ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Official stance on where to take break

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
jd9442
Posts: 218
Joined: 22 Apr 2017, 20:57
Gender: Male

Official stance on where to take break

Post by jd9442 »

Is there one? The break that I can take whilst out delivering, can I say that I am returning to the office to take it?
hothothot
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 422
Joined: 06 Sep 2016, 13:15
Gender: Male

Official stance on where to take break

Post by hothothot »

I'm not sure there is one , I used to take 20 mins about half way through delivery to have a sandwich and coffee , then take 20 mins off the end.
deltaforce
Posts: 778
Joined: 01 Jan 2009, 15:29
Gender: Male

Official stance on where to take break

Post by deltaforce »

You are allowed to take it away from your place of work. Eating food in a dirty van with contamination from the pda and steering wheel and who knows where else. I think it reasonable to return to base, or do what I do and have the full 40 before I leave.
FirstPost
Posts: 675
Joined: 16 Aug 2018, 09:37
Gender: Female

Official stance on where to take break

Post by FirstPost »

deltaforce wrote:You are allowed to take it away from your place of work. Eating food in a dirty van with contamination from the pda and steering wheel and who knows where else. I think it reasonable to return to base, or do what I do and have the full 40 before I leave.
So you can take a break halfway through your round? People in my office are adamant you have to take it before you go out!
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Official stance on where to take break

Post by Celgar »

If full time postie the second twenty minutes when you get back from delivery. Line being fed to all new DOMs and any rule following DOMs is to take the first twenty minutes before you leave the office to start delivery.
Then you have another factor. In DOs where the walks are not long enough or there is pressure to increase walk length the union rep will get everyone to maybe take their whole break BEFORE they leave to make sure it is taken and to visibly use more of the duty time. This has happened at another DO near ours.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
FirstPost
Posts: 675
Joined: 16 Aug 2018, 09:37
Gender: Female

Official stance on where to take break

Post by FirstPost »

If the union has agreed a set time for posties to take a break is this set in stone? Can I take it when I want?
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16700
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Official stance on where to take break

Post by clashcityrocker »

FirstPost wrote:If the union has agreed a set time for posties to take a break is this set in stone? Can I take it when I want?
No. The Working Time Directive states that your manager can tell you when to take your break.
As we have collective bargaining that break is negotiated by the union on our behalf.
It isn't a matter of personal preference.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
mags999
Posts: 372
Joined: 25 Jun 2016, 11:05
Gender: Male

Official stance on where to take break

Post by mags999 »

take my break at the end or should I say leave 40 mins before end of duty time done this since 2nd deliveries were scrapped and delivery office was moved to new hub around 4 miles from delivery which makes it un workable to return for a break .
not sitting in poxy van to have it :nana .Its a very grey area
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12194
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Official stance on where to take break

Post by SpacePhoenix »

mags999 wrote:take my break at the end or should I say leave 40 mins before end of duty time done this since 2nd deliveries were scrapped and delivery office was moved to new hub around 4 miles from delivery which makes it un workable to return for a break .
not sitting in poxy van to have it :nana .Its a very grey area
It's not allowed for all of a break entitlement to be taken at the end of a shift (Working Time regs)
smartecosse
Posts: 131
Joined: 29 Jan 2019, 18:01
Gender: Male

Official stance on where to take break

Post by smartecosse »

The "nipping back to the depot" for your break doesn't really work if you are out pushing an HCT and the depot is a twenty minute walk away.

I am on a 27 1/2 hour contract so if I was to have a break before going out on the walk it would literally be half an hour to an hour depending on how busy it was after I got to work.

As I don't finish until after 2pm I'd rather have a break at lunch time and have something to eat. However, as mentioned its about a 20 minute walk to the depot, the walk I am on is all residential, no shops, cafes or even toilet facilities available anywhere close by.
compostcorner
Posts: 32
Joined: 31 May 2011, 15:14
Gender: Male

Official stance on where to take break

Post by compostcorner »

i always take a flask of tea and a snack out with me, us old uns need a 10 minute sit down about half way round
DE72
Posts: 4
Joined: 04 May 2010, 13:40
Gender: Male

Official stance on where to take break

Post by DE72 »

We take our 20m at a local farm cafe/shop (they let us eat our own food) half way round :nana

Don't bother on Tuesdays, we only have a 10min break time so have that before we leave
Jeppol
Posts: 50
Joined: 06 Sep 2011, 15:20
Gender: Male

Official stance on where to take break

Post by Jeppol »

I take my 40 minute break about 11.30 each morning, got a nice lay by on a very quiet country lane, butties , flask of coffee, ipad, nobody to bother me, I'm well happy.
dohnut
Posts: 658
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:15
Gender: Male

Official stance on where to take break

Post by dohnut »

Jeppol wrote:I take my 40 minute break about 11.30 each morning, got a nice lay by on a very quiet country lane, butties , flask of coffee, ipad, nobody to bother me, I'm well happy.
Yeah wish I was on cushy rural duty.
luddite
Posts: 451
Joined: 06 May 2008, 20:24

Official stance on where to take break

Post by luddite »

dohnut wrote:
Jeppol wrote:I take my 40 minute break about 11.30 each morning, got a nice lay by on a very quiet country lane, butties , flask of coffee, ipad, nobody to bother me, I'm well happy.
Yeah wish I was on cushy rural duty.
Why do you think its cushy?