ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Footwear/strapping/gel soles

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

Footwear/strapping/gel soles

Post by norris9 »

Yo guys..

I constantly have pain in my feet area....

1. Achilles Tendon is fine when I am walking with shoes on, but if I don't have them on and I'm walking around the house or down stairs it is painful. Anyone else had this and how did you resolve this? do I need to strap it up?


2. The boney parts of the base of my feet, the heel and metatarsal areas, these are painful to walk on bare footed, but I do also feel pain when wearing shoes out on the round. I assume this pain is caused by the constant pounding against the ground. It feels as if the bones are bruised. I have RM shoes with gel pad insoles. Do I need to start looking for my own pair of shoes or maybe even buy some sort of gel strapping?
Did a quick google and it sounds like this is called: metatarsalgia


I bet most Posties here just wear ordinary socks, maybe have gel insoles and obviously shoes..... Maybe I feel it worse more than most. Do any of you go further and double up your gel insoles? refuse to wear RM shoes and have a wonderful pair of so and so brand? strap your feet or ankles up? or maybe you have the foot pain like me but just tolerate it?
Trail
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 162
Joined: 01 Dec 2016, 19:54
Gender: Male

Footwear/strapping/gel soles

Post by Trail »

norris9 wrote:Yo guys..

I constantly have pain in my feet area....

1. Achilles Tendon is fine when I am walking with shoes on, but if I don't have them on and I'm walking around the house or down stairs it is painful. Anyone else had this and how did you resolve this? do I need to strap it up?


2. The boney parts of the base of my feet, the heel and metatarsal areas, these are painful to walk on bare footed, but I do also feel pain when wearing shoes out on the round. I assume this pain is caused by the constant pounding against the ground. It feels as if the bones are bruised. I have RM shoes with gel pad insoles. Do I need to start looking for my own pair of shoes or maybe even buy some sort of gel strapping?
Did a quick google and it sounds like this is called: metatarsalgia


I bet most Posties here just wear ordinary socks, maybe have gel insoles and obviously shoes..... Maybe I feel it worse more than most. Do any of you go further and double up your gel insoles? refuse to wear RM shoes and have a wonderful pair of so and so brand? strap your feet or ankles up? or maybe you have the foot pain like me but just tolerate it?
You're pretty much doing a half marathon each day for 5/6 days a week. Can you imagine being told to wear Magnum or CATs or those other horrendous trainers RM give you for 13+miles a day?

No. I'm prepared to stomach £50 each six months to walk around in Nike trainers (running shoes), and if RM management pick you up on this tell them to try having a pop at doing a week or three in their s**t shoes. Saucony or NB are always worth a look too.

As for insoles, no, never worn them. Socks, no if I've got shorts on, if I'm wearing RM trousers then any socks are fine, the thinner the better.

I've never had any problems with my feet or knees, legs, anything, and I'm closer to 40 than 30.
woody38
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 273
Joined: 19 Apr 2016, 08:38
Gender: Male

Footwear/strapping/gel soles

Post by woody38 »

U wait to u get into your 50s. I was fine till I reached my 50s
CPTNemoUK
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 707
Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
Gender: Male

Footwear/strapping/gel soles

Post by CPTNemoUK »

I've got plantar fibroma in both my feet. Royal mail shoes are killing me so started wearing my own boots. They are better but the damage is already done so still in pain while walking. At the hospital on Wednesday so hopefully I can get them sorted.
Maxwell1979
Posts: 16
Joined: 30 Jan 2018, 17:43
Gender: Male

Footwear/strapping/gel soles

Post by Maxwell1979 »

I use memory foam insoles from ebay haven't had a twinge since I started using these!!
Ali831
Posts: 268
Joined: 26 Aug 2019, 16:03
Gender: Female

Footwear/strapping/gel soles

Post by Ali831 »

Started with merrells until the RM issued flexi trainers arrived. Tried to break them in gradually, calves ached, Achilles ached, back ached. Used padded trainer socks which are great & still use them. Flexi trainers still uncomfortable. Purchased a £20 pair of shock absorber insoles they made a big difference but still couldn't cope with the RM shoes. Went back to merrells all the aches disappeared. Replaced worn out merrells with a pair of curlew from mountain warehouse 2 weeks ago which are going back to the shop for a refund. utter rubbish hole in both heels already & only actually used them for about 9 days, 13 miles a day approx. When pressing their sole the tread is actually hollow so no wonder they have worn straight through. I now know to check all future soles before buying them. Got some sketchers now to try.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Footwear/strapping/gel soles

Post by Dorset Plodder »

This subject is a regular favourite. I'm not complaining, it's what a Discussion Forum is all about. Better than discussing some "What if Royal Mail ...." Future Doom & Gloom scenario. :pray

However I find it very disappointing that RM pay so little attention to something that obviously causes so much pain, and discomfort, to so many of it's staff. :no no It's a pity there's not one of these Footwear Manufacturers that could use us as a Trial Group to develop New Footwear. Nowadays we're probably covering more mileage Daily than your average Soldier. :hmmmm I feel a lot of Outdoor Retailers just deal in "Trekking Chic", which is totally Un-Fit for purpose most of the time. Their stuff looks good when you're strolling through the Shopping Precinct, but it's Bugger All good when you're out and about in Bad Weather (A bit like a lot of our Uniform ... Remember those Artist's Impressions of our New RED Uniforms :crazy: )

Conclusion:

1) Most people with Major Feet/Knee/Hip problems appear to Favour their own Footwear (which they obviously have to pay for).

2)The Majority that do this seem to be aware they can get Re-Inbursed by RM for their Footwear (But need a Doctor's Letter).

3)The ammount that actually get this money back varies, depending on how Un-Informed, or Un-Helpful, their DOM is.

4)The Majority of Posties seem to feel that the choice of Footwear is Shite! :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
transporter03
Posts: 34
Joined: 03 Oct 2017, 18:24
Gender: Male

Footwear/strapping/gel soles

Post by transporter03 »

Whilst we are on the general subject of foot problems has anyone else suffered with hammer/claw toe?.
I'm waiting on some insoles to be made (NHS) which hopefully will relieve some of the pain in the ball area of each foot due to the hammer toe.
Not sure whether to go down the surgery route to have the offending to straightened though. Any advice appreciated.
The footwear situation drives me up the wall. Insufficient reimbursement if you buy your own which always seems difficult to obtain.
Trying to get a new pair if you have gone over your allocation. Managers promising they will get them for you and then being left walking around in unsafe footwear.
So much for health + safety !. The list goes on.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Footwear/strapping/gel soles

Post by k979aaa »

transporter03 wrote:Whilst we are on the general subject of foot problems has anyone else suffered with hammer/claw toe?.
I'm waiting on some insoles to be made (NHS) which hopefully will relieve some of the pain in the ball area of each foot due to the hammer toe.
Not sure whether to go down the surgery route to have the offending to straightened though. Any advice appreciated.
The footwear situation drives me up the wall. Insufficient reimbursement if you buy your own which always seems difficult to obtain.
Trying to get a new pair if you have gone over your allocation. Managers promising they will get them for you and then being left walking around in unsafe footwear.
So much for health + safety !. The list goes on.
Put it writing and get the managers to order it if not they will hang themselves high esp with shoes and PPE it is yours as well as them to make sure that the stuff you use is fit for use and if not refuse to do so if it is not!
CPTNemoUK
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 707
Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
Gender: Male

Footwear/strapping/gel soles

Post by CPTNemoUK »

Well just been to the hospital with my plantar fibroma. He took one look at it and told me that I need them removing. That will cheer the managers up tomorrow. I hope the date is before Christmas :nana. Will end up on a stage 2 though :crazy:
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Footwear/strapping/gel soles

Post by Dorset Plodder »

CPTNemoUK wrote:Well just been to the hospital with my plantar fibroma. He took one look at it and told me that I need them removing. That will cheer the managers up tomorrow. I hope the date is before Christmas :nana. Will end up on a stage 2 though :crazy:
What are they planning on removing? I suffered from Plantars some time ago and thought it was a Tendon Running under the foot? Are they intending to remove them? Sounds a bit drastic .... Hope it alll works out mate. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

Footwear/strapping/gel soles

Post by norris9 »

CPTNemoUK wrote:Well just been to the hospital with my plantar fibroma. He took one look at it and told me that I need them removing. That will cheer the managers up tomorrow. I hope the date is before Christmas :nana. Will end up on a stage 2 though :crazy:
You're having your feet amputated?
crimson king
Posts: 783
Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
Gender: Male

Footwear/strapping/gel soles

Post by crimson king »

norris9 wrote:
CPTNemoUK wrote:Well just been to the hospital with my plantar fibroma. He took one look at it and told me that I need them removing. That will cheer the managers up tomorrow. I hope the date is before Christmas :nana. Will end up on a stage 2 though :crazy:
You're having your feet amputated?
Well, let's all hope the Doc was talking about his feet and not looking a little further up.... :speak to the hand
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
CPTNemoUK
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 707
Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
Gender: Male

Footwear/strapping/gel soles

Post by CPTNemoUK »

norris9 wrote:
CPTNemoUK wrote:Well just been to the hospital with my plantar fibroma. He took one look at it and told me that I need them removing. That will cheer the managers up tomorrow. I hope the date is before Christmas :nana. Will end up on a stage 2 though :crazy:
You're having your feet amputated?
:Very Happy :Very Happy no just the lumps I should of said that in the original post :left:
Hitcher
Posts: 1532
Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 09:59
Gender: Male

Footwear/strapping/gel soles

Post by Hitcher »

Dorset Plodder wrote:2)The Majority that do this seem to be aware they can get Re-Inbursed by RM for their Footwear (But need a Doctor's Letter).
Not completely true anymore as the shoes you buy have to be a certain ISO standard or you won't get reimbursed.

And even if you still wear your own shoes managers will use it against you if you have an accident at work by threatening to conduct code you if you want to report it.