ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Osteoarthritis in knees - Advice Needed

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
sirchewey
Posts: 99
Joined: 07 Dec 2012, 00:19
Gender: Male

Osteoarthritis in knees - Advice Needed

Post by sirchewey »

Hi All,

I'm in my mid 30's. About a month ago I was diagnosed with Osteoarthritis in both my knees. :Boo hoo! After some Xrays and a few visits to the doctors she advised me to try and make some changes. My manager has been understanding so far and will be taking me off my current shared van duty and put onto a reserve for the rural deliveries in order to cut the wear and tear to my joints (a recommendation from my doc).

The advice I need is on what else should RM provide in order to help me out regarding both ongoing physical and financial support?...

I have read on these forums that RM sees this condition as a disability and so can qualify for full footwear reimbursement under the equalities act. I currently wear my own footwear, however, as I require good cushioning and ankle support, my current expenses stand at about £300-400 a year which is way above the £34 every 6 months. After going through loads of pairs of boots over the years, the cushioning lasts about 6-8 weeks (300-400 miles) even on the highest quality footwear before it starts to have an increased impact on the pain in my knees. Having the resource to buy footwear when I require it rather than walking through the pain of worn out boots would have a huge impact on my working life.

If RM recognise arthritis as a disability, would this not give me the benefit of using sick leave when I have bad flare ups without it incurring any conduct stage issues? I always worry about my sickness, not that I hardly take any but would worry about my job if I needed the occasional period to get over any flare ups in my knees etc.

Any advice from people in the know would be gratefully received.

Many thanks :thumbup
Trail
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 162
Joined: 01 Dec 2016, 19:54
Gender: Male

Osteoarthritis in knees - Advice Needed

Post by Trail »

sirchewey wrote:Hi All,

I'm in my mid 30's. About a month ago I was diagnosed with Osteoarthritis in both my knees. :Boo hoo! After some Xrays and a few visits to the doctors she advised me to try and make some changes. My manager has been understanding so far and will be taking me off my current shared van duty and put onto a reserve for the rural deliveries in order to cut the wear and tear to my joints (a recommendation from my doc).

The advice I need is on what else should RM provide in order to help me out regarding both ongoing physical and financial support?...

I have read on these forums that RM sees this condition as a disability and so can qualify for full footwear reimbursement under the equalities act. I currently wear my own footwear, however, as I require good cushioning and ankle support, my current expenses stand at about £300-400 a year which is way above the £34 every 6 months. After going through loads of pairs of boots over the years, the cushioning lasts about 6-8 weeks (300-400 miles) even on the highest quality footwear before it starts to have an increased impact on the pain in my knees. Having the resource to buy footwear when I require it rather than walking through the pain of worn out boots would have a huge impact on my working life.

If RM recognise arthritis as a disability, would this not give me the benefit of using sick leave when I have bad flare ups without it incurring any conduct stage issues? I always worry about my sickness, not that I hardly take any but would worry about my job if I needed the occasional period to get over any flare ups in my knees etc.

Any advice from people in the know would be gratefully received.

Many thanks :thumbup
Don't wear any RM footwear.

Magnum are horrendous, CAT are awful and heavy, RM trainers aren't trainers they're all-purpose shoes which are nearly as bad as Magnum.

Save yourself some stress and buy yourself some decent Nike running shoes. You'll be looking at £50, it'll be worth every cent.

As for your knees, keep in touch with your doctor, don't run your guts out.
sirchewey
Posts: 99
Joined: 07 Dec 2012, 00:19
Gender: Male

Osteoarthritis in knees - Advice Needed

Post by sirchewey »

Trail wrote:
Don't wear any RM footwear.

Magnum are horrendous, CAT are awful and heavy, RM trainers aren't trainers they're all-purpose shoes which are nearly as bad as Magnum.

Save yourself some stress and buy yourself some decent Nike running shoes. You'll be looking at £50, it'll be worth every cent.

As for your knees, keep in touch with your doctor, don't run your guts out.
I don't wear RM footwear, I recently tried the new Magnum Bandera(sp), after half a day I had knee and hip pain even with my decent insoles in them. I have gone back to my usual £90 Merrell boots again. Just a crippling expense every 2-3 months just to be able to do my job like everyone else on free shoes seeing as my doc recons it's the wear and tear of the job that's caused my OA.
Dazsw
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 28
Joined: 17 Feb 2013, 17:36
Gender: Male

Osteoarthritis in knees - Advice Needed

Post by Dazsw »

I left Royal Mail 18 months ago due to this in my left knee.

My advice, seek another job, this damage is not repairable and will only worsen, your health is the most important thing.

I'm 38 so like you hopefully have lots of life left to live, Royal Mail will destroy the knees.
Rumple
Posts: 429
Joined: 20 Nov 2013, 10:45
Gender: Male

Osteoarthritis in knees - Advice Needed

Post by Rumple »

Reimbursement on footwear... A few months ago I handed in a letter from my doctor to say I should wear my own footwear. My line manager said when I hand in my receipt for the footwear I purchase I will be reimbursed. Is this right?
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

Osteoarthritis in knees - Advice Needed

Post by wacko74 »

If you're now permanently on rurals then the amount of walking should be drastically reduced and you should feel a huge improvement in your knees, also the reduced walking should mean your shoes last a lot longer so you should no longer have the expense of replacing them every 2-3 months.

Personally I feel that the adjustments RM have made (putting you on rurals) are reasonable and sufficient and you shouldn't be entitled to additional sick leave, additional footwear allowance etc as well... and instead should perhaps be looking for another job if your're still not satisfied.
Trail
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 162
Joined: 01 Dec 2016, 19:54
Gender: Male

Osteoarthritis in knees - Advice Needed

Post by Trail »

sirchewey wrote:
Trail wrote:
Don't wear any RM footwear.

Magnum are horrendous, CAT are awful and heavy, RM trainers aren't trainers they're all-purpose shoes which are nearly as bad as Magnum.

Save yourself some stress and buy yourself some decent Nike running shoes. You'll be looking at £50, it'll be worth every cent.

As for your knees, keep in touch with your doctor, don't run your guts out.
I don't wear RM footwear, I recently tried the new Magnum Bandera(sp), after half a day I had knee and hip pain even with my decent insoles in them. I have gone back to my usual £90 Merrell boots again. Just a crippling expense every 2-3 months just to be able to do my job like everyone else on free shoes seeing as my doc recons it's the wear and tear of the job that's caused my OA.
With all due respect to you my good friend, I'd be reluctant to throw £90 at some shoes that only last three months. I use Nike Revolution 3 and I get six months bottom line out of them, £30 if you go to the right places. I clocked 13 miles a day also on my duty.
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Osteoarthritis in knees - Advice Needed

Post by aiden01 »

Rumple wrote:Reimbursement on footwear... A few months ago I handed in a letter from my doctor to say I should wear my own footwear. My line manager said when I hand in my receipt for the footwear I purchase I will be reimbursed. Is this right?
Yes you get up to £34
261184
Posts: 17
Joined: 16 Nov 2017, 19:05
Gender: Male

Osteoarthritis in knees - Advice Needed

Post by 261184 »

Yes Rumpole....My Manager asked me why I wasn’t wearing RM Trainers/shoes.I was told I had to get a Dr’s note which I subsequently did.I then bought a new pair of walking shoes, handed in the receipt & got paid via payroll. The thing was I was buying my own footwear for some time (years) out of my own pocket but because they got funny with me I thought right they’re going to pay now because you’ve inconvenienced me.I had a Dr’s note from years before but they’d lost it!!..As has been said before I think it’s up to £34 every 6 months
Pharox
Posts: 151
Joined: 23 Jun 2011, 16:18
Gender: Male

Osteoarthritis in knees - Advice Needed

Post by Pharox »

I know how you feel, I've got OA in both my knees too. It was made worse walking up and down tenements in Glasgow, but since I transferred to a different office, got a singleton duty, my knees are 'okey' not great, but ok. Taking Naproxen, getting physio and taking the weight of my shoulder by making my loops a lot smaller, has helped too. I personally have no issues with Magnums boots, I find them good, seems like the only person who has. Taking my time, no short cuts, meal breaks and working to my time is the way to go.
miles_peters
Posts: 298
Joined: 19 Jul 2014, 12:29
Gender: Male

Osteoarthritis in knees - Advice Needed

Post by miles_peters »

Trail wrote:
sirchewey wrote:
Trail wrote:
Don't wear any RM footwear.

Magnum are horrendous, CAT are awful and heavy, RM trainers aren't trainers they're all-purpose shoes which are nearly as bad as Magnum.

Save yourself some stress and buy yourself some decent Nike running shoes. You'll be looking at £50, it'll be worth every cent.

As for your knees, keep in touch with your doctor, don't run your guts out.
I don't wear RM footwear, I recently tried the new Magnum Bandera(sp), after half a day I had knee and hip pain even with my decent insoles in them. I have gone back to my usual £90 Merrell boots again. Just a crippling expense every 2-3 months just to be able to do my job like everyone else on free shoes seeing as my doc recons it's the wear and tear of the job that's caused my OA.
With all due respect to you my good friend, I'd be reluctant to throw £90 at some shoes that only last three months. I use Nike Revolution 3 and I get six months bottom line out of them, £30 if you go to the right places. I clocked 13 miles a day also on my duty.
your feet must get drenched to the skin wearing those Nike Revolution 3's when its pissing down
Trail
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 162
Joined: 01 Dec 2016, 19:54
Gender: Male

Osteoarthritis in knees - Advice Needed

Post by Trail »

miles_peters wrote:
Trail wrote:
sirchewey wrote:
Trail wrote:
Don't wear any RM footwear.

Magnum are horrendous, CAT are awful and heavy, RM trainers aren't trainers they're all-purpose shoes which are nearly as bad as Magnum.

Save yourself some stress and buy yourself some decent Nike running shoes. You'll be looking at £50, it'll be worth every cent.

As for your knees, keep in touch with your doctor, don't run your guts out.
I don't wear RM footwear, I recently tried the new Magnum Bandera(sp), after half a day I had knee and hip pain even with my decent insoles in them. I have gone back to my usual £90 Merrell boots again. Just a crippling expense every 2-3 months just to be able to do my job like everyone else on free shoes seeing as my doc recons it's the wear and tear of the job that's caused my OA.
With all due respect to you my good friend, I'd be reluctant to throw £90 at some shoes that only last three months. I use Nike Revolution 3 and I get six months bottom line out of them, £30 if you go to the right places. I clocked 13 miles a day also on my duty.
your feet must get drenched to the skin wearing those Nike Revolution 3's when its pissing down
Yes, so does my t-shirt and my shorts and my trousers. But we dry.

I won't wear any RM shoes.
miles_peters
Posts: 298
Joined: 19 Jul 2014, 12:29
Gender: Male

Osteoarthritis in knees - Advice Needed

Post by miles_peters »

Trail wrote:
miles_peters wrote:
Trail wrote:
sirchewey wrote:
Trail wrote:
Don't wear any RM footwear.

Magnum are horrendous, CAT are awful and heavy, RM trainers aren't trainers they're all-purpose shoes which are nearly as bad as Magnum.

Save yourself some stress and buy yourself some decent Nike running shoes. You'll be looking at £50, it'll be worth every cent.

As for your knees, keep in touch with your doctor, don't run your guts out.
I don't wear RM footwear, I recently tried the new Magnum Bandera(sp), after half a day I had knee and hip pain even with my decent insoles in them. I have gone back to my usual £90 Merrell boots again. Just a crippling expense every 2-3 months just to be able to do my job like everyone else on free shoes seeing as my doc recons it's the wear and tear of the job that's caused my OA.
With all due respect to you my good friend, I'd be reluctant to throw £90 at some shoes that only last three months. I use Nike Revolution 3 and I get six months bottom line out of them, £30 if you go to the right places. I clocked 13 miles a day also on my duty.
your feet must get drenched to the skin wearing those Nike Revolution 3's when its pissing down
Yes, so does my t-shirt and my shorts and my trousers. But we dry.

I won't wear any RM shoes.
each to their own...
sirchewey
Posts: 99
Joined: 07 Dec 2012, 00:19
Gender: Male

Osteoarthritis in knees - Advice Needed

Post by sirchewey »

Trail wrote:
miles_peters wrote:
Trail wrote:
sirchewey wrote:
Trail wrote:
Don't wear any RM footwear.

Magnum are horrendous, CAT are awful and heavy, RM trainers aren't trainers they're all-purpose shoes which are nearly as bad as Magnum.

Save yourself some stress and buy yourself some decent Nike running shoes. You'll be looking at £50, it'll be worth every cent.

As for your knees, keep in touch with your doctor, don't run your guts out.
I don't wear RM footwear, I recently tried the new Magnum Bandera(sp), after half a day I had knee and hip pain even with my decent insoles in them. I have gone back to my usual £90 Merrell boots again. Just a crippling expense every 2-3 months just to be able to do my job like everyone else on free shoes seeing as my doc recons it's the wear and tear of the job that's caused my OA.
With all due respect to you my good friend, I'd be reluctant to throw £90 at some shoes that only last three months. I use Nike Revolution 3 and I get six months bottom line out of them, £30 if you go to the right places. I clocked 13 miles a day also on my duty.
your feet must get drenched to the skin wearing those Nike Revolution 3's when its pissing down
Yes, so does my t-shirt and my shorts and my trousers. But we dry.

I won't wear any RM shoes.
It's true - £90 is a lot of money. If I'm lucky I manage to get some in the sale for around £60-70 but they do however work for my needs. I need a boot for better foot and ankle support with good cushioning throughout the whole sole, something that is waterproof as if I get cold wet feet, they f*ck up too. I can't wear trainers for all these reasons - I wish I could, would be a hell of a lot cheaper.

I ended up having to wear my own shoes (not due to my OA) due to wearing the RM shoes which over several years managed to cause a misalignment of my hips which then resulted in 18mths at the podiatrist (visits every 4wks) to try and correct some very painful issues. Was like having a knife poked into my hip joints and twisted on every step. Since then (4 years) I have quite bad under-pronation in both feet which results in accelerated wear in footwear and if I'm honest the hip issues resulting from wearing RM footwear has probably contributed to my OA.

I'm not one for moaning about issues like this, we all feel the burn every now and then, I just ignored some of the early warning signs so if someone is experiencing any hip issues I advise they get it sorted out before they end up worse off down the line. Take my word for it, it's not fun.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Osteoarthritis in knees - Advice Needed

Post by Dorset Plodder »

I think RM could probably look at the Attendance Procedure ... with reference to OA. Sometimes just having a week off would be enough, but you've got that doubt in your mind about, "Will my Knees be OK, or will I go back too early , need more time off, and trigger another Period of Sicknes". So your DO will probably lose you for 3 weeks instead. :hmmmm IMO OA is an Industrial Injury ... caused by your job, and should be treated accordingly. We'd didn't have half these problems when we still used Bikes. :no no

Has anyone managed to get FREE treatment from a physio, under the NHS? The last time my Doctor just gave me a Self Referral Form, with the impression that I'd have to pay for it. :hmmmm She made me laugh, she said, "It looks like you're not walking properly, your toes point outwards ... they should point forwards .... A physio should be able to teach you to walk properly". :shock: I replied, "I'm nearly 60 years old .... I think it's a bit late to teach me to walk Doc"! :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)