ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Vauxhall Combos

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Jeppol
Posts: 50
Joined: 06 Sep 2011, 15:20
Gender: Male

Vauxhall Combos

Post by Jeppol »

Does anybody know if and when Royal Mail are getting rid of the Combos. I'm a big fella, 6 foot and 17 stone + & it's an effort getting out of them 80+ times a day with their low seats.I'm starting to have knee problems which will only get worse whilst I'm using this van. I had a Transit Connect previously which was a million times better with it's high seats.
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Vauxhall Combos

Post by rambo1 »

Jeppol wrote:Does anybody know if and when Royal Mail are getting rid of the Combos. I'm a big fella, 6 foot and 17 stone + & it's an effort getting out of them 80+ times a day with their low seats.I'm starting to have knee problems which will only get worse whilst I'm using this van. I had a Transit Connect previously which was a million times better with it's high seats.
I have exactly the same problems being tall , they are so low to get in and out of if you're on a rural getting in and out like you said, 80plus times. Have you got any Peugeot partners at your office, maybe you could swop if you ask and explain the knee pain you're getting. Itd be better for the manager than you going off with damaged knees.
Bahia Feliz
Posts: 1169
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
Gender: Male

Vauxhall Combos

Post by Bahia Feliz »

I'm under 6ft love my combo,got good poke on it for getting out in traffic etc,It's done over 100k miles and best of all the 'trimble' box is broken (not that I speed or anything anyway)
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12194
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Vauxhall Combos

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Best guess is that the leases on them might be expiring and RM might have got a different model and/or make on lease at a cheaper rate
leolion855
Posts: 641
Joined: 11 Jun 2018, 17:41
Gender: Male

Vauxhall Combos

Post by leolion855 »

Be careful what you wish for, All ours have gone and replaced with Doblos which keep needing attention..
itinerant
Posts: 156
Joined: 16 Sep 2017, 17:54
Gender: Male

Vauxhall Combos

Post by itinerant »

leolion855 wrote:Be careful what you wish for, All ours have gone and replaced with Doblos which keep needing attention..
This! We have a few Fiat Doblos and the DPF Regeneration light comes on frequently so you have to lift the bonnet and initiate the DPF process and wait for 10 mins while it clears. It always seems to happen on a busy day too :arrrghhh Don't have the same problem with the Peugeots or Vauxhalls.
yellowbelly
Posts: 3728
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

Vauxhall Combos

Post by yellowbelly »

itinerant wrote:
leolion855 wrote:Be careful what you wish for, All ours have gone and replaced with Doblos which keep needing attention..
This! We have a few Fiat Doblos and the DPF Regeneration light comes on frequently so you have to lift the bonnet and initiate the DPF process and wait for 10 mins while it clears. It always seems to happen on a busy day too :arrrghhh Don't have the same problem with the Peugeots or Vauxhalls.
I'd rather have to sit around getting paid while the Doblo needs PDF regenerating than literally climbing up and out of the combos
knackering myself up......
CharlesSpooner
Posts: 383
Joined: 20 Jul 2011, 15:22
Gender: Male

Vauxhall Combos

Post by CharlesSpooner »

yellowbelly wrote:
itinerant wrote:
leolion855 wrote:Be careful what you wish for, All ours have gone and replaced with Doblos which keep needing attention..
This! We have a few Fiat Doblos and the DPF Regeneration light comes on frequently so you have to lift the bonnet and initiate the DPF process and wait for 10 mins while it clears. It always seems to happen on a busy day too :arrrghhh Don't have the same problem with the Peugeots or Vauxhalls.
I'd rather have to sit around getting paid while the Doblo needs PDF regenerating than literally climbing up and out of the combos
knackering myself up......
The Doblos are terrible for getting in and out of as well.
Cluaran
Posts: 97
Joined: 03 Aug 2019, 23:23
Gender: Male

Vauxhall Combos

Post by Cluaran »

Doblos have the turning circle of a Bus!!!
redneck
Posts: 788
Joined: 04 Jan 2010, 20:28
Gender: Male

Vauxhall Combos

Post by redneck »

Are s**t
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Vauxhall Combos

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Jeppol wrote:Does anybody know if and when Royal Mail are getting rid of the Combos. I'm a big fella, 6 foot and 17 stone + & it's an effort getting out of them 80+ times a day with their low seats.I'm starting to have knee problems which will only get worse whilst I'm using this van. I had a Transit Connect previously which was a million times better with it's high seats.
I feel your pain Jeppol :sad: I'm only a short arse and they used to do my right knee and crutch in ... getting in and out 50 plus times a day. :Boo hoo! It's a H&S problem. We had one 6foot 5in guy who was Medically Retired because he'd screwed his back up, didn't bother RM they just someone else in but he's buggered for life. :no no

Another Tall guy has been given a transit Van because he was having the same problem. I'd get the Area H&S Rep on board and push for a different van. You only get one back ... and it's got to last you for life ... Sod what RM say. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
bo72
Posts: 35
Joined: 21 Feb 2012, 15:39
Gender: Male

Vauxhall Combos

Post by bo72 »

A manager told me about this time last year they would all be gone by April this year.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Vauxhall Combos

Post by Dorset Plodder »

bo72 wrote:A manager told me about this time last year they would all be gone by April this year.
Ha Ha "They'll all be gone by Christmas" Yeah but Which Christmas? :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
maisymoo04
Posts: 2226
Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
Gender: Male
Location: You dont want to no

Vauxhall Combos

Post by maisymoo04 »

Jeppol wrote:Does anybody know if and when Royal Mail are getting rid of the Combos. I'm a big fella, 6 foot and 17 stone + & it's an effort getting out of them 80+ times a day with their low seats.I'm starting to have knee problems which will only get worse whilst I'm using this van. I had a Transit Connect previously which was a million times better with it's high seats.
I have a expert if anyone wants to swap :chuckle :chuckle
"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Vauxhall Combos

Post by Seymour Buts »

I'm a short arse (5"8) and I love the combos. All in our fleet are years older than the Fiats, Vauxhalls or Peugeots and run far better. They shift too if you put your boot down.