I'm fairly new to the job.
My contract states only that my working week is 24 hours and that subject to a clause, I will be expected to do over time to suit business needs.
The contract however does not state over how many days I have to do the 24 hours.
Does this mean for example if I have 24 hours done by a Thursday, I am not obliged to work beyond that?
I was under the impression I was contracted to 5 days from 7, but it definitely does not state that in my contract.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
24 hour contract
-
Gasman11
- Posts: 272
- Joined: 29 Nov 2013, 14:07
- Gender: Male
24 hour contract
I'd imagine you'll be working 4 hours 48 mins per day (at a guess 9.42 start, 2.30 finish, give or take) from Monday to Saturday with one day off inbetween, usually Tuesday when you first start. The flexibility part will be if you've not completed your duty by half 2 you'll be expected to work for another 30 mins to complete (anything beyond that point would be voluntary overtime - the hard part when your new is its difficult to work out how long a duty will take to complete).
-
Imod
- Posts: 11
- Joined: 15 Jul 2019, 19:00
- Gender: Male
24 hour contract
Thanks for the reply.
Yes I have been asked to spread my 24 hrs over 5 days at 4.48 on my time sheet, but I'm not actually contracted to 5 days.
My start time can vary but for example if it's 0724, 4.48 takes me to 1212. If I have already went above 24 hours for the week, what am I obliged to work beyond 1212 on the days thereafter?
Yes I have been asked to spread my 24 hrs over 5 days at 4.48 on my time sheet, but I'm not actually contracted to 5 days.
My start time can vary but for example if it's 0724, 4.48 takes me to 1212. If I have already went above 24 hours for the week, what am I obliged to work beyond 1212 on the days thereafter?
-
Mask
- Posts: 18
- Joined: 04 Sep 2017, 13:09
- Gender: Male
24 hour contract
Might be worth asking your rep, although I'm pretty sure if they're expecting you to start at 0724 then you can finish at 1212 unless you want the overtime.Imod wrote:Thanks for the reply.
Yes I have been asked to spread my 24 hrs over 5 days at 4.48 on my time sheet, but I'm not actually contracted to 5 days.
My start time can vary but for example if it's 0724, 4.48 takes me to 1212. If I have already went above 24 hours for the week, what am I obliged to work beyond 1212 on the days thereafter?
-
Gasman11
- Posts: 272
- Joined: 29 Nov 2013, 14:07
- Gender: Male
24 hour contract
Assuming you're working as a postie, I'm unsure why your dom would want you in at 7.24am to do indoor work when a 24 hour contract is designed to predominantly cover the delivery aspect of the job. Unless your unit has the need for extra indoor work and your dom is offering you the early start as overtime with the expectation that you'll be working up to your normal finish time of roughly 2.30. Think you need to have a chat with your dom to get clarity over your contract.
-
Imod
- Posts: 11
- Joined: 15 Jul 2019, 19:00
- Gender: Male
24 hour contract
I think you could be right by saying the early start is o/t & it is expected that I finish the duty, but expectation is not a requirement. Certainly not when I'm expected to work until 5pm or later on occasions.
I don't mind it normally but some days I'd like to be finished a bit earlier so I'm just trying to gauge where I stand
I don't mind it normally but some days I'd like to be finished a bit earlier so I'm just trying to gauge where I stand
-
Gasman11
- Posts: 272
- Joined: 29 Nov 2013, 14:07
- Gender: Male
24 hour contract
My understanding is that flexibility bit is 30 mins per day, so assuming your contractual finish time is 2.30pm, you cannot be forced to work beyond 3.00pm ie that would be of your choosing whether you want to or not.
-
ihatedogs
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 547
- Joined: 03 Nov 2010, 18:53
- Gender: Male
24 hour contract
Just to clarify, the 30 minutes flexibility is voluntary so you can't be forced to work over. The agreement also states that the time must be given back in the same week.Gasman11 wrote:My understanding is that flexibility bit is 30 mins per day, so assuming your contractual finish time is 2.30pm, you cannot be forced to work beyond 3.00pm ie that would be of your choosing whether you want to or not.
Of course, it's easy for a long term postie like myself to say this, as a newbie you'll,I would imagine, be keen to create a good impression with regards to overtime/flexibility.
Hopefully you have a decent rep, get him behind you so you know where you stand, and don't work for free. Take your break as well.
-
picture123
- Posts: 121
- Joined: 22 Oct 2014, 20:42
- Gender: Male
24 hour contract
If the office requires you to work 5 days then you're 4:48 a day. If you work over and above that on a particular day you claim overtime. You're 4:48 should start from the office/duty finish time back e. G. A 15:00 finish would be a 10:12 start time.
-
rambo1
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
- Gender: Male
24 hour contract
But you will still get paid for that 30 mins surely?Gasman11 wrote:My understanding is that flexibility bit is 30 mins per day, so assuming your contractual finish time is 2.30pm, you cannot be forced to work beyond 3.00pm ie that would be of your choosing whether you want to or not.
-
Newbie001
- Posts: 474
- Joined: 30 May 2014, 17:29
- Gender: Male
24 hour contract
Pretty sure 'flex' is once per week. With agreement you'll get back within that week. As theres no chance of that ever happening, middle finger is way to go.rambo1 wrote:But you will still get paid for that 30 mins surely?Gasman11 wrote:My understanding is that flexibility bit is 30 mins per day, so assuming your contractual finish time is 2.30pm, you cannot be forced to work beyond 3.00pm ie that would be of your choosing whether you want to or not.
Either its paid or it's not. Unless it's in writing or agreed by rep, don't agree to any flex.