ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Can manager move me permanently from my own duty?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Pancake123
Posts: 34
Joined: 06 Nov 2018, 06:58
Gender: Female

Can manager move me permanently from my own duty?

Post by Pancake123 »

Just a quick question : Can manager move me permanently from my own duty to another one? He has no reason to move me,he just want to put one of the runners (because my van partner isnt the fastest person in managers eyes).He offered me another walks ( same hours,swapping with someone ) but I dont like it,and I dont want to be moved.What can I do ? Is there any agreement saying he is not allowed to move me? I am less than 6 months on duty.
Trail
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 162
Joined: 01 Dec 2016, 19:54
Gender: Male

Can manager move me permanently from my own duty?

Post by Trail »

Pancake123 wrote:Just a quick question : Can manager move me permanently from my own duty to another one? He has no reason to move me,he just want to put one of the runners (because my van partner isnt the fastest person in managers eyes).He offered me another walks ( same hours,swapping with someone ) but I dont like it,and I dont want to be moved.What can I do ? Is there any agreement saying he is not allowed to move me? I am less than 6 months on duty.
Union job. If it's your duty, it's your duty.
Trail
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 162
Joined: 01 Dec 2016, 19:54
Gender: Male

Can manager move me permanently from my own duty?

Post by Trail »

double post
redneck
Posts: 788
Joined: 04 Jan 2010, 20:28
Gender: Male

Can manager move me permanently from my own duty?

Post by redneck »

You need to put in a grievance, this is a different process now involving a face to face meeting (accompanied) with the manager concerned, then if no agreement the DOM, then if no agreement outside officials and DSM
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Can manager move me permanently from my own duty?

Post by Celgar »

They can move you for operational reasons as they call it at any time.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
woody38
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 273
Joined: 19 Apr 2016, 08:38
Gender: Male

Can manager move me permanently from my own duty?

Post by woody38 »

Depends if u have signed for the job
mattjo1@talktalk.net
Posts: 93
Joined: 20 Jun 2014, 21:11
Gender: Male

Can manager move me permanently from my own duty?

Post by mattjo1@talktalk.net »

Makes no difference if you have signed for a duty. You are paid between certain times and you can be asked to preform any work.
Trail
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 162
Joined: 01 Dec 2016, 19:54
Gender: Male

Can manager move me permanently from my own duty?

Post by Trail »

mattjo1@talktalk.net wrote:Makes no difference if you have signed for a duty. You are paid between certain times and you can be asked to preform any work.
I used to work with a bloke who was either second or third seniority in the office (obviously because he'd been there for so long). He only covered one town, but the town had five different duties, had his own duty and had had for years, but he got shifted around the town at the drop of a hat. It used to drive him and his work partner crazy. 30 years of service and he's still getting shifted from pillar to post.
awesomepenguin
Posts: 122
Joined: 14 Sep 2016, 20:14
Gender: Male

Can manager move me permanently from my own duty?

Post by awesomepenguin »

Royal Mail can ask you to perform any task as long as it's reasonable and you have the adequate training. All this "it's my duty etc" is utter nonesense.
mags999
Posts: 372
Joined: 25 Jun 2016, 11:05
Gender: Male

Can manager move me permanently from my own duty?

Post by mags999 »

a few rsoles impersonating managers on this thread I fear .lm a 30 year plus postie and if I was yanked off my duty I would kick off big time and expect serious backing of union and fellow workers to many 5 year or less workers winging there tits off at getting moved around.we have all done the crap early doors we new the score then but didn't winge about it as much about then as they do now in my opinion at the end of the day seniority is all we have got in this job .
mattjo1@talktalk.net
Posts: 93
Joined: 20 Jun 2014, 21:11
Gender: Male

Can manager move me permanently from my own duty?

Post by mattjo1@talktalk.net »

mags999 wrote:a few rsoles impersonating managers on this thread I fear .lm a 30 year plus postie and if I was yanked off my duty I would kick off big time and expect serious backing of union and fellow workers to many 5 year or less workers winging there tits off at getting moved around.we have all done the crap early doors we new the score then but didn't winge about it as much about then as they do now in my opinion at the end of the day seniority is all we have got in this job .
Load of crap above anyone can be moved onto any duty if they have had the training. You can throw your dummy out of the pram but you will still be wrong.
Bahia Feliz
Posts: 1169
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
Gender: Male

Can manager move me permanently from my own duty?

Post by Bahia Feliz »

mattjo1@talktalk.net wrote:
mags999 wrote:a few rsoles impersonating managers on this thread I fear .lm a 30 year plus postie and if I was yanked off my duty I would kick off big time and expect serious backing of union and fellow workers to many 5 year or less workers winging there tits off at getting moved around.we have all done the crap early doors we new the score then but didn't winge about it as much about then as they do now in my opinion at the end of the day seniority is all we have got in this job .
Load of crap above anyone can be moved onto any duty if they have had the training. You can throw your dummy out of the pram but you will still be wrong.
They've tried to get rid of seniority for years but they haven't done it yet you troll mattjo1 :nana
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12194
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Can manager move me permanently from my own duty?

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Bahia Feliz wrote:
mattjo1@talktalk.net wrote:
mags999 wrote:a few rsoles impersonating managers on this thread I fear .lm a 30 year plus postie and if I was yanked off my duty I would kick off big time and expect serious backing of union and fellow workers to many 5 year or less workers winging there tits off at getting moved around.we have all done the crap early doors we new the score then but didn't winge about it as much about then as they do now in my opinion at the end of the day seniority is all we have got in this job .
Load of crap above anyone can be moved onto any duty if they have had the training. You can throw your dummy out of the pram but you will still be wrong.
They've tried to get rid of seniority for years but they haven't done it yet you troll mattjo1 :nana
Provided there's no medical issues and someone has had the training they can put you on any duty or section at any time. I guess that you've never looked at your 318, everyone's 318 has a line that reads something like "or as directed".

I don't think it'll be too long anyway before there's no fixed walks, once more packet sorting machines come online, combined with mech mail there's probably enough data to dynamically generate walks each day
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Can manager move me permanently from my own duty?

Post by Postie45 »

SpacePhoenix wrote:
I don't think it'll be too long anyway before there's no fixed walks, once more packet sorting machines come online, combined with mech mail there's probably enough data to dynamically generate walks each day
I think theyd be silly to eliminate fixed walks completely, theres always an advantage to knowing an area. But i think youre right about dynamic walks each day, I think itll show you do your whole duty plus or minus a certain amount depending on traffic.
In the end you may as well sign for duties that are in nicer areas as we`ll all be likely working every hour by that stage.
Bahia Feliz
Posts: 1169
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
Gender: Male

Can manager move me permanently from my own duty?

Post by Bahia Feliz »

Postie45 wrote: we`ll all be likely working every hour by that stage.
Some of us do already :shock: