ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

New Managers that I don't like.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
p5aul789
Posts: 59
Joined: 18 Sep 2012, 10:03
Gender: Male

New Managers that I don't like.

Post by p5aul789 »

Firstly, I suffer from depression, and struggle with the job, I also don't like the job!

I am on a 25 hour contract.

For ages, I have been coming in late around 11am because I have been waiting for a van to return so I can go out!

I have been working on my own doing one walk.

On Thursday, it rained heavily and I got soaked through. It was one of those days, the PDA packed up, all the 739 cards got wet etc.

I brought back quite a few packets, because i had done my hours, did'nt have time to deliver and was Pissed off.

The new management did'nt like this, and made me deliver the packets the following day in a van, after my trolley walk.

They have no idea that I struggle with the job.

I said, I was not happy with this and was told, if I refused I would face disciplinary action.

I explaned in the meeting that I have been coming in late and going out alone which suits me. The main manager seemed ok with this. He also said if I came in at my normal time, I would have to go out with someone else and do two walks. There is also a young under manager who I don't like that has a power trip problem, who was there in the meeting.

My hours are supposed to be 9 to 2.


Today, I was told by the under manager to come in on Monday at 8.30 and go out with someone else to do two walks.

I asked him why i have to go out and do two walks, he said the other bloke does'nt drive, (A likely story)

I fear, this is now the shape of things to come.

He is going to keep trying to assert his power over me and is going to make my life a misery.

It's funny that the young manager is now trying to get me to come in earlier and go out and do two walks? A coincidence? I don't think so!

What can I do?
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

New Managers that I don't like.

Post by Jpro747 »

Come in at your contracted start time and finish at your contracted finish time! It’s that simple. You don’t have to start early or later if you don’t want. If you feel there is too much work and you think you won’t finish on time you follow the cutting off procedure by notifying your manager of this before you bundle up. This is Royal Mail’s problem not yours. Never let RM parasite managers mess you about! :thumbup
p5aul789
Posts: 59
Joined: 18 Sep 2012, 10:03
Gender: Male

New Managers that I don't like.

Post by p5aul789 »

Thanks for your reply. Doing two walks sounds like added pressure that I don't need! I also guarantee that we won't finish on time.

I did two walks with a girl a while ago ( who has since left) she was always complaining about not finishing on time.

Also, I think the new management have been bought in because too many people were bringing work back!

I fear they are going to argue that two people should be able to do two walks in five hours.

I have only been coming in later to do the one walk because it is easier for my mental wellbeing.
postslippete
Posts: 4198
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

New Managers that I don't like.

Post by postslippete »

p5aul789 wrote:Firstly, I suffer from depression, and struggle with the job, I also don't like the job!

I am on a 25 hour contract.

For ages, I have been coming in late around 11am because I have been waiting for a van to return so I can go out!

I have been working on my own doing one walk.

On Thursday, it rained heavily and I got soaked through. It was one of those days, the PDA packed up, all the 739 cards got wet etc.

I brought back quite a few packets, because i had done my hours, did'nt have time to deliver and was Pissed off.

The new management did'nt like this, and made me deliver the packets the following day in a van, after my trolley walk.

They have no idea that I struggle with the job.

I said, I was not happy with this and was told, if I refused I would face disciplinary action.

I explaned in the meeting that I have been coming in late and going out alone which suits me. The main manager seemed ok with this. He also said if I came in at my normal time, I would have to go out with someone else and do two walks. There is also a young under manager who I don't like that has a power trip problem, who was there in the meeting.

My hours are supposed to be 9 to 2.


Today, I was told by the under manager to come in on Monday at 8.30 and go out with someone else to do two walks.

I asked him why i have to go out and do two walks, he said the other bloke does'nt drive, (A likely story)

I fear, this is now the shape of things to come.

He is going to keep trying to assert his power over me and is going to make my life a misery.

It's funny that the young manager is now trying to get me to come in earlier and go out and do two walks? A coincidence? I don't think so!

What can I do?

So you come in at 11 and finish at 2pm (you work 3 hours a day) yet you say that are on a 25 hour contract - how does that work?? Are you on rehab or summat for your depression? Surely any manager worth their salt will get you working your contracted hours by sharing the van and working in pairs rather than have you enjoying your lie-in everyday and still finishing early. Sorry bud, but if it were me and you said that you would prefer to work alone then I would have you working when there is a van available at 11 and then working till 4pm. That way you're still working your contracted hours.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
chrisj
Posts: 1883
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
Gender: Male

New Managers that I don't like.

Post by chrisj »

I am confused about this post! Most posties do not have a choice working in pairs. And the worst deliveries rarely go over 5 hours. So if you leave the office at say 9.50, you should be back by 2.30 or so. That is still less than 5 hours. Find out your start and finish times, as well as your break, then work your contract...
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

New Managers that I don't like.

Post by greengiant »

You mention you are on a trolley walk, so why do you need to wait on a van being available?
Bahia Feliz
Posts: 1169
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
Gender: Male

New Managers that I don't like.

Post by Bahia Feliz »

greengiant wrote:You mention you are on a trolley walk, so why do you need to wait on a van being available?
I wondered that as well
p5aul789
Posts: 59
Joined: 18 Sep 2012, 10:03
Gender: Male

New Managers that I don't like.

Post by p5aul789 »

If I am on a trolley walk then I don't have to wait for a van. If I start around 11am, I then work till around 4pm. And work 5 hours.

If I know i am on a trolley walk I can come in earlier.

I don't finish early, I always work 5 hours.

I told the last manager that I suffered from depression, he was decent about it. For some reason or other, I have nearly always worked alone, doing one walk. Maybe because i'm part time and low on the pecking order, others have regular walks and partners.
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

New Managers that I don't like.

Post by Jpro747 »

p5aul789 wrote:Thanks for your reply. Doing two walks sounds like added pressure that I don't need! I also guarantee that we won't finish on time.

I did two walks with a girl a while ago ( who has since left) she was always complaining about not finishing on time.

Also, I think the new management have been bought in because too many people were bringing work back!

I fear they are going to argue that two people should be able to do two walks in five hours.

I have only been coming in later to do the one walk because it is easier for my mental wellbeing.
Don’t put too much pressure on yourself to try and complete the work in the time. Make sure you look after yourself, work at a safe and reasonable speed and take breaks. It doesn’t matter what management say is achievable you tell them your only willing to work your hours and will cut off if need be. Just make sure you follow the procedure and don’t bring back work without phoning them as soon as you know you won’t complete.
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

New Managers that I don't like.

Post by greengiant »

p5aul789 wrote:If I am on a trolley walk then I don't have to wait for a van. If I start around 11am, I then work till around 4pm. And work 5 hours.

If I know i am on a trolley walk I can come in earlier.

I don't finish early, I always work 5 hours.

I told the last manager that I suffered from depression, he was decent about it. For some reason or other, I have nearly always worked alone, doing one walk. Maybe because i'm part time and low on the pecking order, others have regular walks and partners.
Perhaps worth speaking to your union rep?
postieblueshirt
Posts: 1241
Joined: 01 Oct 2019, 22:05
Gender: Male

New Managers that I don't like.

Post by postieblueshirt »

How do you manage to do special delivery's starting at 11am? If your on foot I mean if you were driving you could do them first but if your walking how do u do specials that are near the end of your walk
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

New Managers that I don't like.

Post by aiden01 »

greengiant wrote:
p5aul789 wrote:If I am on a trolley walk then I don't have to wait for a van. If I start around 11am, I then work till around 4pm. And work 5 hours.

If I know i am on a trolley walk I can come in earlier.

I don't finish early, I always work 5 hours.

I told the last manager that I suffered from depression, he was decent about it. For some reason or other, I have nearly always worked alone, doing one walk. Maybe because i'm part time and low on the pecking order, others have regular walks and partners.
Perhaps worth speaking to your union rep?
Maybe a refferal to oh assist or whatever they are called now would be your best option.. as they are qualified unlike rm managers.
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

New Managers that I don't like.

Post by NewPostieUK »

When you say 'do two walks', do you mean a van share duty? Also called Park and Loop. If so, then whats the problem? They are designed to be done in 5 hours. If you think you won't finish on time, use the over-running procedure. If it isn't fully prepped when you get in, you have a good excuse to do this (also known as cutting off).

Also, remind the manager you get a 30 minute break, so you should be doing 4.5 hrs work.

Get the rep to explain the over-running procedure to you.
p5aul789
Posts: 59
Joined: 18 Sep 2012, 10:03
Gender: Male

New Managers that I don't like.

Post by p5aul789 »

Yes, I mean a shared van duty! I never have any breaks, if I did we would not finish on time! As said before, I have been out on shared duty doing two walks before just working all the way through to finish.

See my post in " Who else thinks the job is crap"!

My problem is that the job is driving me f***ing mad!
p5aul789
Posts: 59
Joined: 18 Sep 2012, 10:03
Gender: Male

New Managers that I don't like.

Post by p5aul789 »

postieblueshirt wrote:How do you manage to do special delivery's starting at 11am? If your on foot I mean if you were driving you could do them first but if your walking how do u do specials that are near the end of your walk

I always get the specials done if i'm in a van, I do them first and get them out of the way! I rarely get any specials at the end of a trolley walk.