ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

24 hour contract

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Imod
Posts: 11
Joined: 15 Jul 2019, 19:00
Gender: Male

24 hour contract

Post by Imod »

I'm fairly new to the job.

My contract states only that my working week is 24 hours and that subject to a clause, I will be expected to do over time to suit business needs.

The contract however does not state over how many days I have to do the 24 hours.

Does this mean for example if I have 24 hours done by a Thursday, I am not obliged to work beyond that?

I was under the impression I was contracted to 5 days from 7, but it definitely does not state that in my contract.
Gasman11
Posts: 272
Joined: 29 Nov 2013, 14:07
Gender: Male

24 hour contract

Post by Gasman11 »

I'd imagine you'll be working 4 hours 48 mins per day (at a guess 9.42 start, 2.30 finish, give or take) from Monday to Saturday with one day off inbetween, usually Tuesday when you first start. The flexibility part will be if you've not completed your duty by half 2 you'll be expected to work for another 30 mins to complete (anything beyond that point would be voluntary overtime - the hard part when your new is its difficult to work out how long a duty will take to complete).
Imod
Posts: 11
Joined: 15 Jul 2019, 19:00
Gender: Male

24 hour contract

Post by Imod »

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I have been asked to spread my 24 hrs over 5 days at 4.48 on my time sheet, but I'm not actually contracted to 5 days.

My start time can vary but for example if it's 0724, 4.48 takes me to 1212. If I have already went above 24 hours for the week, what am I obliged to work beyond 1212 on the days thereafter?
Mask
Posts: 18
Joined: 04 Sep 2017, 13:09
Gender: Male

24 hour contract

Post by Mask »

Imod wrote:Thanks for the reply.

Yes I have been asked to spread my 24 hrs over 5 days at 4.48 on my time sheet, but I'm not actually contracted to 5 days.

My start time can vary but for example if it's 0724, 4.48 takes me to 1212. If I have already went above 24 hours for the week, what am I obliged to work beyond 1212 on the days thereafter?
Might be worth asking your rep, although I'm pretty sure if they're expecting you to start at 0724 then you can finish at 1212 unless you want the overtime.
Gasman11
Posts: 272
Joined: 29 Nov 2013, 14:07
Gender: Male

24 hour contract

Post by Gasman11 »

Assuming you're working as a postie, I'm unsure why your dom would want you in at 7.24am to do indoor work when a 24 hour contract is designed to predominantly cover the delivery aspect of the job. Unless your unit has the need for extra indoor work and your dom is offering you the early start as overtime with the expectation that you'll be working up to your normal finish time of roughly 2.30. Think you need to have a chat with your dom to get clarity over your contract.
Imod
Posts: 11
Joined: 15 Jul 2019, 19:00
Gender: Male

24 hour contract

Post by Imod »

I think you could be right by saying the early start is o/t & it is expected that I finish the duty, but expectation is not a requirement. Certainly not when I'm expected to work until 5pm or later on occasions.

I don't mind it normally but some days I'd like to be finished a bit earlier so I'm just trying to gauge where I stand
Gasman11
Posts: 272
Joined: 29 Nov 2013, 14:07
Gender: Male

24 hour contract

Post by Gasman11 »

My understanding is that flexibility bit is 30 mins per day, so assuming your contractual finish time is 2.30pm, you cannot be forced to work beyond 3.00pm ie that would be of your choosing whether you want to or not.
ihatedogs
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 547
Joined: 03 Nov 2010, 18:53
Gender: Male

24 hour contract

Post by ihatedogs »

Gasman11 wrote:My understanding is that flexibility bit is 30 mins per day, so assuming your contractual finish time is 2.30pm, you cannot be forced to work beyond 3.00pm ie that would be of your choosing whether you want to or not.
Just to clarify, the 30 minutes flexibility is voluntary so you can't be forced to work over. The agreement also states that the time must be given back in the same week.
Of course, it's easy for a long term postie like myself to say this, as a newbie you'll,I would imagine, be keen to create a good impression with regards to overtime/flexibility.
Hopefully you have a decent rep, get him behind you so you know where you stand, and don't work for free. Take your break as well.
picture123
Posts: 121
Joined: 22 Oct 2014, 20:42
Gender: Male

24 hour contract

Post by picture123 »

If the office requires you to work 5 days then you're 4:48 a day. If you work over and above that on a particular day you claim overtime. You're 4:48 should start from the office/duty finish time back e. G. A 15:00 finish would be a 10:12 start time.
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

24 hour contract

Post by rambo1 »

Gasman11 wrote:My understanding is that flexibility bit is 30 mins per day, so assuming your contractual finish time is 2.30pm, you cannot be forced to work beyond 3.00pm ie that would be of your choosing whether you want to or not.
But you will still get paid for that 30 mins surely?
Newbie001
Posts: 474
Joined: 30 May 2014, 17:29
Gender: Male

24 hour contract

Post by Newbie001 »

rambo1 wrote:
Gasman11 wrote:My understanding is that flexibility bit is 30 mins per day, so assuming your contractual finish time is 2.30pm, you cannot be forced to work beyond 3.00pm ie that would be of your choosing whether you want to or not.
But you will still get paid for that 30 mins surely?
Pretty sure 'flex' is once per week. With agreement you'll get back within that week. As theres no chance of that ever happening, middle finger is way to go.
Either its paid or it's not. Unless it's in writing or agreed by rep, don't agree to any flex.