) and I don't get paid for being off sick so I clearly do not want to be off sick that long.
Has anyone else's ingrown toenail healed without having it removed?
If it is removed will I likely be off work for days/weeks/months?
Any advice useful. Cheers.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Ingrown Toenail
-
Ricardo44
- Posts: 164
- Joined: 15 Dec 2013, 20:34
- Gender: Male
Ingrown Toenail
I have had both my big toe nails removed. About a week off sick should be enough. They take a while to heal properly but as long as you keep the bandages on they will be fine. The podiatrist will supply you with bandages and will arrange follow up appointments for you. They will not heal on their own. Its well worth having it done. Go for it.
-
Dindin
- Posts: 491
- Joined: 29 Jul 2019, 17:19
- Gender: Male
Ingrown Toenail
Bang a York on your foot . The nail will fall off and grow again . Otherwise they will take a proportion of say 3mm off one side of your nail
-
Cloudwatcher
- Posts: 46
- Joined: 08 Aug 2019, 11:05
- Gender: Male
Ingrown Toenail
Cheers. Yeah average time seems to be about a week off and then OK to work again. I'm just awaiting appointment to have it removed now.
-
twoloops
- Posts: 2036
- Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sheffield
Ingrown Toenail
Ask if you can keep your removed nail, put it with your sick note & Christmas card for the DOM, enjoy your Christmas & New Year off 
-
sledge4882
- Posts: 24
- Joined: 03 Feb 2011, 16:16
- Gender: Male
Ingrown Toenail
I would recommend getting a partial nail removed on each toe it hurts you. I had pain for years on and off. As soon as I got it done via a podiatrist, she cured my problem. Make sure you get it done when you have a long or weekend or something so you can rest you feet for a few days after surgery. But I was back walking on my route within a 4-5daysCloudwatcher wrote:Have any other postie's experienced ingrown toenails? What best to do?
Basically a few weeks ago my big toe got sore (ironically on holiday whilst wearing ill fitting trainers). Back at work the week before last it steadily got worse, unsurprising given our job is to pound the pavements each day. Like a typical bloke I just thought its OK it will get better.
Wednesday it got bad enough that I thought I'd better see the doctor. He said it was an ingrown toenail that was bad enough that it will almost certainly have to be at least partially removed and referred me to a podiatrist. He also gave me a weeks antibiotics. He gave me no advice on whether to go to work or not. So Thursday (yesterday) still went into work as I could still walk OK (to be fair royal mail shoes are very good at protecting toes and wide so not squished) but at end of shift stubbed my toe, very painful and got into car and toe was bloody and not a pretty site. I can barely walk on it today so I had to call in sick.
I am still on probation (started July) and I don't get paid for being off sick so I clearly do not want to be off sick that long.
Has anyone else's ingrown toenail healed without having it removed?
If it is removed will I likely be off work for days/weeks/months?
Any advice useful. Cheers.
-
fed_up_postie
- Posts: 154
- Joined: 05 Aug 2007, 12:37
- Gender: Male
- Location: lost in space
Ingrown Toenail
Cut a V in the middle of the nail (not to far down that you cut your toe) this will force the nail to grow back together whilst pulling the nail from the sides, I had to do this around 13 years ago when I was suffering from ingrowing nails on a regular basis and since then I haven't had 1 ingrowing nail